PDA

View Full Version : Alternator $$ ??

rx7chik
11-28-2007, 12:01 AM
My BF just bought a '94 Cherokee last week, had to put a new battery in it on Sunday only to discover yesterday that his alternator is shot.

We did some calling around and got prices ranging from $120 up to $280 for rebuilt (the $280 had to be out of wack [wako] because I was also given that price for new).

It's a 4L, with AC, power windows, steering, etc. I know there are different amperages (sp?) for different vehicles so I think we're being quoted on apples and oranges!

Anyone have an idea of what a reasonable price would be? Where do you guys go for this stuff?

[cheers]

HEAVY METAL
11-28-2007, 07:34 AM
poor bastard...

Kinslayer
11-28-2007, 11:15 PM
Go to Gary's on River Road, he'll have shit pulled and ready for probably 50 bucks.

Lynx
11-29-2007, 05:58 AM
if you give lordco or napa a call it shouldn't be over 120 bucks.

Just ask them to send over their highest amperage one. Might be a few bucks more it'll be worth it for when you start adding more electrical crap.

I think the electrical connections were on the wrong but everything still reached fine.

barracuda
11-29-2007, 08:52 AM
mr sparks in maple ridge is pretty good on those sorts of things . you can also get the parts to rebuild it for pretty cheap from them.
the amperage is very often stamped somwhere on the body of the alt so look over it carefully to see if you can find it

B
11-29-2007, 09:49 AM
a new one for yours would be a bosch al6509n i show 321 as list on it ...

i can get it down to 220 .... u don't want a rebiult for ur truck as it will cause u more problems ... in are experiance with them here ...

B
11-29-2007, 10:27 AM
check that i can get it down to 200 ... good luck

Lynx
11-29-2007, 04:57 PM
yea I would try for a new one...

My rebuilt bosch starts fucking up when a little bit of muddy water gets in, I just blow it out with a hose and its fine.

rx7chik
11-29-2007, 07:02 PM
Thanks guys

Lordco had quoted $140, but we figured they had to be quoting on either the wrong one or a piece of junk when we got higher prices for a rebuilt. :dontknow:

a new one for yours would be a bosch al6509n i show 321 as list on it ...

i can get it down to 220 .... u don't want a rebiult for ur truck as it will cause u more problems ... in are experiance with them here ...

ended up with a rebuilt...I wish I had posted on Monday when we first started checking prices.:(

check that i can get it down to 200 ... good luck

Damn, he didn't pay much less for the rebuilt :eek: it does have a bit of a warrantee but for the price difference it would have been worth going with a new one. If we have any problems I know who to call...

[cheers]