PDA

View Full Version : Freakin 4L valve cover gaskets!!!

Fuzzydog
08-16-2007, 10:13 AM
what is the definitive answer to getting this to stop leaking!?! The design of the cover seems really good - there is actually an inside lip on the valve cover which sits down inside the head. I can't even see how oil would get through there unless it is under really high pressure, but my pcv system is all ok - bought new hoses/tubes not many kms ago.

I am a huge fan of "the right stuff" sealant and I'm considering putting a huge gob of it on the valve cover and then just putting it down into place on the head til it cures. then snug the valve cover bolts down a bit more to compress 'my' gasket.

My jeep is a 90 XJ and the stealership tells me there is no gasket for that year???

What have others done to cure the leak?

broken_down
08-16-2007, 10:31 AM
I have a 90 xj, got a gasket from napa. Installed it with rtv sealant on the gasket and the valve cover. No leaks at all. works every time!!!

broken_down
08-16-2007, 10:35 AM
also make sure that all your surfaces are clean, scrape off any old gasket residue, as well as clean all surfaces with thinner. remember to also tighten your valve cover bolts from end to end, gradually making your way to the middle.

Good Luck

Fuzzydog
08-16-2007, 10:42 AM
I have a 90 xj, got a gasket from napa. Installed it with rtv sealant on the gasket and the valve cover. No leaks at all. works every time!!!

was it a cork gasket or rubber?

broken_down
08-16-2007, 11:09 AM
I beleive it was a cork gasket. It's the only type they had!

Fuzzydog
08-16-2007, 11:15 AM
thanks for the info broken_down. I'll check the local napa.

B
08-16-2007, 11:31 AM
DO NOT USE THE GASKET .... we at the shop just use the right stuff without gasket's clean and go ...

Fuzzydog
08-16-2007, 11:36 AM
ARGGGH!!! What to do? - "use the gasket", "don't use the gasket"!!! :)

BIGB - how do you guys do it - just gob it on, or a thin coat or what? Do you let it cure for a while before tightening the valve cover bolts?

Thanks for sharing info on what you guys do.

I just used the right stuff last time and frankly I am really surprised that it leaked again - I cleaned the valve cover and the head with alcohol based cleaner (no residue) and had a good bead all around. I'm thinking I might have had too thin of a bead....

broken_down
08-16-2007, 12:39 PM
be liberal with the sealant. you can always cut off any big blobs after it has dried!

B
08-16-2007, 01:03 PM
ARGGGH!!! What to do? - "use the gasket", "don't use the gasket"!!! :)

BIGB - how do you guys do it - just gob it on, or a thin coat or what? Do you let it cure for a while before tightening the valve cover bolts?

Thanks for sharing info on what you guys do.

I just used the right stuff last time and frankly I am really surprised that it leaked again - I cleaned the valve cover and the head with alcohol based cleaner (no residue) and had a good bead all around. I'm thinking I might have had too thin of a bead....

put a good heavy bead on it but both sides need to be very clean ..... let it sit 15, 20 min's then do er up [cheers] [cheers]

tenpack
08-16-2007, 09:20 PM
"the right stuff" works very well, buddy had a bent valver cover in his old ford that leaked a good amount, bent it back as best as we could, applied some of that and shes al sealed up.

DirtyComanche
08-16-2007, 11:08 PM
I was going to say, sometimes the 4.0 covers get bent. Then they won't seal worth a ding.

As a general rule, if a gasket is optional, I won't use one.

Fuzzydog
08-17-2007, 10:03 AM
well I did it last night (after the rain stopped :mad: ) - I just used a really good sized bead of the right stuff, let it set up and when I put it on I used lock washers and only tightened til the lockwashers were flat. This should give me a bit more squeezage room if I need to crank em down a bit more.

the trip into work was smoke free but, LOL, I started gushing antifreeze when I got to work because I forgot to replace a hose clamp on the upper rad hose at the tstat cover. Had to remove it to get the valve cover off and on.

snowman
08-17-2007, 11:12 AM
That's what we did when I worked at Chrysler, works great![36]

nbrowser
08-18-2007, 06:50 PM
erm lil correction from a mechanic when tightening shit up.....like valve covers......start from the center and work your way out to the ends little by little....that way it'll tighten down properly and securely......

Dustyxj
09-04-2007, 10:43 PM
I had trouble with the same thing on my 90 xj. I got fed up and decided to use rtv again but this time I let it sit over night before starting it to ensure that it had cured fully.

Happypants
09-14-2007, 09:02 AM
i was having the same problem too, i used "the right stuff" and it didnt work, so i ended up pulling it off again, the cork type gaskets suck ass, lordco dosent sell the good rubber ones, i had to goto wakefield sperlings in abby and paid 110 bucks for a fancy blue rubber one, and since i have put it on i havent had ANY problems, good thing to do while you have the cover off is check the rockers if there loose or anything,

frogger
09-14-2007, 09:53 AM
why dont you phone the dealer ,get a price...maybe you ll get a better quality gasket , original part probably better ,and if its rubber you dont need sealant and get your money back from the crappy one...

Fuzzydog
09-14-2007, 10:29 AM
Dealer tells me there is no valve cover gasket for my XJ and they just use RTV.
That blue one is probably silicone, eh? I would think that's the way to go and don't crank the bolts down too tight.

I did do mine up with a really thick bead of 'right stuff' sealant, let it set up and tightened down a bit more. it is staying good and dry now.