PDA

View Full Version : Ball joint removal Q

broken_down
11-03-2007, 04:37 PM
Ok I got the upper ball joint out, but the lower ball joint won't budge. ( and yes I'm using a balljoint press) are there any tricks to getting the lowers out...???

Nutbar
11-03-2007, 04:49 PM
Some axle housings use a snap ring on the lower ball joint

Are you pressing it in the correct direction (just hafta ask)?

if niether of these you can try heating the housing up with a torch just let it cool naturally when you are done.

broken_down
11-03-2007, 05:03 PM
didn't see any type of snap ring. and yes going in the right direction. also have already tried the torch, still not moving...

tenpack
11-03-2007, 07:04 PM
ive dont two axles, some where stubborn as hell.

The best way is to put tension on the balljoint, heat it up, and then smack the press with a decent sized hammer. The tension on the balljoint combied with teh heat, and teh shock from the hammer should pop it out.

How clean are the balljoints and surrounding area? If theres a load of roadgrime, they pentrating lube wont work.

broken_down
11-03-2007, 08:03 PM
yeah there is a lot of crap around the top. cleaned it up, and scored the face of the control arm around the ball joint lightly... take another crack at it tomorrow!

kootenaycat
11-04-2007, 09:28 PM
Need a 2lb hammer to do the job, I've done my share of ball joints working at a Ford Dealership and never had to heat any knuckles to get one out. Just gotta make sure the knuckle is sitting solidly on a jack stand, not hanging from the springs (if on a hoist). It'll take a couple of GOOD hard hits, but it'll come out.

Apathy
11-05-2007, 08:28 AM
pickle fork, and a BFH

lornix
11-06-2007, 04:48 PM
I gotta agree with the BFH, Heat, PB Blaster and a good amount of foul language. You did remember to swear right? :D

Apathy
11-06-2007, 06:01 PM
its soooo funny every body says BFH

i laugh.... continuosly

broken_down
11-06-2007, 06:03 PM
got dem bitches out.... finally. a little bit more elbow grease and a lot of grunting.... hmmm sounds familiar...lol

Apathy
11-06-2007, 06:15 PM
good on ya bro, i know your said you were still learning this stuff, so Kudos on keeping at it. Ball joints can be a biatch!, you gotta hit them with hammers beat on them and just get plain onery (sp).

broken_down
11-06-2007, 06:37 PM
thanx, everyday is a learning experience with the jeep. soon will be back on the trails so i can break something else....