PDA

View Full Version : Yanks Peak Sept long weekend

Fuzzydog
09-05-2007, 11:43 PM
Had a nice trip up Yanks Peak and surrounding area on Sunday. camped out at Cariboo Lake - way fewer bugs than in July. Really pleasant this time of year. 2 vehicles from WL and 3 from 100 Mile camped out at Cariboo Lake on the Likely side of Yanks Peak. A large group from Prince George camped out on the Wells side and we had arranged to meet up top about midday on Sunday.

On our side, the trip started with a short visit from 2 conservation officers who made sure to have all our particulars. They told us that on their days off from being CO's they are contracted to the Ministry of Recreation, Sport and Arts. Busy fellows.
So here we go with the pics:
Midday Saturday and almost at Cariboo Lake - this is crossing the Cariboo River which flows out of the lake. Look at the color of that water. Some of the guys tried fishing it but no major action. One guy did pull a nice dolly out of the lake though.

How's that for environmental damage?!? We went exploring some old roads Saturday and came to this spot where someone had been driving a big machine straight through the woods where there was no road before. On our travels we came to some spots where they had obviously done some work - almost looked like they were making new landings - maybe going to log there again??

MMMmm! Supper on saturday night - grilled Zukes with Asiago cheese, soy and sesame oil marinated steaks and roasted potatoes. Gotta keep the energy up when you're in the woods!

More environmental damage. This is about 4 or 5 kms up the Yanks Peak road, shortly after our meeting with the CO's. And they worry about a few 4x4's ripping up the woods? Someone needs a reality check.

Corey just couldn't wait to get those tires chewing into something....

A little group shot of the crew from the Likely side. And yes that is a Chevy Astro van but it now has a 2 speed transfer case, 31" tires and a mild lift. I think he wants some 31" Wrangler MTR's....right Hanan? hint hint...:D

Every once in a while you come up on these signs which are absolutely the worst markers ever. They tell you to STOP! keep on the designated road and they have this small scale map to help you figure out where the designated road is.......would it kill them to have a little 'you are HERE' indicator so that you can place yourself on the map? Turns out it doesn't really matter anyway - according to the ministry guy the designated road is 'impassable' and they are allowing traffic to take a different route up. That is the one we took - called Little Snowshoe Creek. The building here is what used to be the Borland and Veith Store. The inside pics are of that cabin - looks like someone uses it sometimes. The woodsmoke smell inside was almost unbearable.

mmmm - if it was the right season, that could have been supper right there...

Little Snowshoe ck is reportedly one of the highest gold producing creeks in the cariboo. Lots of evidence of old mine operations as well as new ones for a good way up the creek. We couldn't figure out how and why these rocks were piled as they were - it was a huge long pile of round river rocks, all piled up and going up beside the creek and the road. It would have taken months or years to do it by hand and there was no evidence of machinery involved.

found some really cool looking rocks that had these bulging veins on them

Still climbing to Yanks and getting more and more interesting. There wasn't any really hardcore wheelin but it was a fun ride.

this spot is going to need some work soon. Hard to tell from the pic but on the right hand side the runoff has really gouged the road. someone partially filled it but I bet by next spring its going to take shovels and work to make it passable again.

I have been told that the Yanks area is an ancient volcano. The road we came up was one side of the volcano, then we crossed this meadow which was the middle of the volcano and then up the other side to meet with the PG guys. The last little bit was a blast - very steep, very rocky. With all the PG guys watching us come up it would have been embarassing to not make it, so good thing we all did.

After the obligatory introductions at the top, the PG group took us for a spin to Roundtop Mtn, which is back towards Wells the way they had come up. Not a brutal trail but some slow going because of the rocks. We were driving on some pretty jagged stuff at times and you wouldn't want to spin a tire.

Hard to imagine actually working a mine up here. I snowmobile here in the winter and I can't believe how much of these buildings are hidden by snow in the winter. Right near here are some actual mine tunnels.

The next 8 shots are the views from 'little' Roundtop mountain at about 2035m.

This is a view to 'big' Roundtop where 1 vehicle from the PG group headed. apparently there was a sketchy steep slippery part on the way down that was iffy about getting back up, especially when wet, and it was starting to rain..... no big deal for the PG guys because there was an alternate route from the bottom, but for us it would have meant a long detour to get back to camp if we couldn't make it back up. We already had a pretty long drive home all the way back over Yanks to get to camp.

Heading home!

I bet this cabin is ancient. I didn't gps the elevation but it was the highest one I recall seeing and it was fairly close to Roundtop.

Part of the problem up there - ripping up the meadows. It was like grand central station up there, lots of people besides us and the gang from PG - lots of trucks and atvs. Didn't see anyone doing the damage but the evidence was there.

Next morning - the rig all packed up and ready to head home for a nice hot shower.
Also a couple shots of Cariboo Lake. Really nice lake and nice rec site but it was pretty packed this weekend. someone was having some sort of family reunion thing and they liked their music loud and late......

4Lo
09-06-2007, 12:00 AM
Awsome pictures and beautiful country. It's neat to explore those old cabins and such.[cheers]

kootenaycat
09-06-2007, 12:17 AM
Awesome pics and story! [cheers] Can't believe how much it looks like Trout lake/Meadow Mtn area. Would like to explore it one of these summers. Did you find any mines with open portals safe to explore? I got a thing about going in dark damp holes! :D

Basserine
09-06-2007, 02:50 AM
Great Pics. I've lived in 100 Mile 35 yrs & never been up Pikes Peak. Your post really makes me wonder why. Guess I'll have to get the FJ running for next year.

captain
09-06-2007, 03:56 AM
wow nice pics man. i gotta get out there one day, different terrain

Fuzzydog
09-06-2007, 08:00 AM
kootenaycat - we explored the opening to one of the mines it was collapsed but a person 'could' have crawled over the debris through a narrow opening at the top. I looked in and it widened up nicely but we didn't go in. The opening looked really sketchy. The PG guys showed us another mine opening but I never had a close look at that one, and they told us about another one that branched into 5 tunnels just above that one. There are exploring opportunities up there - didn't want to do it all in one day ;)

When you get into the backcountry and find stuff like that it really makes you think about the history of the area. especially when we found the cemetary (sorry no pics) with names, birth and death dates, and sometimes cause of death. An interesting one just showed that the fellow died 'about 1929'??? maybe nobody saw him for a while and then found his body in 1929? One guy lived a ripe old age for the time - I believe he was over 70 years old when he died in early 1900's - 1905, I think.

northernman
09-06-2007, 08:02 AM
[cheers] Very cool place! Sorry I missed the action weekend before kids started school could't get away. Anyways great pic's thanks![cheers] [36] [36]

UU
09-06-2007, 08:12 AM
Cool pics and story [cheers]

Been meaning to do that trip for years

bakelite
09-06-2007, 08:24 AM
Great pictures Fuzzy, looks like you guys had a good trip [36] [cheers]

bcsuvan
09-06-2007, 08:34 AM
Awesome pics. I knew there was a reason why you were leading our group! poke poke!

Fuzzydog
09-06-2007, 08:45 AM
Heyhey! Everyone - allow me to introduce bcsuvan - he is the pilot of the green astrovan with the superpimp rack. That rig is much more capable than a first glance would indicate and he isn't afraid of a few scratches and even small dents here and there.

Suz
09-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Cool pics and story [cheers]

Been meaning to do that trip for years

So.....lets go!!!

Great pics:D

Cookie
09-06-2007, 11:02 AM
wow cool shit man! looks like a awsome trip.i love that area just awsome shit man

Fuzzydog
09-06-2007, 11:12 AM
So.....lets go!!!

Great pics:D

Anytime you are up for it, drop me a line and we'll give you the guided tour.[cheers]

BOVINE
09-06-2007, 12:09 PM
Awesome pic`s.........I have been wanting to do that trip too.

Taxidermy
09-06-2007, 12:51 PM
nice pics MOUNTAINS [redneck]

BrokenToy
09-06-2007, 05:45 PM
definitely a nice area to wheel in, looks like some good times [cheers]

Dirkdoesdirt
09-06-2007, 08:07 PM
It was a great trip and fun to meet up with others enjoying the sport.
Yanks Peak is a place I've been going to for years and it still amazes me of the different places that I find each trip.
Good bunch of southerners to wheel with.
Let me know if you are going again as I'd love to hook up with you guys again.

Dirk

jeeper
09-06-2007, 08:15 PM
Add another one on the list of trips to do !

I love the trails like that that are made for minin not loggin !

Fantastic pics and a great story to go with them !

Glad you all had a good trip ---bruce

highwaystar
09-06-2007, 08:26 PM
awesome story and pictures!!! good work!

killman
09-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Nice pics. I recognize the red zuki the guy works at the auto parts store near my house. Never seen what it looks like up there without snow. Nice. Might have to make the trip someday.