PDA

View Full Version : Trac bar mount

Irwin
11-09-2007, 07:17 PM
I have a 89 cherokee, and my trac bar mount breaks all the time, i have no idea what the he** is wrong with it, any ideas?:dontknow:

Leithmc
11-10-2007, 07:46 AM
Is it stock? Does it break at the frame or axle? Let's see a pic of what you're talking about.

Leith

Irwin
11-10-2007, 10:40 AM
its a lifted cherokee with 33s. 5.5 inch lit..the mount breaks not the trac bar...it keeps breaking by the weld.

Lynx
11-10-2007, 10:50 AM
it attaches in 2 places you genious. It's breaking on the truck side...crossmember or frame I can't remember.

Just let a real welder do it next time (me dumbass).

Trailjunkie
11-11-2007, 10:59 PM
ive had mine welded at least 5 times and it keeps breaking.89 xj 4.5 black diamond. when i go full flex or hit a nasty rut hard.i lifted my suzi and never had that problem.

Irwin
11-11-2007, 11:45 PM
the weld on it is lastin long, but it might break again soon! and it just breaks driving down the street

Trailjunkie
11-12-2007, 12:52 PM
wow that sucks! its got to be a high stress point, but to break just going down the road is od. can you weld in a thicker plate or bracket, gusset it and such.im going a bit bigger and taller and im going thick and heavy on the bracket.

bakelite
11-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Did the kit come with a longer track bar or just suggest relocation? You can get longer, adjustable track bars, check with Jeep Thrills. [cheers]

Irwin
11-14-2007, 10:23 AM
yah i have the short arm kit..but im going to put a 9.5 inch long arm kit into it, and dana 44 front axle, and chromo axle shafts in the back...so im not to worried about it right now...illl just keep on welding it back together

jeepxj89
11-27-2007, 03:59 PM
why the fuck do you need 9.5 inches of lift?! holy shit

Irwin
11-27-2007, 08:14 PM
the bigger the better...

jeepxj89
11-27-2007, 08:18 PM
obviously someones got a lot to learn. ive got about 7-8" on my xj and i clear 36's no problem at all. the only way if go to 10 is if you plan on running 42's. but you would have to adress your d30 and 35 way before then because everytime u pushed the pedal one would go pop. try wheeling with a tall rig in an off camber situation. youll see why keeping it low is a good idea....

heres a shot of 7 ish inches of lift clearing 36s...

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e25/jeepxj89/beadlocks001Small.jpg

nbrowser
11-27-2007, 08:40 PM
I dunno how but I managed to jam 31s under my stock XJ on the weekend with minimal flare trimmin.....and still wheeled the hell out of it on sunday, Cherokee's obvisouly can take some larger tires with ease with minimal lift, just gotta know what to cut off or simply remove !

Irwin
11-29-2007, 08:08 PM
my buddy has a 89 jeep cherokke with a 9 inch lift at 36 inch super swamppers..and it looks sweet..yah i might accually get wut u said the 7 or 8 inch lift..and put 35 or 36 inch swamppers..thanks!

cdn_xj
11-30-2007, 02:29 PM
The process of welding uses an electric current to melt the base material (in this case steel) in order to join another piece to it. Funny things happen to the molecular structure of metal when heated and cooled in certain ways.

One of the most common problems when welding is the creation of a Heat Affected Area or Zone. A skilled welder should be able to minimize this effect however the size of the parts being welded has a part to play in it. In reality it has to do with a given material's specific heat capacity, but we won't worry about that.

Suffice it to say that it's a side effect of the process that can (and usually does) weaken the steel around the area of a weld.

Take that little tidbit and couple it with the fact that the track bar and, by extension, the track-bar mounts have to deal with a LOT of forces acting upon them particularly when they are on a vehicle that's used for wheeling. And it's pretty much a wonder that more track-bar mounts don't break.

Now, you said it just breaks driving down the street. I doubt that very much. A more realistic and plausible explanation is that the mount was already cracked almost 100% of the way through as a result of any wheeling that had been done prior and that last little bit that was hanging on finally gave out while you were on the street.

In any case, only so much of a regular, consistent component failure can be attributed to the component. Quite a bit of the time how a vehicle is wheeled plays an important role in how long it goes between breakages.