PDA

View Full Version : Yj roof racks

89yj
10-10-2007, 11:39 PM
Has anyone found a reasonable price to buy or have a roof rack built? I have got prices from a few welders here in Powell River but they are upwards of a grand. I'm not looking to haul a house on it I just want something to throw some chairs and stuff for day trips up the mountain with the family or maybe a light canoe. If I can't find something I'm going to have to move to a bigger truck and we don't want that. The yj's our toy. You guys know how it is husband+wife+2kid+jeep=CRAMPED! thanks guys

FrogDog
10-11-2007, 02:04 AM
cheers

dirt
10-11-2007, 08:07 AM
hey there just a couple pics of my rack for my xj. its aluminum and powder coated. I want 200 bucks. wont 2work for your yj but depending what you want I could hook you up cheap. the only problem is I live on vancouver island

89yj
10-11-2007, 11:16 PM
Frogdog, it was that they wanted 1000-1200 for just the top basket not even the supports. Man I've seen your stuff, you do killer work. I didn't mean to offend you it's just annoying when you ask for one thing and get another.

89yj
10-11-2007, 11:25 PM
dirt, that's a nice rack. Did you build it? Where on the island are you? That is what I'm looking for but with the bars down to the windshield hinge and the rear bumper for mounting. How heavy is it? thanks for the info[36]

b00g
10-12-2007, 04:48 PM
do you know milton with the white jeep, drives the bus? he has something similar to what you want i think.
i was talkin with someone yesterday and his rack came up, apperently he had it built by a local and it was pretty reasonable.
the guy that built it drives a pretty nice toyota and lives south of town.
sorry that's all i remember, but i'll ask around and find out a name.

dirt
10-12-2007, 04:57 PM
dirt, that's a nice rack. Did you build it? Where on the island are you? That is what I'm looking for but with the bars down to the windshield hinge and the rear bumper for mounting. How heavy is it? thanks for the info[36]Thanks, the rack is 1"aluminum tube and is about 1/16"thick. Makes for a light strong rack . I've made a few now and never had a dent or any welds crack or anything like that. Also can powder coat at the shop. Regardless, I can use thicker material if needed but the 1" is cheapest. Oh ya I live in Crofton but our shop is in Nanaimo. If you want pm me if you have interest in a rack done up, and maybe we can hook something up [cheers]

redman
10-12-2007, 05:05 PM
i miss living in PR, i used to live behind cranberry lake. I feel like moving back, just dont know what the hell i would do for work

89yj
10-12-2007, 06:46 PM
Thank for the info Boog, I have seen Miltons rack. I think his just bolts through the hard top. I don't really want to drill holes in my top. I haven't seen his jeep around for a while is he still in town.

Redman, Powell River is great as long as you like the outdoors because there isn't much else to do. But the backcountry is where it's at anyway. I love it here.[36]

dirt, thanks man I might be down your way in a couple weeks I'll pm you if I do and let you know what I am looking for.

b00g
10-13-2007, 09:04 AM
i was under the impression that his rack was part of his exo which can be unbolted to pull the hard top off if he wants. it's been forever since i looked at it up close so i may be wrong.
i might be goin wheelin with his step son? brad on sunday, so i'll ask some questions about it then.

89yj
10-13-2007, 12:06 PM
I haven't seen his truck in a while. I didn't know he had an exo. Maybe I'll have to look him up, I'd like to pick his brain about his jeep. I'm just getting going on my jeep and would like to look at some built yj's. What do you drive and where are you guys going. It's nice to hear from someone in town.

b00g
10-13-2007, 10:29 PM
i'm drivin an '88yj with 4" lift 33's and an 2006 ford 8.8.

today we headed up to freda creek, then to freda lake. then we took k200 across to windsor lake and back down goat main.

unfortunatly my NEW slave cylinder took a crap in the driveway this mornin' so we ended up doin mostly a logging road run with 2 jeeps, an explorer, and a tracker.

tommorow there will be 2 cherokees headin oput from lang bay store at 10am. we're not sure where we're headin yet. one cherokee you've probably noticed at napa(brown with a wide stance, locked and lifted) and another that's freshly lifted with 33's and open diffs.

i talked with brad tonight real quick(sorry didn't get any info on miltons rack) but him and milton are headin up the end of wilde rd tommorow mornin. not sure what time for them though.

we usually try to get out every sunday. been a couple of months off though fixin carnage from my last run in the summer.

if you're curious, we post up some of our pics and stuff at www.weekendwheeling.com . nothin special, just a few of us out havin fun.

what are you drivin? the jeeps around here have definetly multiplied here the last year or so

*edit* sorry admin if links aren't alowed, just some guys from his area

89yj
10-13-2007, 11:52 PM
I got a stock yj white with a black hardtop and a fear this sticker in the windshield(don't ask) My wife usually has it. I've got a 3"body lift and aftermarket shackles to go into it but so far haven't had time or a hand with a welder to put them in. I went to the website that you mentioned it had some wicked pictures on it. I didn't know that there were so many trails around here. I guess I've been stuck in a stock truck for to long. I might have to see if I can ride shotgun with one of you guys one of these weekends.

b00g
10-14-2007, 09:11 AM
cool, i know which jeep you're talkin about.
we'll definetly have to get you out with out with us soon. so much amazinf scenery around here, and some cool trails.

i'm kinda out of comision for wrenching right now .(thhumb+tablesaw)
or i'd suggest gettin a couple people together and tackling your lilft on a weekend. you'll be surprised where your jeep would make it with just some decent tread and low air pressure.