PDA

View Full Version : back lash on a diff

toyon35s
09-07-2007, 12:52 PM
anyone out here know how to set the back lash on a 4cyl toyota diff?[cheers]

bakelite
09-07-2007, 02:51 PM
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/gear_setup/

"Install the original shim removed from the old pinion onto the new pinion and press a new rear bearing onto the new pinion. This shim determines the pinion checking distance (CD). This will be discussed more later. As a starting point, it is best to begin the process by using this original pinion shim that came with the housing you are using."

An easy way to do this, make sure you save the old shim to do this, if you are installing new bearing use the old one as a donor brg, use a flapper wheel so it slides on and off the pinion then when you got it all set, then install the new bearing, saves a lot of time. Hope this helps.[cheers]

toyon35s
09-07-2007, 06:37 PM
im taking it in,looked at my hanes manual,it suggests taking it to a shop,sonow i have to find a decent place that will doit for cheap:dontknow:

Runnah
09-08-2007, 02:02 AM
There is a few guys who do it for cheap $150, but overall if you want a shop to do it your looking at $500 or more. If you have the inch pound torque wrench, a good vice and a dial indicator do it yourself....

HEAVY METAL
09-08-2007, 02:03 AM
try front lash?

toyon35s
09-08-2007, 07:47 AM
i looked in to it but cant figure it out ,if any one knows how to set them up,theres somre cashg in it for you,let me know,pm me,i can figure out the ring but not the pinion[cheers]

bakelite
09-08-2007, 08:00 AM
Hopefully you can find a person to install them and lets you watch, once you see it done then you can try a set yourself. It's not so bad if you follow the instructions, keep everything in order. Good luck. [cheers]

In The Zone
09-08-2007, 11:58 AM
you need to set your pinion depth before you set up the ring gear pattern Obviously......

you need a dial indicator

Good luck.....