PDA

View Full Version : Headlight problems

Chopstick
10-08-2007, 09:04 PM
my headlights dont want to turn back on... i've put in a new headlight switch, checked all my relays, fuses, wires, cant seem to find the problem anyone have any suggestions? its a 91 XJ
i hope its not in the steering collum (i dont know how to rip that apart)

thanks

Nutbar
10-09-2007, 01:47 AM
Most likely the DRL (daytime running light module) they a notoriously bad for frying, it is about a 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 black square box on the passenger fender well close to the firewall with about a 12 wire plug on it, unplug it and see if the lights work. The lights will work fine without the DRL plugged in just the high beam indicator light on the dash won't work.

If it is not the DRL it will probably be the high beam switch, you don't have to pull the colum apart for that the switch itself is mounted lower on the colum on the drivers side mounted to the colum just behind the lower dash cover.

Chopstick
10-09-2007, 04:30 PM
thanks for your help.. i already got rid of the daytime module cause it melted when i put H4 lights in... but i'll check the high beam switch

thanks

dirt
10-09-2007, 07:26 PM
You have a combination switch on the steering colum that could be hooped!
Also I put in h4 bulbs in my XJ and went threw a few head light switches as well as the combination switch. went back to the basic and never had a problem since

Chopstick
10-13-2007, 12:06 AM
well it wasn't the headlight switch, i got it to work again but i dont really know how. but i do know that i have a really bad short somewhere cause now that my headlights are working again my gauges aren't. they seem like there grounding out or the other way around....

dirt
10-13-2007, 11:46 AM
well it wasn't the headlight switch, i got it to work again but i dont really know how. but i do know that i have a really bad short somewhere cause now that my headlights are working again my gauges aren't. they seem like there grounding out or the other way around....Im not sure you tried or not but have you tried the relay for your lights?

Nutbar
10-13-2007, 02:48 PM
Im not sure you tried or not but have you tried the relay for your lights?

There is no combination switch or relays for the lights on a 91 XJ. There is the headlight switch, the high beam switch mounted near the bottom of the colum that is activated by the turn signal arm and the DRL module but no combination switch or relays.

Chopstick
10-16-2007, 11:22 PM
its a nightmare.. heres something for yeah... even thou the lights work, everyone couple of hours of driving the headlights will start to flash on an off. i just turn them off then turn them on and its all good for a couple of minutes... maybe i should just burn it and go buy a newer jeep

poostang
10-17-2007, 08:08 AM
try refilling the halogen fluid lol

Lynx
10-17-2007, 08:11 AM
or maybe try installing another transmission.

Chopstick
10-18-2007, 09:35 PM
hahaha :confused0006: go fuck yourself

i fixed my problem now everythings working good

poostang
10-18-2007, 09:40 PM
what was it a fuse?

Chopstick
10-19-2007, 08:20 PM
a broken wire