PDA

View Full Version : Tire pressure and tire wear question

godtool
10-27-2007, 07:53 AM
I just put my winter tires on my truck. I am running 60 pounds in each of my winter tires on my 2003 Chevy Silverado. It is the 3/4 ton 4x4 with a 6.6 Duramax. I noticed two of my tires are quite worn in the center, but still there is lots of tread everywhere else. My other two tires are pretty well evenly wore. I figured the two that are worn in the center came off the rear last spring. The two tires that came off the front are evenly worn but the edges are worn from cornering. So I put these two on the back and the two that are worn in the center I put on the front. I've always been told to put to put your best two tires on the front but I figured this time I would lower my pressure down to 50 in all four tires so as the edges off the front tires on the road. However I'm a little worried about hydroplaning the front end at high speed. Anybody have any opinion on what might be better to do? I know the tire pressure can be as high as 80 but I figured that was ridiculous so I was running at 60. My truck is very light in the back. Is it crazy to run the rear tires at a lower pressure than the front since the front end is so heavy?

In The Zone
10-27-2007, 07:58 AM
60psi over inflated dude

60psi max under full load..
I see this alot with peeps you fucked your tires...

edge wear is from poor alignment and wrong psi
you want full contact with the foot print of the tire....

Growly Gorilla
10-27-2007, 08:12 AM
dad has the same truck 55psi all around,tire wear is perfect. Runs the same tires all year,rotates them regularly.

Growly Gorilla
10-27-2007, 08:13 AM
Is it crazy to run the rear tires at a lower pressure than the front since the front end is so heavy?

no

godtool
10-27-2007, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the positive input growly! Could I run the rear at 40 in the front at 50? I think running it at 55 for starters would be a good starting point.

As for "in the zone", can you tell me something positive, like what pressure you run?

godtool
10-27-2007, 08:22 AM
When I bought my tires from Kal tire in Chilliwack they told me to run them at 80. Then I was told by FVT to run them at 60 max. I did not realize they meant 60 when fully loaded.

pumpkin
10-27-2007, 09:11 AM
Radial tires should be run at maximum psi for most situations. Reason is that as a radial tire flexes it wears the outside edges of the tire. When the presures get up there as in E rated tires then you have to find a happy medium. Sonds like your tire wear problem is in part due to lack of rotating. You could also have worn front end parts, such as tie rods or pitman, or idler arm. As far as were the best tires go it has been a missconception that they should be on the front,,,,,,,,,,, this is incorrect. The best tires should be on the BACK. In recent years the stories on the news of tire related deaths have been due to rear tire failures. If you have a problem with a front tire, you have a steering wheel to comensate. When you have a rear tire problem, you cannot react quick enough to compensate. Kinda like, drive forwards at 30 km and move the steering wheel back and forth. Do the same in reverse and you will only get one direction of the steering wheel movement before the vehicle wants to spin out (rockfords). Other than for wheeling I have always run my tires at and sometimes over the max psi given on the tire, and have had great tire wear.

In The Zone
10-27-2007, 11:10 AM
positive eh.... it is going to be sunny.....

as for psi well what ever works for me is good....
My BII typically 20psi r and 25psi f for road and 10 all round for trails....

godtool
10-28-2007, 07:27 AM
Lack of rotating is the problem. Thanks for the advice everyone....

As for sunny, its raining right now... but the gright side of it the mud will be even more fun today!! Plus no dust....