PDA

View Full Version : Not starting

get stuck
10-20-2007, 06:17 PM
i just put a differnt motor in my truck and im trying to get it started now but when i turn the key to start it the lights just go out like its drawing the power to start it but the startes not getting power . i just bought a new starter and starter relay for it and its still doing the same thing .

anyone have any ideas of what it could be?

Toyquad
10-20-2007, 06:45 PM
what kinda truck? motor year etc etc etc. I had the same problem once on my toyota, swapped in a new motor and used the engine harness that was on the new engine. The plug going to the alt. was different. It plugged in fine, but the wires werent in the same spot, causeing it to short out everytime the key was turned on. took me a week to figure that out.

get stuck
10-20-2007, 07:31 PM
sorry its a 1982 dodge that had a 225 slant 6 and i put in a 360.
i im going to take a look at my alwires to see if that might be it because there easy to mix up

4Lo
10-20-2007, 08:47 PM
From the motor swap threads I have read in thew past it most likeky sounds like an altenator/ wiring problem. Are you using an altenater with enough output for the 360 or did you reuse the 6cyl one??

jonny6door
10-20-2007, 09:05 PM
make sure to check all grounds. a bad or corroded ground will do that. make sure you have good metal to metal contact between the battery and frame and engine and frame.
________
Acura Legend Specifications (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Acura_Legend)

shockless
10-20-2007, 09:05 PM
short in the starter? does the + wire heat right up?

4Lo
10-20-2007, 09:27 PM
And make sure all the alt wires are hookered up. Chances are you disco'd all the old wireing and pushed it aside and when you reconnected the new harness yuo forgots a wire.[cheers]

4Lo
10-20-2007, 09:28 PM
Or maybe you gots some wires crossed??

get stuck
10-21-2007, 01:51 AM
i know i put the wire on but they maybe crossed i will check im the morning

coyeb
10-21-2007, 12:59 PM
id put my money on a corroded wire or ground strap

get stuck
10-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Well i took a look today all the grounds are good and there alt. wires any the proublem so im stumped.

Tha_Stepside
10-21-2007, 01:48 PM
mmm electrical gremlins fucking blow, thats why im not an electrician. check your solenoid (i know its new, but i have seen brand new parts fail countless times), you got direct battery power going to the solenoid? when cranking the engine over, check if you have the full 12.6V on the starter side of the solenoid, then check your starter ground (voltmeter on positive and ground of starter) and see if your getting full voltage through the starter. What kind of starter did you use?

Toyquad
10-21-2007, 02:15 PM
From the motor swap threads I have read in thew past it most likeky sounds like an altenator/ wiring problem. Are you using an altenater with enough output for the 360 or did you reuse the 6cyl one??

now thats funny

epic3
10-21-2007, 02:43 PM
Are you in park or neutral?
If memory serves me correct there is a yellow wire in your ignition harness coming from your column that is your starter wire it will be a larger gauge 14 gauge to be precise it will show 12v when cranking. Check that first if ya got it there then get someone to help you and climb under the truck and check the same wire there for 12 volts when ignition is in crank position.
If under the truck the wire changed color then just check the little 14 gauge one the same way.
At the starter there should be three wires one is 4 gauge it goes to the battery and straped to the same terminal will be a 10 or 8 gauge wire that goes to the alt (this is your alt output wire) and then on its own smaller terminal will be the crank wire that you will be testing for power when cranking.
If you dont have power here make sure your nuetral safety switch (providing its auto) is pluged in and working.

get stuck
10-21-2007, 10:25 PM
yes i have the right altinator for the 360 . and i havent tryed it in nutral yet i will tomorrow after school. thanks for all the help guys

4Lo
10-21-2007, 10:29 PM
now thats funny

A guy swapped out a v6 for a 5.9L on dakota and reused the v6 alt. He was stumped as to why it would idle fine but die as soon as he hit the gas. Turns out he reused the v6 alt. Not enough output for the bigger motor.

epic3
10-21-2007, 10:51 PM
coincedence