PDA

View Full Version : Power steering box problem

godtool
10-15-2007, 06:30 AM
My sector shaft is moving up and down when I turn the steering wheel. Is that a bad thing? What is going on or worn in the box? Is that why my steering is so sloppy? How can I fix it?

brothergrimms
10-15-2007, 12:59 PM
get a new box

Kinslayer
10-15-2007, 01:36 PM
Then when you are putting it on, reinforce the frame

godtool
10-17-2007, 06:59 AM
Frame is good still but reinforcing it a very good idea. Good winter project with the amount of deeep snow up here. I've researched how to adjust the box so I'll try that first. Also maybe rip it apart if that does not work. I found a good site on the Internet at how to rebuild it and check it for being too worn for a rebuild kit. Rebuild kit would be cheaper than buying a new one. I located another box for $50. I have already replaced my steering box with the used ones several times over the past three years. Maybe it's time to buy a new one or rebuild the one I have. I actually have a second box kickin' around that I could check to see if it's rebuildable.

Troy
10-17-2007, 11:38 PM
the only adjustment you can really do on that box is the depth of the sector shaft so the gears mesh together in the center. The sector shaft bearing races are a bitch to get out. The shops i have talked to say they burn them out with a cutting torch as they are made out of thin stamped steel. Much easier to buy a remanufactured gear it's not that much more than buying the rebuild parts yourself.

godtool
10-19-2007, 05:58 AM
Thanks for the tip Troy!