PDA

View Full Version : Salmon Arm Roots and Blues Festival

dustoff
08-20-2007, 09:11 PM
Took a long weekend with my daughters and some friend to see some music up in Salmon Arm at the Roots & Blues Festival. I must say, we had and excellent time. It was a fabulous festival. Very family friendly even though it was a party. We camped across the road from the festival in on of 2000 20x20 camping spots, large enough for a vehicle and a tent. Meet and partied with some cool people at the camp sites. We had backstage guest passes, so we were able to see all the main acts from the front row, very cool.

One of the main reasons went to the festival was so my daughter Ivy could see and meet her song writing hero Corb Lund. She was able to talk with him a couple of times, got an autograph and this picture. She introduce me the Corb's music, it is great music, worth checking out if you don't know who he is. Corb put on a great show.

Ivy's best friend and one of our regular camping buddies, ChloŽ on stage with her dad Luke Doucet and Melissa McClelland singing Tom Wait's Gun Street Girl. ChloŽ received one of the biggest applauses of the festival. Luke Doucet is a great friend and the reason we had backstage passes and the opportunity for Ivy to meet her hero.

Apologies to my friends and Corb Lund and Spearhead, but my favourite act was The Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band. The Rev played a steel guitar the old fashioned way, picking. His wife Breezy played the washboard and his brother never made it across the boarder, so they had a stand in. They played mostly their own music based on the blues from the south in the 30's I think. Very entertaining live act, well worth it if you can get the opportunity to see them.

My dream machine. Enough said.

Here's a few photos for the festival itself.

A happy partier

One of the 4 campgrounds across the road from the festival

The main thoroughfare

In front of one of seven stages

I plan on doing this festival again, making it part of a longer trip to the area. Beautiful area. I would like to say thanks to all the volunteers that made this a great festival. [cheers]

redman
08-20-2007, 09:23 PM
looks like it was a big show cool that she got to meet her hero to

kamloopsyota
08-20-2007, 10:15 PM
my folks go to that every year......seems like a lot of hippies

dustoff
08-20-2007, 11:42 PM
my folks go to that every year......seems like a lot of hippies

Sure there were their share of hippies, but there where many more people. Maybe the hippies gave the festival the easy-going-ness, but the blues was there long before the hippies.

I'm not a hippie, but we all have benefited from their easy-going-ness in BC.

It was great.

Taxidermy
08-21-2007, 12:00 AM
GREAT PICS[cheers]

coreyg8
08-21-2007, 02:57 PM
right on. i was there saturday night for corb too. he was great as always!

Honky
08-21-2007, 03:28 PM
That looks like a lot of fun!!!!!!!!

Lynx
08-21-2007, 05:03 PM
I worked the mainstage last year and it was pretty good.

Halo
08-21-2007, 07:31 PM
Man I didn't know about this event!?! I love corb(even when he played for the smalls) and the rev. Maybe next year I guess.

highwaystar
08-21-2007, 09:08 PM
Dang Im sorry I missed it!

So sweet that she got to meet him [36]

I Love Corb even have an autographed 45 record from him. Missed it due to having to go home to see family. oh well next time

For those who dont know him, download Corb Lund - Truth Comes Out
Anyone who loves this great land should like it.