PDA

View Full Version : 351 clutch?

BeerBaron666
09-08-2007, 08:48 PM
OK I have a 89 351w I'm useing a np435 I'm just wondering what I have to use for a clutch,can I just use the clutch from the 89 and use the shift fork from my 78. And can I use the ZF clutch I heard its bigger and what would I have to do to make it work[cheers]

m j
09-08-2007, 09:47 PM
dunno about the shift fork. what engine did the fork come outa? what bell housing r u using?
a LUK 07-032 is for 88-92 4 speeds - 11" 1.125"-10spline also used in 300 I6s
the PRO GOLD version is 07-907

arent those all internal slave hydro applicaions though? too new for me

jeepingpw
09-08-2007, 10:16 PM
:confused0006: '89 351W should have the Mazda 5 speed with internal slave cyl to move the throw out bearing.
They did have the SB ZF's later on, but I can't remember what years.
With the 4 speed, you will need an older bell housing & convert your peddles for a manual linkage for the clutch. This would require alot of work as the frame won't have the holes for the clutch peddle linkage & I'm not sure if the peddles out of an older truck will fit in the cab.

I've gone the other way, '88 Mazda 5 speed into a '69 F250, but that was easy.
Clutch dia. should be ok, I used a '69 disc/pressure plate with the '88 Mazda 5 speed. Just measure the output shaft dia of the trans so it mates to the pilot bushing on the crank.

I have a '85 1/2 F350 4x4 with a BW full syn 4 speed that has the external slave cyl hyd clutch the same as the ZF's use but with an old style cast bell housing that isn't part of the trans. (but with the bracket for the slave cast onto it).

If only I could find a ZF to replace my 4 speed.

As for bell housings, I have found that in the '70's Ford used 3 SB bell houseings with each haveing different internal depths (use a pressure plate with too much height & it binds on the inside of the bell housing).

Also found that they have 5 different hieghts for pressure plates (deck to fingers), & to go along with this, 5 starters with different length gear shaft lengths.

Also watch out on the '70s C6 as there were 3 different oil pump shaft lengths.

In The Zone
09-09-2007, 08:50 AM
i just made a bracket to mount a external slave to the bell on my t 18
sb 302 in the bII
figure out how much throw u need then find a external slave to match
mounting is the easiest
i have a cast iron bell here for a 351 if u need... with fork and boot

barracuda
09-09-2007, 10:06 AM
the 351 w uses a couple of different BH . somewill take a standard small block BH and others like mine needed a differnt type that use a ball stud shift fork for a mechanical linkage and a different contour to clear the flywheel and pressure plate properly

BeerBaron666
09-10-2007, 04:13 PM
:confused0006: '89 351W should have the Mazda 5 speed with internal slave cyl to move the throw out bearing.
They did have the SB ZF's later on, but I can't remember what years.
With the 4 speed, you will need an older bell housing & convert your peddles for a manual linkage for the clutch. This would require alot of work as the frame won't have the holes for the clutch peddle linkage & I'm not sure if the peddles out of an older truck will fit in the cab.

I have an older bellhousing and the truck is a 78 f150 so it's all mechanical linkage in it so would I just have to find a older shift fork from a older 351w and just use an older clutch?