PDA

View Full Version : wood under jack stands

tenpack
08-29-2007, 03:46 PM
im going to raise and supposed my truck by the frame while im swapping in my new front axle. My 6-ton jack stands max out @ 23'' high, but my frame with tires on is 24''. I need about 3-4 extra inches underneath for everything to clear. Any non-sketchy way to lift teh sucker up? I was thinking plywood stacked with a lip around to keep the jackstand centered?

and PA is out fo 12-ton jackstands for at least a month, and lordco/napa want 300 for the pair.PA is 129.00

factor
08-29-2007, 04:00 PM
how big is the base of the jack stands if it's less than 12" square i can grab ya some wood beam blocks they will be 5 1/4 " thick 11 7/8 wide

epic3
08-29-2007, 04:34 PM
dont use cinder blocks!

UU
08-29-2007, 04:56 PM
how much clearance do ya need once the tire are off ?

I usually jack it up remove the tires and lower onto the jack stands

m j
08-29-2007, 05:07 PM
cinder blocks are fine
better if you use a cinder block with a 2x8 board on top to spread the load

epic3
08-29-2007, 05:37 PM
cinder blocks are fine
better if you use a cinder block with a 2x8 board on top to spread the load

Um no there not
Just last week I went against better judgment and used one to get my truck up a little higher and it collapsed luckily (IMO) I wasnt under it but instead a lower jackstand for it to fall onto.
So in short DO NOT EVER USE CINDER BLOCKS it will kill you one day

jeeper
08-29-2007, 05:45 PM
Check out the local housebuildin jobsites ---

Im sure in the scrap wood piles you can find some gluelam beam scrap ends ! ----basically plywood layers glued together to make large structural beams !

The glue laminated beams would hold up incredibly for ya ! -bruce

tenpack
08-29-2007, 06:15 PM
been searching around pirate and CRIB and a fair amount of people use 2x4's and stack em like janga to make a stack. I only need about 6-8 inches high,ill grab some and get to work in the morn.

epic3
08-29-2007, 06:28 PM
thats what they do at marinas for boats

m j
08-29-2007, 06:47 PM
use them all the time
I dont lay them on their side
never had one collapse
if you point load them on the flat they will crumble as they were never designed to take wieght like that
I have a huge ford sitting on cinderblocks right now, been there for a year

m j
08-29-2007, 06:49 PM
been searching around pirate and CRIB and a fair amount of people use 2x4's and stack em like janga to make a stack. I only need about 6-8 inches high,ill grab some and get to work in the morn.

cribs

expensive to make with the price of wood theses days
used them daily when I used to move portable/modular buildings
the scrap bin on our residential job site has the perfect blocks, parallam beam

jeeper
08-29-2007, 07:00 PM
cribs

expensive to make with the price of wood theses days
used them daily when I used to move portable/modular buildings
the scrap bin on our residential job site has the perfect blocks, parallam beam

Thats what i was suggestin -Just couldnt remember the right name to call it !

Well worth your time checkin out the construction waste areas ! Nice and solid !

epic3
08-29-2007, 07:10 PM
use them all the time
I dont lay them on their side
never had one collapse
if you point load them on the flat they will crumble as they were never designed to take wieght like that
I have a huge ford sitting on cinderblocks right now, been there for a year

not gonna argue with ya like I said I had one collase infront of mine own eyes just the other day [cheers]
when its my life or others lives at risk I wouldnt do it

jeeper
08-29-2007, 07:12 PM
Absolutley MJ ---Cinder blocks can hold a lot of weight but they have to be in the upright position !

Crazy_Eye
08-29-2007, 08:20 PM
had my truck on cinder blocks for a week. we shook the shit out of it when we first put it up. used 4 on each side 2 high 2 wide. ya not the best way to go about it but will work if your carefull.

Troy
08-29-2007, 11:08 PM
ya parralam if you can find enough of it

or rip a bunch of 2x4's off from local dirka dirka jobsite and make those trailer blocks they use for trailers like mj said

or what i did i used a bunch of 4'' inch by 4'' wood wheel blocks and stack them up alternating

barracuda
08-30-2007, 12:16 AM
get two healthy sized logs and cut them to desired height with the chainsaw and presto, thats what i did

Troy
08-30-2007, 12:55 AM
get er dun quinn

http://www.transbuddha.com/images/uploads/idiot.jpg

HEAVY METAL
08-30-2007, 07:45 AM
i use landscape ties.. you can cut too length so they cover the width of the truck... ie across the frame

tenpack
08-30-2007, 10:52 AM
troy- thats pics awesome.

thanks guys, ive decided on the janga style idea.

Another note, there are "house jacks" that are like massive jack stands with a very wide base, not like a pole jack with a screwing collar. Acklands has em, seen on pirate too.