PDA

View Full Version : crazy 38.5 swampers...

godtool
10-27-2007, 06:59 AM
I have been running 38.5 x 12" super swampers on my Jimmy. Sometimes they really lurch to the side especially on a road that is covered in gravel and ridges of frozen dirt here and there. My front swampers are pretty well bald too but I did have the wear bars cut out. Last night I tightened up the slack in my sector shaft. I lost a bit of power steering fluid while testing in the garage for the proper play. And then after I went for a test run the lurching seemed worse. Maybe I have low flat tire on the front. I'll check today. However my question is if you're steering box is good, and there is no play in your ball joints or tie rod ends etc., is it normal for these big super swampers to lurch side to side on a rough road especially going over 50 Km?

Growly Gorilla
10-27-2007, 07:06 AM
make sure the rear tires are worn the same and have the same tire pressures.the detroit will cause the same thing if not.

godtool
10-27-2007, 07:16 AM
I still have to check the tire pressures in all four tires, but my rear tires have 60-80% tread in the rear, and the front tires are worn past the wear bars which have been grooved out this past summer. I know not to give my Jimmy any gas on corners with that locker. I've learned that lesson already. So even if the tire pressure is exact in all four, I may still have this lurching problem even in 2 Wheel Drive??

I so wish I had a trailer to take my Jimmy to the trail head. That way I would not have to worry about this lurching.

I have a set of four tires and rims that I could put on my Jimmy which are just a little larger than regular size. Keith actually gave them to me when he put new tires on his truck.

godtool
10-29-2007, 10:21 AM
Discovered tie-rod bolt end was loose in steering arm... hopefully not wrecked but managed to tighten up nut. Lurching lot less now.;) Still there is play elsewhere. I'll check it out more this week... probably need to replace my 4" raised steering arm. Thats what happens when you are me.:D

Kinslayer
10-29-2007, 11:03 AM
Is your steering stabilizer pooched?

MUD CHILD
10-29-2007, 11:07 AM
check and see if the steering box is loose at the frame, and make sure the frame is not cracking where the steering box bolts on, quite common with chevys running large tires

godtool
10-29-2007, 06:16 PM
Rancho Stabilizer brand new & frame I'm certain not cracked, but had no time to check today.

ShuswapRedneck
11-07-2007, 01:26 PM
mine lurch from side to side too sometimes, under decel if I slow down too slow, or accelerate too fast, sometimes if I'm braking and hit a pot hole it will cause it to start bouncing as well. It scared me the first time it did it, but now I know when it's going to happen and am able to compensate for it, I can either make it not happen at all, or at least make it minimal.

Apathy
11-07-2007, 01:34 PM
Is your steering stabilizer pooched?

steering stabilizers are a joke. If you shit is right, you don't need them.

epic3
11-07-2007, 02:53 PM
my 36's went side to side alot like you are decribing when they were at 20% or less tread and when I replaced em wiht new ones the truck tarcked excelent

Always broke
11-07-2007, 04:32 PM
my 36's went side to side alot like you are decribing when they were at 20% or less tread and when I replaced em wiht new ones the truck tarcked excelent OK OK OK Mark this on the Calender Phil made senceshut up phil

Ironman
11-07-2007, 04:37 PM
my 36's went side to side alot like you are decribing when they were at 20% or less tread and when I replaced em wiht new ones the truck tarcked excelent

i call b.s. i have never seen your truck drive far enuff on its own power to track right or not

epic3
11-07-2007, 05:10 PM
i call b.s. i have never seen your truck drive far enuff on its own power to track right or not

thats cuz you've never been able to follow me far enough:cool:

Ironman
11-07-2007, 05:13 PM
thats cuz you've never been able to follow me far enough:cool:
why in god's green earth would i even want to follow you or be in the same area as you? Not like it maters when you just jump on the bus anyways

epic3
11-07-2007, 05:44 PM
why in god's green earth would i even want to follow you or be in the same area as you? Not like it maters when you just jump on the bus anyways

Oh jeeze talk to the left cuz you sure aint right:rolleyes: