PDA

View Full Version : Welding diffs

bakelite
11-16-2007, 07:07 PM
I've been searching all over and can't find a real good write up on welding the diffs on an older, early 80's toy. I pretty much need pictures as I've never done one before. Any help would be appreciated. From what I have found I can just weld the spiders in a few spots and be good :dontknow:

Just for an off road only thing I am playing with using junk I got, cheapo build kinda thing. Thanks. [cheers]

kylemartz
11-16-2007, 09:37 PM
weld the shit outa the gears together and if ur not worried about the carrier weld the gears to that, ive got a shitty third with welded spyders and 4.10's if interested

toyota_dan
11-16-2007, 09:41 PM
lots of ways to do it, your basicly looking to stop the spider gears from rotating....some people just weld till they fill the whole center of the carrier solid, some people weld the contact points on the spider gears on both sides and call it good, some people say thats a bad idea and weld the spiders strait to the carrier... heres what i did.

weld the contact "corners" of the 4 spider/side gears on one side together so that the gears wont rotate anymore and cut a square piece of thick(1/2" or so) mild steel to fit tightly into the opening of the spider gears on the other side and weld it to the gears the whole way round aswell....i liked this method as it left a strong solid center instead of just a few short beads on the gears themselves and i didnt have to spend an hour and a full pack of rods filling it to achieve that...

some people say preheat the gears first before welding, some people do it cold, mine was done cold and it's holding up good... make sure not to cover the splined axle openings with weld or the piece of steel as your axles do protrude into the center of the spider gear opening a small amount.i also welded the spiders to the side of the carrier aswell casue i was already in there and figured what the hell. also clean it up good, slag and spatter = bad news

killer toy
11-16-2007, 10:13 PM
the more weld the better....

Toyquad
11-16-2007, 10:26 PM
take carrier out of diff. remove ring gear and bearings. put in oven and heat it slowly for a few hours. take it out, weld spider to side gears and side gears to the case. put back in oven and slowly cool for a few hours. re install ring gear and bearings. simple .

TWOZEROFOUR
11-17-2007, 01:05 AM
last months Can4x4 one of the best things i have read on welding diffs, and i like the style they do it.. and yes i Can reed

In The Zone
11-17-2007, 07:03 AM
Just remove it clean it and weld it ............

bakelite
11-17-2007, 07:47 AM
alright....thanks [cheers]

barracuda
11-17-2007, 08:29 AM
remove ,clean with brake clean and weld. do not just fill a couple of teeth on the spider gear so that so that the spider gears move then bind ,weld it solid so that there is no movement. I normally weld the sidegears to the case and the spiders together

Bounty Hunter
11-27-2007, 07:16 PM
How strong are welded diffs?

Mud Slinging Dumb Fawker
11-27-2007, 07:45 PM
my diff is welded and i love it here is a pic of a welded diff

KINGCRUISER
11-27-2007, 08:27 PM
last months Can4x4 one of the best things i have read on welding diffs, and i like the style they do it.. and yes i Can reed

I read that too but they did alot of work to just get a welded third. If your doing it on the landcruiser it is real simple. Take out the third and clean all the oil off it. Find something to keep the spider gears spread apart so your center pin and c clips still fit. Make sure ring gear and pinion gear are antispatered or covered in some way. Secure ground so that it does not need to arc through bearings. Heta gears till they are smoking hot and all signs of oil are gone. Start welding, when I did it I just welded the spider gears to each other, and its been holding up to 38 bogs for almost a year.