PDA

View Full Version : Best way to remove rusted in roll pins?

85_GMC_4x4
09-27-2007, 07:33 PM
I have a 85 GMC 3/4T and I need to change the 2 u-joints in the front driveshaft in my truck (Transfer case end). I was about to start banging them out when I noticed the u-joint caps don't look like they are ment to be pushed through. On closer inspection, it appears as tho the u-joint caps are held on with a roll pin.

The roll pins are rusted in there pretty good, and there's no way I'll be able to hammer them through. Is the standard procedure to drill them out or is there some other trick to this?

I was surpsied to see 2 sets on u-joints on the transfer case side of the driveshaft. Almost a CV style design but without the boot. Neat, but twice as expensive to replace :(

pumpkin
09-27-2007, 07:57 PM
Its not a roll pin. At the factory they inject plastic into the small holes, thats what holds the caps in. The way I do them is to heat them up with a torch till the plastic oozes out, then they come apart like normal. If you don't heat it, and I've tried this, you will most likely bend the ears. If you don't have a torch try puting it in the bbq.

85_GMC_4x4
09-27-2007, 08:17 PM
Its not a roll pin. At the factory they inject plastic into the small holes, thats what holds the caps in. The way I do them is to heat them up with a torch till the plastic oozes out, then they come apart like normal. If you don't heat it, and I've tried this, you will most likely bend the ears. If you don't have a torch try puting it in the bbq.

Well that's different!

I do have a propane torch, and will give it a try.

So when I order replacement U-joints, what holds the caps on? Will it be like a "regular" U-joint and they will be pressed into place?

duff
09-27-2007, 08:21 PM
the replacement ones come with c style clips that go on the inside of the cup

kootenaycat
09-28-2007, 12:06 AM
[quote=pumpkin;1178205]Its not a roll pin. At the factory they inject plastic into the small holes, thats what holds the caps in. The way I do them is to heat them up with a torch till the plastic oozes out, quote]

Looks kinda cool too, sort of like worms wiggling their way out of a hole! :D
Always got a kick out doing it, I guess I liked torturing bugs as kid with a magnifying glass! :confused:

Oh, and it smells really good too, might want to have a little ventilation when heating them up.

nbrowser
09-28-2007, 09:27 PM
Ah yes, the lastic end cap retention stuff......torched out tons at the shop I work at.......lovely effect for any new guy to see at the shop.......

surreysinner
09-28-2007, 09:37 PM
I did a u joint on my truck a few weeks back that would not give no matter what. It was heated , banged , viced etc and no give.

Finally I used a hilti gun and blasted it 2 times and it blew the fucker right out.

Hope that helps.

m j
09-28-2007, 11:56 PM
propane torch is perfect for that job
you dont want to over heat it anyway

Leithmc
09-29-2007, 08:57 AM
It's called double carden

85_GMC_4x4
09-29-2007, 10:08 AM
It's called double carden

Thanks... are you refering the the U-joint setup? It's called "Double Carden" and not "Kinda like a CV joint"?

Always nice to know the proper name.

Lynx
09-29-2007, 01:36 PM
yea it's called a double cardan joint named after Gerolamo Cardano. Watch out when you take out the 2nd u-joint cause the transfercase side yoke has a bearing the middle of the big mess. The part you need is a driveshaft centering yoke. You'll probably want to replace it if you have it all apart, mine costed around 60 bucks...comes with the new yoke and the bearings. You hafta lube it anytime you do the u-joints as well, has a grease nipple too, sometimes its kinda hidden.