PDA

View Full Version : Trout Lake Annual

kootenaycat
09-04-2007, 10:52 PM
Still resting up from our annual quad/camping trip to Trout lake. Took off on Sunday Aug 26 and got back home Sat Sept 1st. Rode every day and had the quads over 7000' every day except 1. Put about 700km on the quads and had another great trip! Already planning next years rides. :D

Going to split up the trip reports into a few different posts, took over 450 pics, so trying to pick out the best of each day.

Days 1 and 2 we didn't venture far from camp which was at Gerrard located at the south/east end of Trout lake. Lots of nice sites to chose from and though there was lots of bear signs, we didn't have any visitors at THIS camp. [16] Can't say the same for the last half of our trip, but that will wait 'til later! :D

Arrived Sunday and set up camp then headed up to Silvercup Ridge from the American Ck forest road. Even with the overcast weather we weren't dissapointed, amazing country above 7000', alpine meadows, vertical rock faces rising above us and the usual mining history consisting of old prospectors cabins, narrow trails and mines carved into the steep rock walls.

Wayne trying his hand at goldpanning, no colour to be had though.

This old cabin has seen better days, but is a testament to the quality of construction seeing as it hasn't been used in decades, sees probably 10' of snow every winter and is still standing! [36]

Top of the ridge, nothing but open meadows. A sledders dream, not a stump anywhere!

Wayne and Speedy checking out the mine. This one had a really sketchy trail to it, one slip crossing the slope and they would have tumbled/slid down about 600'. :eek:

After riding the quad as high on the narrow ridge as I could, I walked up to the top and saw this cool hole in the rock. Shows how narrow the razor top of the ridge was.

Scott on one of the narrow goat trails the miners used to guide their horses around the mountain.

It had rained in the valley bottom earlier in the day, and snowed at the top of the mountain, remember this is August 26! :eek:

Got just a little foggy later in the day.

Day 2 we headed up the south side of the lake to try to find a mine on my map. This is a view of Trout lake looking north/west towards Trout lake city.

Couldn't find the mine near the lake so we headed down the Lardeau valley and checked out some old logging roads. This is looking at Poplar and Cascade creeks across the valley.

View looking up Lake creek valley and Howser ridge above to the right. Tried to ride the old trail up to it from Lake ck, but it was too grown in.

We attempted to get up Poplar creek but were stopped by a big rock slide, so headed up Cascade creek to check it out. Strange hole in the sand hill, must have been made from a water source above it. Didn't want Ryan going in to check it out, so it's still a mystery.

I think this is the Cascade glacier, just one of dozens in the area.

The loggging crew used this oldie for a water tender. Cool to see it still being used.

Little waterfall coming off one of the glaciers

Monday night was totally opposite of Sunday, gorgeous clear skys and the start of a full moon to boot. Made for some cool photos with a tripod.

That's it for the first couple of days, stay tuned for the rest! [cheers]

get stuck
09-04-2007, 11:29 PM
looks awsome

Mud Slinging Dumb Fawker
09-04-2007, 11:41 PM
looks like a sweet time and i cant wait till the snow [36] [36] [36] [36]

surreysinner
09-05-2007, 12:17 AM
Unreal cool pictures as per usualll

Taxidermy
09-05-2007, 12:37 AM
I think your camping and exploring trips are cool! I love to see your pictures - holes in the mountains - mine pictures are great.

snowman
09-05-2007, 08:49 AM
Kick ass pics! Sleddin season is gettin closer!

Fuzzydog
09-05-2007, 08:56 AM
.....I was going to post up some pics of MY weekend....but....well, maybe now I just won't bother.....[j] ...somehow they just won't compare....

Nice shots and great write up.:D

[cheers]

redman
09-05-2007, 09:48 AM
great pics as always

thanks for sharing [cheers]

Honky
09-05-2007, 09:55 AM
In a word amazing!!!!!!!!! Keep those pictures coming….better yet invite me along next time

Murd0c
09-05-2007, 09:57 AM
what awesome pics, I swear after seeing where u go makes me tempted to sell the toy and buy a quad

Jeepnut
09-05-2007, 09:58 AM
You fuckers have way to much fun up there.....Iam making next years trip so tell Wayne we are going to need room enough for two fires again:happy0045:

leftfield
09-05-2007, 11:05 AM
Wow , those really are some great pictures. thanks for sharing.

lizard
09-05-2007, 04:42 PM
yah we need a fibc trip up there

highwaystar
09-05-2007, 06:39 PM
sweet pics. [36] Cant wait for the others!! such an awesome place!!

I wanted to go up there for the long weekend but couldnt find anyone to go with. went to castelgar instead. wish I knew someone else was there even just to camp with. oh well.

nykoma
09-05-2007, 08:49 PM
sweet pictures of the trip[cheers]

yota90ca
09-06-2007, 09:41 AM
Great Pic Guys. Would have loved to go to trout instead of my sisters wedding in Red Deer.

The North end of the West Kootenays is aways a great place to go and see some wild life, mining, and to just go relax.

curlee
09-06-2007, 09:51 AM
I love those night time shots with the stars coming out.

kootenaycat
09-06-2007, 10:49 PM
yah we need a fibc trip up there

A great idea and Honky and I talked once about making a FIBC trip out this way but it never got any further then that. Guess next year we should put some serious thought into it! I've used all my holidays this year, otherwise would try a shorter trip in the next couple months before the snow flies. Mind you I do have weekends off if anyone wants to explore the Kootenays! [cheers]

And John, we had to borrow an old woodstove out of a cabin this year, worked awesome! Some day you'll convert! :D