PDA

View Full Version : couple questions

BAM
11-14-2007, 01:53 PM
350 .30 over...

first how many GPM does the stock water pump push?

second.. im buying an electric water pump.. how many GPM is good the one im lookin at does 35 (seems plenty to me?)

also. buying a fuel pump? any suggestions for where to buy (fuel and water pump)

lastly what kind of ignition setup to use ( dont know much about 350's yet)... was looking into msd units but starts getting pretty pricey with all the junk..

any info/suggestions appreciated [cheers] [cheers]

Kinslayer
11-14-2007, 02:42 PM
By electric fuel pump i'm assuming you have TBI 350 yeah? you'll need any fuel pump that will push 8-14 PSI if it is.

Always broke
11-14-2007, 03:35 PM
By electric fuel pump i'm assuming you have TBI 350 yeah? you'll need any fuel pump that will push 8-14 PSI if it is.Please tell me your kidding????? fuel ingection needs more and carb need less so ????????

Growly Gorilla
11-14-2007, 03:44 PM
is your 350 carbed or TBI?

Growly Gorilla
11-14-2007, 03:47 PM
I had a .30 350 with flat top pistons,ran the stock ign.set-up with a MSD coil and wires and had no problems with it.It was also TBI.The one thing i wish I had changed was the tbi,the cfm's sucked!

Growly Gorilla
11-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Please tell me your kidding????? fuel ingection needs more and carb need less so ????????

TBI uses very little pressure,not like direct injection that needs 50-60 psi.

Jeepnut
11-14-2007, 03:49 PM
350 .30 over...

first how many GPM does the stock water pump push?

second.. im buying an electric water pump.. how many GPM is good the one im lookin at does 35 (seems plenty to me?)

also. buying a fuel pump? any suggestions for where to buy (fuel and water pump)

lastly what kind of ignition setup to use ( dont know much about 350's yet)... was looking into msd units but starts getting pretty pricey with all the junk..

any info/suggestions appreciated [cheers] [cheers]

I have everything down to the wires for you 350. MSD,distributor,wires.......let me know if your interested

BAM
11-14-2007, 04:01 PM
engine is carburated..

also for cooling.. im running my rad in the box... what are guys using as far as keepin it cool? stock rads or...... summers are hot here and i dont wanna have any issues

Kinslayer
11-14-2007, 04:31 PM
Please tell me your kidding????? fuel ingection needs more and carb need less so ????????

Chevy TBI is really low compared to other injection systems (ie ford etc)..8-14 is the range it needs to be in, Fords are up in the 30s I think.

Carbs don't need 'pressure' so to speak, just enough volume to fill up the float. - injection relies on the pressure to vapourize the fuel where I think carbs use vacuum like an airbrush I guess...not really sure but that's how I understand it.

engine is carburated..

also for cooling.. im running my rad in the box... what are guys using as far as keepin it cool? stock rads or...... summers are hot here and i dont wanna have any issues

Get a couple of 2 speed ford taurus fans, or one 2 speed and some other, lesser, single speed fan for constant use...i've never set up a remote rad like that but i'd suspect you would need a beefier water pump to be able to push it that far (down under the cab, then back up into the box to the radiator)..you might want to look into running the stock water pump, and a second electric inline pump..maybe triggered by a temp sensor or something...shit that might work TOO well, hehehe.

tenpack
11-14-2007, 05:19 PM
ive never ran a rad in my bed, but i can tell you:

for my decent built sbc on propane, i was told by a reputable builder that a stock water pump flows fine, but he did suggest a 160*C t-stat. I'd suggest somethiung around there for easier cooling

Igntion is pretty simple, im running a MSD street-fire HEI distrubutor w/internal coil, MSD 8.5 plug wires. I got the cut-to-length ones, what a pain in the ass. I should have ordered to the pre-cut ones.

BeerBaron Sr.
11-19-2007, 01:44 PM
StewartComponents for your water pump,they build there own pumps and
will move 75% more coolant than a stock GM pump.I use one on my
Big Block hot rod.Works as advertised. stewartcomponents.com