PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Tru Track

pumpkin
08-14-2007, 09:22 PM
Anyone know anything about detroit tru tracks?

barracuda
08-14-2007, 09:35 PM
They do work well for what it is but it doesnt lock up instantly like a locker . I had one in the front of one of my toyotas and found that it took a bit of getting used to but it did the job with driver input . Strength might be an issue with large tires and power

Big_Ern
08-14-2007, 10:20 PM
an expensive Limited SLip with Detroits name on it

FZJ80
08-14-2007, 10:44 PM
I believe it is a newer incarnation of the older Gleason Torsen.
They do work well but have issues in smaller versions like the Toyota and other "mini" trucks in that the worm gears had to be made to small to have any strength.
The mess of worm gears in the early Torsen units would fracture and fail if over stressed, to much power or larger tire sizes much over 31".

patford
08-14-2007, 11:23 PM
A friend said they work great in few rears he set up in hot rods , but did a
search on pirate 4x4 all the info I found said crap , went with a detroit
it works great for me .

Big_Ern
08-14-2007, 11:26 PM
ya, they would work great in a hot rod that only see's pavement with both tires always in traction. Not so much offroad.

A buddy has one in teh d44 in the front on his Zuk and it sucks if ya lift a tire. Holds, up better thn stock and has made his stock d44 shafts survive fodees for some time now. Once the chromo's go in, its time for a real locker.

exo_tpy on here also used to be running them F&R in his toy, but is taking them out right now to upgrade.

Always broke
08-15-2007, 05:36 PM
Not good for the street at all friend popped one in his Malibu snapped clean in half and sent it through the cover they bang when they engage only good with somthing with low power nothing with power or big tires :D

Tunabomber
08-15-2007, 06:31 PM
are thoes the ones ya gotta put some brake pressure on to make em work :dontknow:

Nutbar
08-15-2007, 07:07 PM
Not good for the street at all friend popped one in his Malibu snapped clean in half and sent it through the cover they bang when they engage only good with somthing with low power nothing with power or big tires :D

I don't think you are thinking of the right thing there Todd the True Trac has nothing in it to clunk they rely on friction and torque to make them work no gears to engage or disengage like a detroit locker or similar

A friend of my old man used to run one in the back of a CJ for 15 years that he raced on the wheel to wheel obstacle courses with a 425 hp 350 chev and 33 in tires never had any issues with it

As Ern said they are a fancy posi I wouldn't use one in a trail truck but I would use one in the frt of a daily driver/camping rig. I was gonna put one in the 44 for the frt of my Comanche when I do the 44 swap.

atoyot
08-15-2007, 07:22 PM
i have one in the front of my f150 ... i hate it .... i locked the rear and put the tru track in the front, its not wheelin friendly puts powewr side to side too much makin side hilling and steering on rocks a little less controlled... just my 2 cents
steers easier than having a locked front but i dont like the way it transfers traction wheel to wheel

pumpkin
08-15-2007, 08:31 PM
Well I got a tru track and a coo coo clock locker. I was contemplating puting them in my street Blazer with 33's. It should make it somewhat 4 byable. But I can't decide where to put them. I was thinking tru track in the rear?

Nutbar
08-15-2007, 08:44 PM
Bob, Bob, Bob, the gov lock c'mon now you're a Chevy guy you know those gov locks are only good for paper weights or scrap metal. Don't use the gov lock unless you want to have it explode and possibly ruin the rest of a diff.

If it was me I would use the True Trac in the frt and run a good auto locker - Detroit or Aussie - in the rear

pumpkin
08-15-2007, 09:31 PM
I know, I know, but,,,,,,,, this isn't a wheeling machine. If I was to spend any real money on it I would go same as the pumpin, detroit front and rear, 44 front, eaton ho72 rear. The body on this is too nice to actualy wheel it. And hell, its 10 bolt stuff, so if it blows up:dontknow: oh well[cheers]

Nutbar
08-15-2007, 09:37 PM
I know, I know, but,,,,,,,, this isn't a wheeling machine. If I was to spend any real money on it I would go same as the pumpin, detroit front and rear, 44 front, eaton ho72 rear. The body on this is too nice to actualy wheel it. And hell, its 10 bolt stuff, so if it blows up:dontknow: oh well[cheers]
Hey Bob I have to go and pick up an 88 Blazer from a buddy (traded it to me for some work) the truck will be a parts beast (got a VI on it and it is typically rotten body so will never pass) it has 10 bolts in it with a Detroit in the rear and a lock rite in the frt with 4.10s. Once I get it all good parts will be up for sale

FZJ80
08-15-2007, 10:03 PM
Put the Tru Trac in the rear and the GovLock in the trash, if it's mostly a street truck leave the front open.

Kinslayer
08-15-2007, 11:48 PM
are thoes the ones ya gotta put some brake pressure on to make em work :dontknow:

Those are the torsen lockers that require the brake pressure..if that's it, then that's it. That's what they have in H1s

barracuda
08-16-2007, 12:34 AM
basiclly what the military put in the humvees as they needed an idiot proof traction adding differential that would pass the 20,000 mile durability test, they had 2.7 dif and a 1.9 geared hubs (you decide if the geared hubs help put less stress on the diff)

pumpkin
08-17-2007, 01:56 PM
Hey Bob I have to go and pick up an 88 Blazer from a buddy (traded it to me for some work) the truck will be a parts beast (got a VI on it and it is typically rotten body so will never pass) it has 10 bolts in it with a Detroit in the rear and a lock rite in the frt with 4.10s. Once I get it all good parts will be up for sale

How much for the lockers? and will they work with 3.73's?

Nutbar
08-17-2007, 02:54 PM
Hey Bob

Don't know if they will work for 3.73s don't know off hand what the gear split is on the 10 bolts ( or if there is one )

I'll be willing to give ya a good deal on the complete diffs if ya want them but I have to make a trip to Sicamous to get the Blazer.

Apathy
08-23-2007, 03:33 PM
the lock right won't matter for the gear ratio. its lunch box locker isn't it?

Truckstuff
08-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Hey Bob.... I have a Factory Dana Pwr Loc for a Dana 44....3.73's