PDA

View Full Version : good or bad idea.

Toyquad
11-26-2007, 10:32 AM
with it bein cold up here, i let my truck warm up for 10-15 minutes before i drive it. Is it a good or bad idea to put the t case in neutral and tranny in say 3rd and let it run while it warms up? e brake works good yada yada yada..........

is there something else to run in the tranny& diffs other then 80w90?

its a 87 toy 4x4

UU
11-26-2007, 10:44 AM
How cold is it ?

Apathy
11-26-2007, 11:09 AM
I wouldn't put the T-case in neutral. Just the tranny

Trooper
11-26-2007, 11:27 AM
I have heard that idling a cold engine to operating temp is the worst thing you can do for all your 02 senseers and cat. With my diesels I just start and go, not giving it much gas. Takes about 4 minutes for them to warm up. It takes 20 Mins to warm them up from idle.

g-rod
11-26-2007, 11:32 AM
I have heard that idling a cold engine to operating temp is the worst thing you can do for all your 02 senseers and cat. With my diesels I just start and go, not giving it much gas. Takes about 4 minutes for them to warm up. It takes 20 Mins to warm them up from idle.

man that must be cold, somewheres i heard that putting ur t case in N and tranny in gear is better for it, i dont remember why, or where, but i remember haha pretty much unless post.. but i heard it! haha:confused0006:

yoda thrills
11-26-2007, 11:36 AM
tell me more, wut duz that do putting the t-case in N nd tranny in gear???
i dont got an e brake so im fucked im fucked i guess?

UU
11-26-2007, 11:52 AM
warm up the tranny fluids

but I would just drive it easy for the first few k

Toyquad
11-26-2007, 12:02 PM
well, it needs to be warmed up, if you just scrap windows and drive the window just ices up as you drive, which makes you go through a jug of washer fluid a week, trust me, i did that for the first while. Also when i didnt warm it up the tranny was hard to shift until it warmed up. Not to mention it takes forever for the engine to warm up while driving when its -10 to -15.

when i let it warm up, tranny shifts better, its warm when i get in, and the window doesnt ice up as you drive.

Toyquad
11-26-2007, 12:04 PM

my gas engine is the opposite. takes forever to warm up while driving, but 5-10 mins of idling and its toasty warm inside.

and i rather it be bad for my engine to let it idle then to try and drive with fogged up and icey windows.[16]

Toyquad
11-26-2007, 12:07 PM
tell me more, wut duz that do putting the t-case in N nd tranny in gear???
i dont got an e brake so im fucked im fucked i guess?

like warlord said, allows the gears in the tranny to turn but no power goes to the wheels cause the t case is in neutral, thus heating up the tranny fluid. making it easier to shift.. If you block your wheels or park on flat ground you dont need the e brake as long as it doesnt roll. I only put my e brake works cause i know some know it all retard would have replied " what if the t case magicaly pops itself into gear and the truck drives away"

B
11-26-2007, 12:53 PM

it is bad if they sit and idle all day ... waiting for it to come up to temp is never a bad thing and with driving bthe big rigs for years we had a idle control and as long as u idled @ a higher rpm ie 850 or so they could go for day's no problem ... slept a few cold night with the truck running all night [cheers]

Murd0c
11-26-2007, 04:32 PM
just get a block heater and plug it in if your worried[f]

Troy
11-26-2007, 04:40 PM
only way a motor (cars and light truck) is going to get up to operating temperature within a short amount of time is to drive it.

Toyquad
11-26-2007, 05:08 PM
just get a block heater and plug it in if your worried[f]

im not worried about the motor. It starts great. MY question was about the tranny.

Toyquad
11-26-2007, 05:13 PM
only way a motor (cars and light truck) is going to get up to operating temperature within a short amount of time is to drive it.

i call bullshit, mine warms up quicker if i let it idle . plus its kinda hard to get in and drive when there frost on the winshield and when a person gets into a cold vehicle, their breathe fogs up the inside..... i like to see where im going thanks

England
11-26-2007, 05:47 PM
go cry me a river ...with bacon in it

Toyquad
11-26-2007, 05:52 PM
go cry me a river ...with bacon in it

mmmmmmmmmmmmm bacon...... having some of that for dinner tonite. breakfast for dinner :party0010:

Troy
12-06-2007, 09:16 PM
just get a little 120volt ceramic heater and put it in the cab so it keeps the frost/ice off the window. run a cord to the house it works good.

Toyquad
12-06-2007, 10:29 PM
apparently people cant read, or comprehend what im asking.

what i wanted to know was, is it a good or bad idea to put the t case in neutral and tranny in gear while letting it warm up ( which i have no problem doing since i like getting into a warm vehicle with clear windows that arent gonna fog& ice up as soon as i start drving)

tranny shifts better with it warm, so i thought leaving it in gear with engine running and t case in neutral would warm up the fluid.

Chody
12-06-2007, 11:14 PM
not a bad idea lol

Big_Ern
12-07-2007, 12:58 AM
well, it needs to be warmed up, if you just scrap windows and drive the window just ices up as you drive, which makes you go through a jug of washer fluid a week, trust me, i did that for the first while. Also when i didnt warm it up the tranny was hard to shift until it warmed up. Not to mention it takes forever for the engine to warm up while driving when its -10 to -15.

when i let it warm up, tranny shifts better, its warm when i get in, and the window doesnt ice up as you drive.

Redline MT90 in the Tranny & tcase helps huge for improving cold shifts. I put some in my old DD 4runner that was getting hard shifting, and it made a big difference.

Its expensive full synthetic gearoil, but its worth the price IMO[cheers]

B
12-07-2007, 01:10 AM
all the light duty 5 speeds run atf as well as the tcases way cheaper than synthetic does the same job not heavy weight that will thicken when cold ......

:D

drama

oh and
start it in fuckin gear for all i care ....

[22]

Nutbar
12-07-2007, 01:31 AM
Okay here is a reasonably inteligent answer to your question . . . in a standard trans all of the gears themselves are always spinning when the engine is running and the clutch is engaged, the input shaft is spinning which spins a cluster shaft which spins the gears on the mainshaft(output shaft) there is just no load on them so they don't generate any real friction/heat, but when in nuetral none of the gears on the mainshaft are locked to the mainshaft so the only thing not spinning is the mainshaft so the only advantage to putting the trans in gear and the tcase in nuetral is less wear on the mainshaft of the transmision and that will be negated in the fact that now your tcase is also spinning and putting extra wear on it.

Toyquad
12-07-2007, 09:25 AM
thanks for good good advice. I think i'll continue to keep letting it warm up, and change out the gear oil to that redline stuff.

flipper
12-07-2007, 09:59 PM
I'm using red line (found at mopac) mt90 in trany and tcase and their gear oil in in my diffs, less friction, maybe I'll eek out that extra h/p from my squirrel. Amsoil is another great synthetic found mostly through private dealers. Rain x has a anti fog for interior glass and deicer fluid that works great.