PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Ram Hubs

geozukisamurai
09-15-2007, 10:17 AM
I am trying to remove the hubs on my 93 ram 250.
All 6 allen bolts are frozen solid in the hubs . I am
thinking about drilling the heads off ,removing the hubs and
then twisting them out with a pair of vice grips.I have sprayed
them with pen. oil ,tried a little heat and the allen wrench just twisted out of the head .Now the heads are messed up .Does anyone have any other
ideas or should I just drill them out .
My truck is up on stands now with the front brakes apart so I am kinda dead in the water right now . Thanks

crazylike
09-15-2007, 10:19 AM
tap and dye and a drill or buy one them grab it things made to remove broken bolts etc.

bakelite
09-15-2007, 04:24 PM
Reverse drill bits work pretty good. Or buy an extractor for that size but make sure you use the right size drill for it. BUT be careful, you break off the screw extractor or the drill in there which is easy to do on small stuff, gonna be hard to get out.

Good luck. [cheers]

tenpack
09-16-2007, 11:06 AM
i had the same problem with those thin long bolts, i hammered a torx into there and they came out nicely. Not the greatest solution but a liast ditch efort.

geozukisamurai
09-16-2007, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the help guys .I ended up drilling the heads off and sliding the covers off.I was then able to easily remove the bolts.
Is there some kind of special aluminum washer in there ? Because when I drilled it as the head came loose some other material came out as well.

Cookie
09-16-2007, 05:12 PM
shit i gots to do my front right, they a bitch too.