PDA

View Full Version : Might be getting a '89 Cherokee LTD, Any prepurchase info ?"

nbrowser
10-31-2007, 05:44 PM
Gonna go take a lookie at this '89 XJ Limited tomorrow, anything specific I should look for in the driveline/mechanical I really want a 4X4 and this is priced within my means here.....thanks in advance guys

lil update, it's an 89.....the advertiser put it as an 88, the VIN says 89......

broken_down
10-31-2007, 06:17 PM
check the rearmain seal, valve cover seal and oil filter seal for leaks. they are notorious on jeeps, along with a ton of other shit....

If you need parts let me know!

Lynx
11-01-2007, 06:40 AM
biggest thing is look for unibody rust and maybe aircare....

nbrowser
11-01-2007, 08:09 AM
AirCare = no prob, I'm a mechanic.....can make anything pass literally....but yah I'll be flashlighting it all over.....and I know I"ll be jacking up the front end and checking the balljoints n stuff..just want my first 4x4 so bad like lol I can almost taste it.

crazylike
11-01-2007, 09:39 AM
don't get a cherokee i had a 89 nothing but troubles they have master / slave cylinders for the clutch if it standard, its a really shitty system get hard wheelin and boom no clutch. ball joints and shit up front is sub standard never holds up. OVER ALL THERE CRAP. i had to rebuild my jeep ever 90 000kms and i don't mean just little stuff i mean the whole drive train. oh and there the over heating issues witht he straight 6 and the retarded way they have the cooling system. trust me you don't want a cherokee unless you like spending all your money on fixing your toy.

StillRYE
11-01-2007, 12:37 PM
Be prepared to start blowing guys because if you drive a jeep that means your gay

Leithmc
11-01-2007, 02:00 PM
don't get a cherokee i had a 89 nothing but troubles they have master / slave cylinders for the clutch if it standard, its a really shitty system get hard wheelin and boom no clutch. ball joints and shit up front is sub standard never holds up. OVER ALL THERE CRAP. i had to rebuild my jeep ever 90 000kms and i don't mean just little stuff i mean the whole drive train. oh and there the over heating issues witht he straight 6 and the retarded way they have the cooling system. trust me you don't want a cherokee unless you like spending all your money on fixing your toy.

Don't listen to him. probably drives a civic. The only thing I've ever had to worry about were things I pounded the shit out of. I haven't been nice to mine and it stands up well. you do have to be careful with the rust issues though.

broken_down
11-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Everyone has there own opinion! My jeep has served me well so far. just stay on top of all the maintenance and you will be fine...

lornix
11-01-2007, 04:38 PM
My '89 is tough as iron ballz! I agree with some of the posts above about seals and gaskets ... they do tend to leak a bit. Also look above the cat to make sure the floor is not rotted through. The earlier XJs didn't have a heat shield and the floor can rust through.

XJs are no different from any other 4x4 ...some good, some bad. Drive it like a moron and you'll fix it lots, drive it with finesse and it will hold together fine. Parts are plentiful, cheap and they are super-simple to work on.

broken_down
11-01-2007, 08:06 PM
my jeep is just as easy to work on as any chevy I've owned in the past...

Nash
11-02-2007, 06:59 AM
I gotta agree with the last couple of posts. My '89 has served as a great family wagon. Gotta a couple of hard runs at Stave under its belt as well. I heard the Puegot tranny (if it's a stick) is crappy, and the AX-15 is the one to have, but its an expensive conversion. No problems with mine as of yet. The NP231 is a bullet proof t-case, in fact it's the same one my dad has in his '89 3/4 tonne 'Burban. The D-30 and 35's are considered somewhat weak axles, but just no hardcore stuff and they'll be fine. My short term plan is to grap a pair from a 4 banger, they apparently came stock with 4.10's as opposed to the 3.07's I've got in my 4L.

nbrowser
11-02-2007, 08:17 AM
Well,a little more info here is needed on what I'm looking at, and thanks for all your comments, it's a 89 XJ Limited, full load, auto, leather.....seat covers will be bought...decent shape....only major issue, the rear hatch won't open....probably be easy to fix that. this will be my first 4x4 and well......a lift kit in the next year.....4 inches ....if I can afford it.

crazylike
11-02-2007, 09:55 AM
Don't listen to him. probably drives a civic. The only thing I've ever had to worry about were things I pounded the shit out of. I haven't been nice to mine and it stands up well. you do have to be careful with the rust issues though.

Fuzzydog
11-02-2007, 12:47 PM
I believe that 89 would have had the same ABS system as my 90 limited - this is a big issue as failure of this system may leave you with very inadequate brakes. there was a class action lawsuit in the states that resulted in americans having a lifetime warranty on these, but even a lifetime warranty doesn't do you any good when it fails and you are doing 100kmh.
I took mine out - replaced the pedal/master assembly with a same year but no-ABS model.

I bought my 1990 limited with about 274,000kms on it - it now has over 305000 and running fine. Mind you, I have changed out a lot of stuff but that was just upgrades:D

They are great rigs - easy to work on and parts are dirt cheap.

OH yeah! one big negative is that you can't get manual locking hubs for them -- Ok, Ok, to be fair you can get some but they cost about a million $$ and then you still have a relatively weak axle.

kinda nasty
11-02-2007, 04:33 PM
JEEP: JUST EMPTY EVERY POCKET

mini
11-02-2007, 05:02 PM

this coming from the one with NO engine in her truck :D

nbrowser
11-02-2007, 07:20 PM
Thank you all for your input, it's helpful, as I write this I am gonna be seein it in about an hour......might be comin home with me.....not sure til I actually touch the sheetmetal !

nbrowser
11-02-2007, 11:35 PM
Welp, the '89 XJ is at my home now......I own it....needs work.....gonna be posting stuff in the wanted section......real soon like......minor BS things I need for it.......thanks again guys and gals for the input......finally got my first 4x4....and that system WORKS ! lol

mini
11-02-2007, 11:51 PM
where the pics at?

nbrowser
11-02-2007, 11:54 PM
Kinda hard to get pics of a black Jeep at night.....tomorrow I"ll take a few and post em up.....Just got minor annoyances to deal with first though......

epic3
11-03-2007, 02:32 AM
rockers rust in em
under the back seat above the muffler they rot real bad but ya cant see it untill ya lift the carpet.
and mine ran hot ALL THE TIME and regularilly overheated twice blowin up the puke can

Leithmc
11-03-2007, 03:10 PM
Cool civic

Kinslayer
11-07-2007, 12:05 PM
The rockers are pretty easy to deal with, cut them out and weld in 2x4 tubing and you have instant rock sliders... You can do budget lifts for super cheap/easy too.. Look hard enough and you can get the parts for an external clutch slave - hell, I have two (waiting for my gay internal one to blow up) Lots of heep guys on here who can give you helpful advice..

- one tip - look for a cooling system from an HO model, radiator with a cap = good.

England
11-07-2007, 02:11 PM
Be prepared to start blowing guys because if you drive a jeep that means your gay

:mad0215::mad0215::mad0215::mad0215::mad0215:

brothergrimms
11-07-2007, 02:33 PM
that means you tim start blowing :happy0045: :happy0045: :happy0045:

England
11-07-2007, 03:35 PM
why you need anouther boy friend

brothergrimms
11-07-2007, 04:50 PM
reece needs a new one tim start blowin him you to would like good togeither you too love jeeps[15] [15]

nbrowser
11-07-2007, 06:54 PM
Here's the XJ, right before she got dirty at Stave sunday on third beach...or was that mud beach....got it stuck once, managed to rock it out, got it stuck a second time, needed a tug from anothner XJ again wish I had gotten your names thanks again folks !

Justin_B
11-07-2007, 08:41 PM
I got an 89 cherokee, and i beat the shit out of it. its holding up good[36] knock on wood, except for the cooling, that just sucks ass. You got to upgrade it to the open system, not the sealed system that comes with it. just go to the cooling from a newer cherokee. and ive had some probs with my breaks, but thats cause its been my fault.

Chody
11-07-2007, 09:24 PM
sweet truck... just need a 6.5 inch long arm and d60's with a 454 and youl own the races

nbrowser
11-07-2007, 09:29 PM
hrm where have I heard that from before, 6 inch long arm.....oh yeah one of my co-workers who has a lifted YJ......I'm thinkin when I get the mechanicals all fixed up maybe 3-4 inches of lift....and some trimmin and well them boards have got to go.....run some swet rubber and wheel the wee outta it

Chody
11-07-2007, 09:45 PM
[36] [36] [36]

Fuzzydog
11-07-2007, 10:10 PM
Nice rig - looks just like mine when I got it (except mine is red)

and here's what you can do with it

nbrowser
11-07-2007, 10:49 PM
Just a question, has anyone ripped off the factory flares ? if so, is it ugly ?

Fuzzydog
11-07-2007, 10:51 PM
mine are gone in the 2nd pic above. those tires stick out a lot though - they are 33x12.5's and I just have to make the time to put on the Rubicon flares that I got[36]

if you have reasonably stock tires they shouldn't stick out though because they are actually tucked in quite a bit on a stock XJ

Trailjunkie
11-07-2007, 11:26 PM
ive had five xj between 86 -89 never sold one with less than 500 thow on em. they all overheated thow what did you do to fix ,witch year rad ect...

Fuzzydog
11-07-2007, 11:35 PM
My personal experience is that all the complaining about the closed cooling system causing overheating is BS. I bought into it and put in hood vents, new overflow tank and cap, swapped over to the taurus electric fan, water pump, thermostat, hoses, etc, etc, and just generally pissed around. Bottom line was my rad was partially clogged. Every little thing I did helped a bit but with a clogged rad it will finally catch up. I eventually put in a new alum/plastic rad (I ordered all metal but they f'd up) and what a difference that made.
Before, I couldn't keep the temp below 100C with the mechanical fan running all the time.
Now, I don't even need to put on my electric fan unless I am in serious stop/go traffic. When I am at a stop light the temp does creep up but as soon as I get going again, even just in town it comes back down to around 100 (which is the happy zone) - and this is with the 'crappy' closed cooling system. I attribute a lot of that to the better heat dissipation quality of the alum core vs the stock copper/brass unit.
When I am wheelin, the fan is always on or it will overheat, which is to be expected. lots of stop and go, hardworking, idling, but the taurus fan keeps the temps well below any danger point.
I am generally opposed to plastic end tanks crimped on rads [16] but it's what I ended up with (didn't want to wait til they got the right one in)

Jeep Victim
11-08-2007, 08:48 AM
This coming from the girl who can't keep a running motor in her truck.What did you get out of your last one 600 km's?????:confused0006: I realize that small block Chevy parts are SOOOO hard to find and a 350 Chev is not very reliable.If you can't keep a 350 running,I call driver error,they are about the most reliable motor in production history!

Kinslayer
11-08-2007, 04:23 PM
My personal experience is that all the complaining about the closed cooling system causing overheating is BS. I bought into it and put in hood vents, new overflow tank and cap, swapped over to the taurus electric fan, water pump, thermostat, hoses, etc, etc, and just generally pissed around. Bottom line was my rad was partially clogged. Every little thing I did helped a bit but with a clogged rad it will finally catch up. I eventually put in a new alum/plastic rad (I ordered all metal but they f'd up) and what a difference that made.
Before, I couldn't keep the temp below 100C with the mechanical fan running all the time.
Now, I don't even need to put on my electric fan unless I am in serious stop/go traffic. When I am at a stop light the temp does creep up but as soon as I get going again, even just in town it comes back down to around 100 (which is the happy zone) - and this is with the 'crappy' closed cooling system. I attribute a lot of that to the better heat dissipation quality of the alum core vs the stock copper/brass unit.
When I am wheelin, the fan is always on or it will overheat, which is to be expected. lots of stop and go, hardworking, idling, but the taurus fan keeps the temps well below any danger point.
I am generally opposed to plastic end tanks crimped on rads [16] but it's what I ended up with (didn't want to wait til they got the right one in)

I have a stock rad from an HO in my non-HO motor, rad cap, overflow type set up. Mine has an electric fan, but it turns on and off with the AC/Defrost system..mine NEVER overheats.

nbrowser
11-08-2007, 06:17 PM
Now alls I gotta do is figure out what axles are under my Heep and what t-case it's got and then I can start at least to price out lift kits.....btw, mine came with a new rad.......ugh but I know it ain't got a thermostat installed.....so it doesn't even get warm.......inside.....that'll be fixed.

Kinslayer
11-08-2007, 07:55 PM
Now alls I gotta do is figure out what axles are under my Heep and what t-case it's got and then I can start at least to price out lift kits.....btw, mine came with a new rad.......ugh but I know it ain't got a thermostat installed.....so it doesn't even get warm.......inside.....that'll be fixed.

It's gonna be dana 30 front, 35 rear, if it's auto it'll have 3.55 gears, standard it'll have 3.73. T-case will be an NP231, tranny is likely an ax15.

The lift kits are the same regardless of axles though - there are some cheap things you can do for a small budget lift though:

ZJ front coils for a quick 1-1.5 inch lift..add a spacer while you're at it.

for the rear you can grab blocks, easy..also you can take the main leaf from an s10 rear end, chop off the eyelets and stick it in 2nd position on your leaf packs (s10s are sprung under so the leaves have way more arc)..that should balance 'er out for ya. should be able to run 31s comfortably with that for sure

Fuzzydog
11-08-2007, 10:57 PM
I'm pretty sure your 89 ltd will be identical to my 90 ltd.
there fore d30/d35 axles with 3.55 gears as per kinslayer, but tcase is np242 with the full time position. the Rubicon Express SYE for the 231 fits on it.
tranny is the AW4 automatic - very good reputation and reliability.
the ABS gives you the larger ujoints on the front axle
The ABS pump also gives you your brake assist - terrible system and likely will eventually fail. I would strongly advise removing it and putting in a vacuum booster and pedal assembly from a non-abs model.

another route to go for lift is coils out of a 78/79 ford bronco and rear leaf packs from a dakota (same concept as the s10 leaves) should give you about 3-3.5 inches lift. for the leaves in the back you remove all of your stock leaves except the main. then cut off the eyes on the dakota main spring and put all of the dakota leaves under your cherokee main spring. My dakota pack had a super thick overload that I took out as well.
for shocks - I think it is a 90's YJ shock that fits the rear and a 90's F150 shock that fits the front. I put the lift in the flexed out the suspension and measured extended and compressed lengths. Then I looked up those numbers and mounting types in a shock catalog (monroe or whatever) and you can find exactly the shock you need.

check your air filter regularly for oil. there is a crankcase vent issue with these models which causes oil to get up into the air filter and it can get choked and really hurt your engine performance.

good luck and enjoy modifying your new rig.[cheers]

Kinslayer
11-08-2007, 11:05 PM
I'm pretty sure your 89 ltd will be identical to my 90 ltd.
there fore d30/d35 axles with 3.55 gears as per kinslayer, but tcase is np242 with the full time position. the Rubicon Express SYE for the 231 fits on it.
tranny is the AW4 automatic - very good reputation and reliability.
the ABS gives you the larger ujoints on the front axle
The ABS pump also gives you your brake assist - terrible system and likely will eventually fail. I would strongly advise removing it and putting in a vacuum booster and pedal assembly from a non-abs model.

another route to go for lift is coils out of a 78/79 ford bronco..

check your air filter regularly for oil. there is a crankcase vent issue with these models which causes oil to get up into the air filter and it can get choked and really hurt your engine performance.

good luck and enjoy modifying your new rig.[cheers]

For sure the oil in the air filter - the lower re-circ gets plugged up and then the oil starts coming out the crank-case breather onto the filter.

I have a pair of F150 coils in my shop if you want em, 50 bones..ride is harsher 'cause they are for a bigger truck.

Is the LTD the model that is full-time? I stand corrected then..

nbrowser
11-08-2007, 11:53 PM
God damn guys, ask and ye shall get info.....I appreciate it muchly....already hucked the first mod into it, yank the near useless tape deck and popped in a cheap CD player....Kinslayer, thanks for the cheap lift advice....I don't wanna go nuts like Fuzzydog with the long arm, money isn't there but gaining a little height for a 31 is a nice idea....and a correction, it's got a selectable t-case, 2Hi, 4 Part time, 4 Lock (all time) Neutral, and finally everyone's favorite, 4 Low....it is an auto and I have yet to find the ABS controller.....hoping I don't even have it.....Will look for a hose going to the booster behind the master cylinder, I am a mechanic so little things aren't scary for me, just love the good advice that comes from here, and oh yes, she was up at Stave sunday, bone stock and did I get her stuck ! lol was fun !

Fuzzydog
11-09-2007, 08:15 AM
Does it have ABS? The pump would be underneath the coolant overflow bottle up by the passenger firewall and there would be no vacuum booster assembly on the brake master cylinder, just a big metal block with all sorts of brake lines going in and out of it.

nbrowser
11-09-2007, 06:07 PM
YAY NO ABS !!!!!!!!! normal good old vacuum booster on the firewall, hose going to it from the intake......awesome stuff....now here's my problem right now with it, the front end sits low.....lower than the rear and every XJ I see on the road sits level, now not knowing much about lifted things.....would even levelling it be a good idea ?

Fuzzydog
11-09-2007, 06:55 PM
YAY NO ABS !!!!!!!!! normal good old vacuum booster on the firewall, hose going to it from the intake......awesome stuff....now here's my problem right now with it, the front end sits low.....lower than the rear and every XJ I see on the road sits level, now not knowing much about lifted things.....would even levelling it be a good idea ?

for what it's worth - this is odd as I believe ABS was not an option on the ltds - it came as part of the package. I would suspect that someone has already removed yours which is a good thing as it saves you the trouble of doing it.
all cherokees are very prone to spring sag. You can check if it is at the right height by measuring from the wheel hub centre to the bottom of the stock flare. it should be right around 17". leveling it wouldn't be a bad idea, but why go to the trouble if you are going to lift it anyway? - just get your budget boost together (spacers and add a leaf, or bronco/f150 coils and dakota/s10 leaf pack) and git er done.

nbrowser
11-09-2007, 08:12 PM
For what it's worth, the horror stories I've heard about the ABS systems used in these vehicles......I'm prety sure I'm not gonna miss not having it....as far as levelling the front end before lifting it, the lift won't be happening anytime soon however I"d just like to get the front end back up if I can which would make light wheeling easier. again man, thanks for your brain. I really really appreciate it being a well, Jeep Noob lol

Kinslayer
11-09-2007, 09:48 PM
If you just want to level it, my buddy will be pulling his stock coils out fairly soon, i'm giving him my 3 inch fronts.

nbrowser
11-10-2007, 07:32 AM
Kinslayer, I shall be interested in them stock coils, mine are definitely sagged down, you can tell as there is a really small tire clearance with the leading edges of the flares in front of the front tires and it's only got 235/75/15s on it, just shoot me a pm when they are available for pickup, and the cost !

hot-flashes
11-13-2007, 03:15 AM
I'm wrecking an 89 xj if ya need something let me know

Kinslayer
11-13-2007, 10:30 AM
Yeah, i'll letcha know when we get em out. Waiting on some stuff, doing the old parts cascade

92jeepcherokee
11-26-2007, 04:03 PM
i have had my cherokee for 3 years now never let me down yet just make sure there is no rust by the door hinges and make sure the t-case shifts into 4 low

nightcrawler
02-06-2008, 11:12 AM
ya ive got a n86 xj with a 4 banger <231 with d30high pinon and d44 inthe rear with 410s and i got to say i preety impressed with where it will go i would say stay away from the low pinoin axle and get a closed cooling system
JEEPS KICK ASSSgo fuck yourself

nbrowser
02-09-2008, 09:15 PM
Ah just to probably end this thread that I started....it's probably gonna be driven somewhere open and clear, a tow truck nearby and burned then towed to a scrap yard and minced......fuckin thing will not run right whatsoever......fuckin POS

nightcrawler
02-21-2008, 11:02 AM
ya you should probably just give up :mad0215: [2e]