PDA

View Full Version : Silverado vibration\noise?

godtool
12-04-2007, 05:33 PM
I took my 2003 Silverado 3/4 ton 4x4 to the Chevy Dealer in town yesterday to fix a vibration\noise. They figured it was u-joints so they replaced both rear driveshaft u-joints and the vibration\sound is still there. It tends to vibrate after 90 km/h. Its a fine vibration you can detect through the steering wheel but it is most noticeable as a driveline vib. (I think) and is accompanied by noise also. My driveline is the 6.6 Turbo Duramax with 5 speed Allison. It only occurs when you accelerate up hill or even accelerate downhill and again only over 90 km/h. The vib\noise is gone when idling along or coasting. I have over 150,000 kms on it too. I thought maybe someone here can point us in the right direction. You all have helped me in the past so maybe again?

When I took it in I thought it may be the turbo or loose exhaust.

:confused0006:

duff
12-04-2007, 05:35 PM
check the front u-joints? is it a 2 peice drive shaft in the rear?

godtool
12-05-2007, 06:54 AM
Its a single piece driveshaft. CV joints in front. It has push button 4 wheel drive so in 2 High the front driveshaft does not turn (diff unlocks), but the cv joints still spin with the wheels. I had one wheel bearing on front changed last winter. Maybe other wheel bearing is going but when last wheel bearing went vib\howling noise was way less.

I'm thinking they would have already checked the wheel bearings. I wonder if it could be a tire? Would not they have checked the tires too??:dontknow:

duff
12-05-2007, 10:48 AM
one would hope they would have checked everything before replaceing anything

bakelite
12-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Take it back. :dontknow:

duff
12-05-2007, 02:49 PM
yep the sooner the better

godtool
12-06-2007, 06:51 AM
My truck is slotted in for Tuesday. Everything is covered by warranty so far;) . Maybe its internal, rear end? Tranny\t-case bearing? I guess I'll find out Tuesday. They are doing a good job. Two of their mechanics were off on holiday when my truck was in so less guys to confer with. I'm glad I now have two new rear u-joints:D

godtool
12-07-2007, 11:13 AM
Yesterday hooking up our trailer I noticed reddish-brown oil drips in the snow. So today I put the truck up on the ramps in the garage. Sure enough its tranny oil leaking most likely from the main input shaft seal. I bet the bearing behind the main input seal is shot, and as usual the seal is 2nd to go. I bet that bearing is the source of my vib. and noise. Maybe the seal just started leaking? My oil level is down a bit but not drastic. I guess I'll find out Tuesday.

Recently I've been checking my tranny oil colour and it has been looking good. Jim at Central even said so a week or so ago it looked good and recommended I change the external filter. I've been aiming to buy a filter and oil. I guess its finally time to change:D

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/godtool/IMG_3734.jpg

Growly Gorilla
12-08-2007, 08:28 AM
Two of their mechanics were off on holiday when my truck was in so less guys to confer with.

Holidays?

I'm at school(trust me NOT a holiday) and the other guy has had surgery on his elbow.

Hope they figure out the problem Cory,have you changed tires lately?
Make sure you tell them anything that has been done to your truck lately,especially right around the time it started vibrating,and you go out for a roadtest either with jim or the tech who is working on your truck,you and only you knows what that sound is,someone else may think it's normal. And sorry I can't diagnose it over the net.:dontknow:

godtool
12-11-2007, 07:20 AM
Thanks Growly! Forgot you went to school. I did change my tires\rims to my snow set a couple months ago. The vib\howl you don't hear just cruising along or coasting but under hard acceleration uphill or downhill there in an unnormal vib\howl. But now that the tranny is leaking I need to have that looked at asap. I can't remember when I first heard the vib\howl but it has been progressively getting worse. I have the truck booked in till after lunch today. I'll check with them about my tires\rims.

521 Ford
12-13-2007, 01:30 PM
Good call Growly, it makes a world of difference to the tech if he knows what he is trying to fix, and if its getting worse it might be easier to diagnose.(I know that sounds bad but its true). Many times on difficult or intermittant problems I make the customer take me for a drive - its important you drive so the noise shows up - so I know the circumstances its created. Also try to provide as much info as possible, hot,cold, highway, stop go, speed windows etc. The system dealers run on isnt forgiving to lengthy diagnostics so the more info the better. Hope they get it figured out.
cheers.

godtool
12-13-2007, 05:12 PM
Found out today they drained t-case and there was metal pieces. So t-case is coming out along with tranny. All under warranty[36] Its booked in for next Thursday and Friday. Its ok to drive it around the house and to the corner store till then:D. Jim is all smiles, me too:)

Growly Gorilla
12-13-2007, 10:49 PM
right on[36]

godtool
01-29-2008, 07:46 AM
Well, well, the snow finally melted last week so I could go a 100 km/hr and the vibration\droning is still there. :( :( :(

We had to go to Chilliwack this weekend so the vibration vibrated my eardrums most of the way down there but more on the way back up through the canyon.:mad:

Based on my 12 hrs of continous driving this weekend, I've researched the vibration\droning starts at around 95 km/hr and then slackens off by the time I reach 120 km/hr. I got my wheels balanced yesterday in Chilliwack and the vib\droning is still there. Its really loud\intense when pushing it up hill at 100 km/hr. I can compare the vib.\droning to when you drive over that uneven pavement in the centerline or along the white line. Of course there is no tire noise or as loud. Many times when going up steep hills at 100, the vib\drone really gets intense\loud and I think I'm crossing the centerline or white line but I'm still in the middle of my lane. My truck is going in on the 31st so I'm going to licence my Jimmy till they get this problem solved. So far my rear driveshaft u-joints have been replaced, transfercase tailstock bushing\bearing, and output shaft seal of transmission. The vib\drone disappears completely when coasting or when I let off the pedal for a second or more. Any ideas before I take it in? I was told by the service manager at Mertin's in Chwk they had a Tahoe in recently. They had similar noise and the took most of the driveline apart to diagnose the problem.

My truck specs are:
2003 Silverado HD2500 4x4
6.6 Duramax with 5spd Allison Tranny
3:73 gears

521 Ford
01-29-2008, 10:35 AM
Road speed, and torque sensitive sounds like a rear end. Pinion bearings,gear
set, pinion flange runnout (though less likely if it wasn't there before), can
you tell if its front or rear? Any chance side loading changes the sound (ie turns - I know thats pretty fast to be turning but you gotta ask).

godtool
01-30-2008, 08:19 AM
When in 2 High, I'm pretty certain my front axle disengages in the diff but the cv joints continue to spin since I have no manual locking hubs. I don't know if the hubs disengage electronically. I got that push button 4wd. If the cv joints spin all the time the front gear set would be turning too??

I'm pretty sure its coming from the rear. As far as I know it vibrates around corners to since I was giver'ing it up thru the fraser canyon.

Thanks for the ideas, I'll mention them to the service manager.

godtool
02-25-2008, 07:10 AM
Finally got my truck back on Thursday, Feb. 21st, after being at the dealer for 3 weeks. They had it up on the hoist last week and someone saw a shaft of sunlight through between the diff tube mount and spring pack. They tightened up the u-bolts and no more vibration!!!