PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Chevy 2500 HD ~ Wont Start ~ PLEASE HELP!!!!

ShortStack
11-20-2007, 10:25 PM
Robs at a loss as to what the problem is with his truck, he's going to be getting it towed to dealer probably Thursday but I thought I'd try and see if anyone has had this problem or knows what it could be .........

What happened:
- Ran out of fuel, pushed truck to gas station. Put some fuel in it, not registering on fuel gauge (yes with key on :p ) Tried to start it and it would crank but not start or even cough/sputter.
-Checked fuses in parking lot were ok & wasn't getting fuel to the shraeder(?) valve.
*as truck died the security light flashed on the dash which never flashes.

-Got it towed home and theres no power at relay, no power when jumping terminals, changed relay anyway.
-Changed fuel pump still wont start.
-dropped tank again, no power to pump
**yes i know changing parts is NOT the way to diagnose a problem, so does Rob**

Trying to find info on testing ign module on the 'net (haynes is apparently useless)

Dealer said if it was the Passlock that was tripped that it would start and die, start and die.

Superchip code reader is displaying: turn key to on position (flashing this) when the key IS in the on position.

No stock alarm, Aftermarket alarm starter kill isn't tripped.

ANY IDEAS ???????[cheers]

<I'm posting for Rob (Burge) since he doesn't have internet right now. His number is 604-788-7621 if you have something. He gets text messages>

:confused:

Clark
11-20-2007, 10:29 PM
Doesnt he have a stock immobilizer? well that sucks 2 hear tell him to come down a couple houses and have some drinks , tell him to bring that pimp shop ranger to lol

ShortStack
11-20-2007, 10:32 PM
thats what the passlock is (we think)

I was putting in OT but where were you when he needed someone to turn the key :P :confused0006:

Clark
11-20-2007, 10:44 PM
haha well old man says he can use the ranger for a while so not to worry [cheers]

diggger32
11-20-2007, 10:53 PM
if theres no power to the relay its the emergency shut off behind one of the kick panels
push the reset button and try again
its a shut off incase your in an accident
can be shut off just from a hard bump to the kick panel even

usually on passenger side kick panel

anyways worth a shot if you havent checked that out yet

aside from that push it to your local ford store and trade it in

ShortStack
11-20-2007, 11:11 PM
oooo thank you :) we'll try that too! [cheers]

if its on the driverside he DID almost miss jumping into the truck when it started to go down hill while he was pushing it , so he coulda kicked it hard enough :confused0006: hmmmm

kootenaycat
11-20-2007, 11:11 PM
Never seen an inertia switch on a Chevy, just Fords.

As for the passlock, try leaving the key on for 10 minutes, anti theft light should stop flashing, turn key off, then try to start.

duff
11-20-2007, 11:15 PM
is it a deisel?

ShortStack
11-20-2007, 11:15 PM
okay, i'll get him to do that too! I read that to him off a site last night but I dont think he did it. [cheers]

ShortStack
11-20-2007, 11:16 PM
oops its gas is it a deisel?

duff
11-20-2007, 11:22 PM
if ther is no power to the relay, double check your fuses, the ecm might ground the relay but the power to it should be fuseed, other wise good luck at the dealer probly cost you 100 bucks to get them to re-flash your comp.

ShortStack
11-20-2007, 11:31 PM
if ther is no power to the relay, double check your fuses, the ecm might ground the relay but the power to it should be fuseed, other wise good luck at the dealer probly cost you 100 bucks to get them to re-flash your comp.

We triple checked the fuses already, no such (cheap) luck lol . If the dealer is the only way then not much we can do, other than post here and find out what we're missing :) . We're both mechanics and he has a code reader, we just dont know the tricks of the newer chev's ;)

Thank you for all your help guys!!!!!! [d]

duff
11-20-2007, 11:36 PM
biggets trick with the newer stuff, is if you dont have the dealer scaner your screwed, hope it workes out for ya

Candy
11-21-2007, 01:59 AM
did y'all try push-starting the truck?? my buddys chevy wouldnt start after we put the quad in the back apparently it had a dead spot or something like that we tried everything to get it started turned out all we had to do was push'r and start :S if that makes sense im not good at explaining anything right now... but good luck

RIFF RAFF
11-21-2007, 07:28 AM
let us know whatit was when ya got it figured out..

In The Zone
11-21-2007, 08:03 AM
if you are not getting power to the fuel pump
then why change it?
the problem lies else where.
I would have thought that the relay would get it's signal from the ecm
if not your problem lies there....
no signal =no relay activation =,no fuel pump power= no start...

if the code reader is asking for key on ..... and it already is then the computron is faulted...some how must be a chevy thing....

Growly Gorilla
11-21-2007, 08:07 AM
Bad ground to the pump,pass lock problem or the ignition switch is pooched.

Burge
11-21-2007, 10:01 AM
I changed the pump before I checked things out proplerly, The fuel pump relay gets fused power from the ecm, Im not getting power to the relay. I gotta get the dealer to reseset the security light. Wish I would have troubleshooted the problem before making asumptions. Owell 20/20 in hein sight. Thanks fror the input guys!

mini
11-21-2007, 10:59 AM
Never seen an inertia switch on a Chevy, just Fords.

As for the passlock, try leaving the key on for 10 minutes, anti theft light should stop flashing, turn key off, then try to start.

all vehicles have an inertia switch. it is mandated that they all have to have one

ShortStack
11-21-2007, 03:24 PM
I changed the pump before I checked things out proplerly, The fuel pump relay gets fused power from the ecm, Im not getting power to the relay. I gotta get the dealer to reseset the security light. Wish I would have troubleshooted the problem before making asumptions. Owell 20/20 in hein sight. Thanks fror the input guys!

another words he panics [d]
[16]

Growly Gorilla
11-21-2007, 06:12 PM
all vehicles have an inertia switch. it is mandated that they all have to have one

UMMMMMMMMMm

YOUR WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GM never used one.

In The Zone
11-21-2007, 06:50 PM
what does GM use on efi vehicles for fuel shutoff in the case of a accident ?

just curious...:cool:

duff
11-21-2007, 06:56 PM
nothing, only oil pressure switch

In The Zone
11-21-2007, 06:56 PM
ic................................................ .

duff
11-21-2007, 06:58 PM
bc??????????????????????

nbrowser
11-21-2007, 09:10 PM
This might sound incredibly stupid, but does the cigarette lighter socket work ? if not replace that fuse

kootenaycat
11-21-2007, 11:20 PM

Chances all they are going to do is try the key on for 10 minutes, if that doesn't work, I seem to recall the next protocol in Passlock is key on for 1 hour to reset. Took a one night course last year on anti-theft, haven't had to put it to much use at work yet though! :D

Is the security light flashing with the key on? If so, definitely a passlock problem. Should read out a couple of codes, U1526 is a common one for this problem I think?

Let us know when you get 'er fixed

Growly Gorilla
11-22-2007, 08:17 AM
[stupid] :s30x: