PDA

View Full Version : starter or solonoid

thatshott101
09-29-2007, 03:44 PM
how do i figure out which ones dead?????? and whats price ranges to get new ones or re build the starter... went to start the bronco and it clicks then thats it.....

MikeWild
09-29-2007, 05:21 PM
If it's the solenoid, they're dirt cheap, it should probably be on the passenger side of the engine compartment, just cross it with a screwdriver and see what it does, if it's the starter, try running some jumper cables down to the starter, make sure the ignition is in the on position and cross the solenoid or try starting it with the key. If you can hear a click coming from the starter, then nothing, it probably means there's a short somewhere, check the positive lead that goes to the starter. If yer getting a click outta both the starter and the solenoid, I'll lay my money on it simply being a short, the jumper cable thing will will work or at the very least tell ya if the starters dead!

good luck!

gordwould
09-29-2007, 06:06 PM
the solinoid is on the inner fender beside the battery and dont run jumper cables to the starter because its old school ford = no solinoid on starter wich meens it starts cranking the as soon as you put power to it .
also check the battery terminals im sure they need to be cleaned and tightened and i beleave there is a solinoid on the other inner fender wich is probably a continuos use but it will work [cheers]

jeepingpw
09-29-2007, 07:19 PM
If it clicks, check battery first.
If you left lights on or battery is getting old, it may only have enough power to engage the solinoid, but not the starter. Then chech conections & so forth as others have stated.

Squishy
09-29-2007, 07:37 PM
what i would do, get a BFH(ford specialty tool, aka big fawkin hammer) and hit the starter, then see if it will crank over(or better yet have someone start the key, and then someone else to tap on the starter).

if that doesnt work, jump power from the relay underhood so both sides of the relay(should be 2 bolts sticking out that all the wires run to on the relay) are touching each other, coat hanger, pliers, anything metal will work to jump power, if it starts, go get a new relay, if it doesnt, change the starter out(what kind of motor is it? i may have a spare)

Troy
09-29-2007, 07:42 PM
If it clicks, check battery first.
If you left lights on or battery is getting old, it may only have enough power to engage the solinoid, but not the starter. Then chech conections & so forth as others have stated.

i experienced the same problem with my 79

had just enough power to click and run windshield wipers. i charged the battery, cleaned all connections and tightened down battery terminals and it started up. I thought it was the solenoid and bought a new one and made no difference.

Clark
09-29-2007, 08:02 PM
i experienced the same problem with my 79

had just enough power to click and run windshield wipers. i charged the battery, cleaned all connections and tightened down battery terminals and it started up. I thought it was the solenoid and bought a new one and made no difference.

my ground clamp for the battery became to loose and wudnt tighten it anymore , a piece of a beer can did the job for a part-time fix but i bought new clamps and everything was fine , thatshott jus give me a call u kno my # and i got a battery load tester n we will load test the battery incase it is that

Tha_Stepside
09-29-2007, 09:10 PM
check voltage on the solenoid on the non-starter side (12.4-12.6V), then try it on the starter side, ive seen faulty solenoids engage halfway or not all the way and suck voltage. have a buddy try turning over the engine while you test.

Kinslayer
09-29-2007, 09:44 PM
it's a ford. That means the starter is dead.

or that battery is shit. (both likely situations)

gordwould
09-29-2007, 09:46 PM
hey chris(squishy) it's a 351m if it turns out to be a starter but im going with battery or terminals since when rob and i went and got it running it had a dead battery (had to jump start)and the terminals were a little loose and probably could use a cleaning and some grease and a good tightening .
oh and how did the fan and pcv work out for you T?

gordwould
09-29-2007, 09:48 PM
hey kinslayer remember you drive a jeep:confused0006: :D

frogger
09-29-2007, 09:54 PM
im sure you you have electrical problems...might want to check that..

thatshott101
09-29-2007, 10:46 PM
it's a ford. That means the starter is dead.

or that battery is shit. (both likely situations)

bateery would be your fault lol u charged it

Kinslayer
09-29-2007, 10:47 PM
Hehe..like I said..both likely situations.

78bronco
09-29-2007, 10:48 PM
just put a rag in the gas tank filler tube and lite then run like hell!!!

gordwould
09-29-2007, 10:56 PM
you get it fixed yet?

Canaminal
09-29-2007, 11:36 PM
Battery and clamps , if there not clean it prolly won't charge when runnin.

Its easy!;)

thatshott101
09-30-2007, 10:39 AM
havnt fixed yet found out yesturday like 10 mins b4 i had to go to work then got home and wnet to bed (closed last night)