PDA

View Full Version : Lockers decent in snowy conditions

Tha_Stepside
10-20-2007, 05:35 PM
I want to put lockers in my diff's but it is gonna be a daily driver and it is gonna be run in the winter months. Im thinkin a posi up front and a locker in the rear, would i have better control than an open diff in the slick shit?

biggestal
10-20-2007, 05:40 PM
better traction? yes. better control? no.

OldEnuff
10-20-2007, 05:46 PM
I have had a detroit in the back of my '85 Bronco for years now and would not have it any other way :D

epic3
10-21-2007, 01:38 PM
just dont get on the gas when in corners and you'll be ok

Big_Ern
10-21-2007, 02:01 PM
welded or spool avoids the locker snapping in & out around corners

Toyquad
10-21-2007, 02:12 PM
lock the rear. keep in mind that when going around corners the truck might wanna still go straight or fish tail if your not carefull. leave the front open . Driving on the street with a locked front end in the snow blows.

leaving the front open or posi will allow you to drive around on the street in the snow in 4hi. With the truck in 4hi, it stops 10x better then with it just in 2wd...... at least on my 84 and 87 toy with half assed working drum brakes in the rear.......

Tha_Stepside
10-21-2007, 03:49 PM
yeah i think thats what my route is gonna be, locked rear, posi front. Im sure those two will make a huge difference in the offroad capabilities.

Cookie
10-21-2007, 06:26 PM
never been locked other than in the rig ,but experience has proved to me that locked makes its real shitty for turning.

m j
10-22-2007, 01:20 AM
welded or spooled sucks for steering
posi in front is worse then detroit for winter driving, had a powerlock front and wouldnt do it again
detroits the only way to fly

the posi affects steering when hubs are locked regardless of if the transfer case is engaged, the detroit doesnt affect steeering unlees the TC is engaged, actually steers better then a posi when engaged as well.

Kinslayer
10-22-2007, 08:48 AM
Thing about a locker in the rear is that it needs resistance to unlock (when talking automatic locker I mean..) so it stays locked up when things are slippery...so you do a lot of fishtails in the snow, hehe. Makes for good doughnuts though.

Cookie
10-22-2007, 08:56 AM
yes donuts are always good.

Kinslayer
10-22-2007, 09:32 AM
Mmm..white powder doughnuts...

Cookie
10-22-2007, 10:09 AM
gurgglgggglgggleggahh mmmmm white powder............................................ .................................................. .................................................. ...............uh ya donuts ya thats it donuts mmmmmmmm

m j
10-22-2007, 07:20 PM
Thing about a locker in the rear is that it needs resistance to unlock (when talking automatic locker I mean..) so it stays locked up when things are slippery...so you do a lot of fishtails in the snow, hehe. Makes for good doughnuts though.

my truck came from the factory with something to control that, it is found under my right foot.
you get to chose between stuck with open or sideways with locker

Kinslayer
10-23-2007, 08:44 AM
my truck came from the factory with something to control that, it is found under my right foot.
you get to chose between stuck with open or sideways with locker

I'd run a locker any day, i'm not saying anything against em.. But sometimes if you arn't careful you get to choose between open on the highway and locked in the ditch, heh.

B
10-23-2007, 08:47 AM
detroit and be done ...