PDA

View Full Version : Pies, history, and snow covered mud.....part 1

sbags
10-09-2007, 10:06 PM
So after we went Otter Falls, we came home to a couple of home made pies made by our new landlords(we are renting cuz it's now too cold to camp.....and everything is closed!). Cruized town looking for some trucks.....gunna get some wheeling in yet.....

I likes my pumpkin with way too much, and this is homemade!

The wife can't stand pumpkin, so she got an apple/raison pie! Nice folks!

So the Monday plan was for Shelley to work on her thesis....me to go drink some beer around a fire with some new folks I met...and it was snowing!! This is out our kitchen window, note another car collection starting(400+ in storage in Maple Ridge!!).

And out there is the Yukon River, which we can't see......

The truck was frozen solid...crank the heat and the tunes, lets get this party going!

Ya thats good enough....I can see....[16] Clear yur windows kids!!

heading to town for gas and other stuff, this is the main road(-2C or so).

At the phone downtown(Thanks to Rogers "Canada", whom I pay for no service every month!) I found these cool historic pics......this is the line at on the Chilkoot Trail, with guys packing their 1 ton of goods over it. Thirsty yet?

So if we take the front tires and put them on the back......I like how they kept the single rear axle and just added bogeys.

The horse drawn version above. At least you could eat the horses if they broke down.....just kiddin'!!

Here are some early pics of a train running the White Pass(see Skagway pics), and gives you an idea of how treacherous it was, also shows why it needed to be a narrow gauge.

"This is called a funnel?" I liked this cuz of the studded tires on the front and the big chewies on the rear. Wonder what he's got in the diff....ARB? a Detroit? Perhaps an Ox locker? Think I would have built a roof for it though!

If I had read the info, I could confirm if this is the SS Klondike(#1). everything but the hull was taken from it to build the new one. The hull sits on a sandbar upriver of Whitehorse in around 3 meters of water, requiring a boat to get to it.

Perhaps they were pushing the old girl a little too hard? This was fairly normal from what I have read. This is on Lake LaBarge and this paddle wheeler is heading 500 or so miles with supplies for Dawson City. It brought gold back by the ton which then went to Skagway via the railway.

This wheeler is pushing full snuff to get through Miles Canyon. The captain is hugging the side cuz somewhere in the foam, there is a big ass rock which was notorious for taking boats.....

It's in the millions of pounds.......

This is when the city moved the SS Klondike(#2) to it's present location. Note the 4 cats pullin'....git er dun!!

And of course.....it's home now. This is the beast that ya see on the 6PM news on Global(weather forcasts for Whitehorse).

Found some tracks and went huntin for fellow wheelers!

Chillie willie.The tires were full of clay and snow....

I thought for sure someone would be up here....do these guys not know what church is? Better fix that if I'm going to be here for a while! This is the bog in the Ibex Valley.

And it is all clay...like dog poo slimey, it gave me a lift of around 2-3 inches...now for some bigger boots.....:D

Found some old hydro poles a while back and retrieved them from the snow, this being pole number 3......

Smokebluebeggo......

A rabbit came by....

did some digging till I told it if it came any closer it would be dinner!

jakerngr
10-10-2007, 08:50 AM
wow nice pics...its getting cold up there

Jeepnut
10-10-2007, 08:59 AM
Wow...you sure are having a trip of a life time[36]

Murd0c
10-10-2007, 09:38 AM
Wow aweosme pics again and seems like u have some good landlords [36][36][36]

Momma Taz
10-10-2007, 12:20 PM
really cool old pics, love the history on the old pics, thanks

Honky
10-10-2007, 12:45 PM
keep them coming!!!!!! i look forward to your posts [36]

sbags
10-10-2007, 03:13 PM
Thanks guys!! This trip may last a couple of years due to the fact the wife has tons of work up here....better start saving for a road trip!

lizard
10-10-2007, 03:29 PM
get geared up for some ice fishin & snowmabilin

kootenaycat
10-10-2007, 10:05 PM
Awesome hearing about the history of that area. The railroad part is pretty interesting, those guys worked their ass' off back then.