PDA

View Full Version : How do a run power to my Warn??

4Lo
10-05-2007, 06:44 PM
Below is a pic of the power box for my winch. I have labelled the posts on the solonoids as to where they run and how they hook up to the motor. I still have 4 posts and don't know wich one to hook up the power too and which one to hook up the ground too.

With the ground do I run it from the motor to the battery or from the motor to the frame of my truck??

bakelite
10-05-2007, 06:55 PM
One of these should help. http://www.devon4x4.com/information/downloads/8/Wiring%20Diagrams

kootenaycat
10-06-2007, 12:00 AM
Do the solenoids ground through their body or the other small terminal? If through their bodies, do nothing with the 4 small ones. If they ground through the other small terminal, connect them all to ground. And the red and black cables, do those go to the winch motor? If they do, one of the big lugs on either side of solenoids must go to power, the other side to ground. When you power in, one solenoid connects the winch motor to ground or power, and the solenoid diagonal from it goes to the opposite. When you power out, the reverse happens. If the cables go to battery, then connect the winch motor to the outside lugs. As for winch ground, put it directly to the aux battery.

4Lo
10-06-2007, 12:17 AM
Yes the solonoids ground through the body. The red ("F1") and black ("F2") wires go to the motor.

I'm sure the 12v power goes to the top right post. the only difference I can see of the pic and the the drawing in bakelite's link is that where the cable for "A" is labeled in my pic it differs from the drawing. Does it matter which post it goes to since they are connected by a metal piece anyways??

82 yota
10-06-2007, 02:37 AM
i'm goin to my shop tomorow, if i can find my winch i'll take a pic for ya

4Lo
10-06-2007, 07:07 AM
Thanx man.

FINGERS
10-06-2007, 09:16 AM
Battery power wire to A or the connection below A ,
And ground to the motor casing !

Nutbar
10-06-2007, 09:47 AM
F1 F2 and A all go to the winch motor (on a Warn moor there should be 3 posts) the battery + goes to the side of the soleniod pack not marked with anything in your picture (it does not matter which solenoid post it goes on there is a copper bar linking the 2 solenoids) battery - goes to the motor body.

m j
10-06-2007, 10:43 AM
the right side of that pic has to be 12v+ as the controller gets power from there

kootenaycat
10-06-2007, 04:50 PM
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/8274/

End of the article says it all. I've only wired up newer Warns on ATV's with only 2 cables from the motor. Can someone explain the 3 cables from the 8274 motors? Is it from the motor being a series or series/parallel windings?

4Lo
10-06-2007, 10:37 PM
the right side of that pic has to be 12v+ as the controller gets power from there

Thanx. That's what I thought but needed to here it from somone who knows.

Haney Iron is bending the main part of the bumper for me out of 3/16 steel and then I will fab up the brackets to the frame and mount/ wire the winch. Hopefully next weekend I can have it put together.
:dontknow:

toyon35s
10-06-2007, 10:51 PM
to me it looked fine how it was,im pretty sure mine is hooked up the same way,try hookin up the power and ground nd see what happens:dontknow: [cheers]

4Lo
10-06-2007, 11:45 PM
The winch works. I have bench tested it already by running a jumper from "A" to "F1" then hooking the power up to "F2" yyyyyyyyyyyooooooooooogggggggggggggg6UUUUUUUUUUUUU U00000

Sorry that's what happens when a hampster walks across your laptop keyboard.:D

I haven't had the control box hooked up yet and have not tried my $40 craigslist winch control yet (new by the way[36] ) Will try tommorrow or monday.