PDA

View Full Version : Spray on box coatings

bakelite
08-24-2007, 03:24 PM
Anyone have any success using a spray on box coating like duraliner or gator liner over fiberglass? [cheers]

Apathy
08-24-2007, 03:40 PM
Joe, shouldn't be a problem buddy. They say it will stick to anything as long as its clean.

I put the do it yourself stuff over the import Tar / rubber sound barrier stuff and it came out pretty good.

Kinslayer
08-24-2007, 03:41 PM
it's an epoxy, two part mix kind of deal. you mixer up in the pail and giver - should stick to anything. Wear gloves. When I did it I got it all over my hands - didn't come off for two weeks.

bakelite
08-24-2007, 03:49 PM
Thanks guys, I've used these kinda products before, just wondered about the over fiberglass thing. [cheers] I guess if I sand it real good it should be okay. [cheers]

bakelite
08-24-2007, 03:50 PM
oh yeah I hear ya, gotta wear it off, last time I used it I wore two pairs of gloves and still got it all over my hands lol. ;) [cheers]

Apathy
08-24-2007, 03:51 PM
oh yeah I hear ya, gotta wear it off, last time I used it I wore two pairs of gloves and still got it all over my hands lol. ;) [cheers]

I hear that. I used Herculiner wich is only a 1 part. But it was the same to get off.

I'm gonna be scrubbing it here pretty soon to get all the crap out, i'll let you know how she holds up

epic3
08-25-2007, 11:53 PM
Thanks guys, I've used these kinda products before, just wondered about the over fiberglass thing. [cheers] I guess if I sand it real good it should be okay. [cheers]

dont get to crazy with the fiberglass sanding a good scuff and cleaning with 100 grit should be plenty

bakelite
08-26-2007, 04:36 AM
Okay, thanks Phil [cheers]

epic3
08-26-2007, 11:58 AM
no probs dude and if ya fuck up the fiberglass I can give ya some help (writen help) with that too after all that is one of my specialties

HEAVY METAL
08-26-2007, 12:00 PM
dont get to crazy with the fiberglass sanding a good scuff and cleaning with 100 grit should be plenty

yeah what phil said... oyu want too " rough" up the surface so the product can " bite" into it. you dont want too sand it smooth...[cheers]

bakelite
08-26-2007, 02:12 PM
Cool thanks, the gel coat is starting to crack a bit, not much and I wanted it black anyway so this seems like a good idea. I'll just sand it rough and try it out if it ever stops raining here lol. [cheers]

Nutbar
08-26-2007, 02:39 PM
Hey Joe

I used the Gator Guard on the tub of my CJ and it's all fiberglass worked very well it has been on for 7 years now and only starting to wear off in the high traffic areas and a few spots that get beat up with the tools and spare parts. Matt and I just roughed up the gel coat with 80 grit sand paper and sprayed it on.

bakelite
08-26-2007, 02:46 PM
That sounds perfect Mikey, thanks, gonna do the tops on the Land Cruisers, POR the metal trim, then put a lining over the whole thing, I think it will cure any future rust or fiberglass problems. [cheers]

InteriorZR2
08-26-2007, 03:12 PM
After you sand, give it a clean with some plastic prep cleaner, and it should be good to go. We paint fiberglass everyday at work, after it is sanded it gets a shot of RM 902 degreaser/cleaner, and right into the paint booth.. [cheers]