PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on SUV makes

jeepingpw
08-12-2007, 10:04 AM
Sold my full sized Bronco due to the 7.5mpg.
Was going to fix everything on my Crew Cab, but its a pain to drive around town & back up my boat.

So I'm looking at a smaller 4 door SUV.

Looking for opinions on reliabilty, gas milage, rust , 5 speed v/s auto, ect.

Not looking at Explorers as I know too many guys that had them & all the problems with them. And not 4Runners as I've had one & didn't like the poor gas milage, rust & cost of parts.

*EDIT* looking for something under $4,000.00

Nissan Pathfinder

Jeep Cherokee

Chev Blazer

Chev Tracker

Isuzu Trooper (newer style)

Land Rover (if I can find one cheap)

humptyjumped
08-12-2007, 11:37 AM
Jeep Liberty.

barracuda
08-12-2007, 12:14 PM
4 door tracker sounds like a really good platform

m j
08-12-2007, 02:38 PM
all of those vehicles are junk

toyon35s
08-12-2007, 03:48 PM
[stupid]i had a 2004 jimmy,and the 2002gmc z71 i drive now has way better gas milage and a hell of a lot more balls ,get a real truck[cheers]

jeepingpw
08-12-2007, 05:13 PM
screw it, going to buy an Expedition tomorrow

jakerngr
08-12-2007, 06:13 PM
all of those vehicles are junk
[stupid] JUNK

surreysinner
08-12-2007, 06:19 PM
[stupid] . . . . . .

epic3
08-13-2007, 12:15 AM
Sold my full sized Bronco due to the 7.5mpg.
Was going to fix everything on my Crew Cab, but its a pain to drive around town & back up my boat.

So I'm looking at a smaller 4 door SUV.

Looking for opinions on reliabilty, gas milage, rust , 5 speed v/s auto, ect.

Not looking at Explorers as I know too many guys that had them & all the problems with them. And not 4Runners as I've had one & didn't like the poor gas milage, rust & cost of parts.

*EDIT* looking for something under $4,000.00

Nissan Pathfinder

Jeep Cherokee

Chev Blazer

Chev Tracker

Isuzu Trooper (newer style)

Land Rover (if I can find one cheap)

7.5 mpg!!!! what was wrong with it?
mine gets over 25mpg :party0010:
and your complaining bout a toy with poor mileage I think its time ya learn a thing bout maintenance

jeepingpw
08-13-2007, 09:29 AM
Epic3 & others that responded with nothing.

All I was interested here was finding out from owners (current or past) of listed vehicles to submit their pros & cons such as gas milage, reliability, rust probles ect.

Leithmc
08-13-2007, 10:00 AM
Epic3 & others that responded with nothing.

All I was interested here was finding out from owners (current or past) of listed vehicles to submit their pros & cons such as gas milage, reliability, rust probles ect.

Don't matter now as I've found a tow rig & will just wheel my GPW instead.

I'd say Jeep cherokee. mid to late 90's. Not too bad on fuel, plenty of power to tow a boat and turn on a dime for the tight spots.

Leith

Leithmc
08-13-2007, 10:00 AM
Whoops looks like I was too late.

barracuda
08-13-2007, 10:51 AM
I have the older style isuzu , I love the vehicle dimensions and comfort but it is not as common as other vehicles for parts and & market goodies and the motor is not the gutsiest and the fuel consumption is worse then my f250. I gather the newer ones are a big improvment .

we also have an 89 tracker very simple to work on cheap for parts, full frame and very cheap on fuel. The early ones seem to have some body rust issues. we would like to upgrade to a 4 door as size is a little cramped.

jeepingpw
08-13-2007, 10:57 AM
Well not too late, deal fell through on the Expedition. Guy bumped his price up as soon as I said I'd buy it.

I had a '85 Cherokee with a 4 banger a few years ago, was good in the bush but under powered on the Hwy. Also it was carbed & I had nothing but problems.

Been looking at other sites & found alot of Pathfinders with rusted out frames.

Going to go look at a '91 Cherokee with 4.0L & 5 speed.
Would prefer an auto (hard to shift with [31] ), but I've found that most makes of autos don't stand up well, just had to put one in our van at 113,000 kms.

Anyone have one (cherokee)similar & know their MPG any problems that are common with them?

My dad has a '02 4 door Tracker with auto & his Dodge diesel dually crew cab 4x4 gets better milage.

barracuda
08-13-2007, 11:06 AM
We only have a 1.6lt 8 valve in the tracker not sure what the later ones have for an engine

A6D9
08-13-2007, 12:14 PM
I duno you sound like a real winner.

First you obviously donít know how to maintain anything with a motor in it. After all you said your current ones has 7MPG.

Then one someone nicely pointed it out for you, you came back with a tude.

And then you have a comment like

Would prefer an auto (hard to shift with [31] ),

I know allot of people on this site liek to have a few and drive. And that is fine. but a few and not beign able to drive a standard. big diff there.

and most who do splurge and drive are wise enought to stay off the roads so as to only endanger themselves not the public.

As far as I'm concerned you want advice...do a damn search and quit your bitching.

jeepingpw
08-13-2007, 04:12 PM
A6D9, whats a tude???? Sorry you seem to think I'm bitching, at what, I don't know.
As for the [31] , you think maybe it was for humour????
*edit* I drive a 18 speed semi 10 -12 hours a day, the last thing I want to do on my way home or day off is shift gears.

It would be nice if only those that have had or still have any of these SUV's to respond with their veiws on likes & dislikes.

If you don't have any other coment other than "They're all junk" why respond?

Please if you don't have anything constructive , don't respond

Now back to what I'm trying to find info on...

Looking at a '91 Cherokee with a 5 speed (ya its a 5 speed, but it's a good deal). Anyone out there that has one or had one that would like to comment on any problems they had?
Actual milage they got?

arjan
08-13-2007, 07:42 PM
My vote still goes to the 4Runner. Generally you don't need all that many parts, and gas milage is not bad unless something is buggered (o2 sensor, mass airflow sensor)

jakerngr
08-13-2007, 08:48 PM
8000 and i'll sell you my 96 awd 5.0 xlt explorer 182,000 k fully loaded without leather or sunroof

Kinslayer
08-13-2007, 09:29 PM
I've had a Commanche (basically a cherokee besides the pickup truck box) and it was pretty good for wheeling and not TOO bad for milage. If you get one that has the HO motor (chrysler designed fuel injection system) you get a bit more power with the same milage. Big problem with them is rust though - they are unibody so you have to check them out pretty well to find one that isn't too rusty...But there are lots so just keep looking.

shawn_ruley
08-13-2007, 10:12 PM
land cruisers are pretty nice too

but you can never go wrong with a 4 runner, just as long as its a 22RE.

Kinslayer
08-13-2007, 10:42 PM
Diesel FJ60! Do it Do it.

FZJ80
08-13-2007, 11:00 PM
If i had to pick from your list i'd go with the Cherokee, A Landcruiser is what i'd look for but go with the diesel Bj60 over the gas FJ60 about 28MPG in a full size truck is hard to beat.

Kinslayer
08-13-2007, 11:08 PM
A little out of your price range..but...
http://vancouver.craigslist.org/car/391096427.html

Maelthra
08-13-2007, 11:37 PM
My mom loves her '00 Durango. I think the 5.2 magnum and autotragic are gutless though.

shawn_ruley
08-14-2007, 12:03 AM
if you are gonna get a durango...whay not get a 4 runner instead?:dontknow:

epic3
08-14-2007, 12:57 AM
It would be nice if only those that have had or still have any of these SUV's to respond with their veiws on likes & dislikes.

If you don't have any other coment other than "They're all junk" why respond?

Please if you don't have anything constructive , don't respond

Now back to what I'm trying to find info on...

Looking at a '91 Cherokee with a 5 speed (ya its a 5 speed, but it's a good deal). Anyone out there that has one or had one that would like to comment on any problems they had?
Actual milage they got?

I still have my bronco hence my input and I've owned a 91 cherokee and would never do it again decent power but they drive funny not very stable kinda tippy feeling no room for your shoulders when ya got a fat bud next to ya terrible reliability and real shitty fuel mileage
and dont worry I wasnt offended
I would recommend another good running bronco with a 302 or 351 in it and an od auto get a hd trans cooler on it and open up the exhaust a little[cheers]

England
08-14-2007, 01:33 PM
I like chicken

Jeepnut
08-14-2007, 01:36 PM
Iam a chicken

:D

Tunabomber
08-14-2007, 01:55 PM
I like chicken

freak [freak]

Mazdarx
08-14-2007, 04:32 PM
I had a 1988 Nissan Pathfinder, it was a nice vehicle, it had pretty good mileage, but the back end of the frame was rusty like most of them are. As for the Cherokee, i have one of those now, which is for sale currently, it has 380,000kms on it with an automatic, and it hasnt been rebuilt, and it has no problems. the automatic Chrysler used in them is very strong. Also, if you get a 5-speed it will limit your towing capacity to around 2000 pounds, i'm not sure what you will be towing, but hopefully not something too big. I've pulled a 3500pound boat with mine and it did it very nicely. the towing capacity on the automatic Cherokees is 4000 or 4500lbs, i forget exactly.

jeepingpw
08-14-2007, 09:08 PM
Epic3, Ya I had an old Bronco. "81 with a '69 Mustage 289 on propane that got great mileage. But it had no bottom end. I took the Dist. out & took it to a Kelowna propane shop (which I won't flame but should) & they tested the dist. They said nothin wrong, so I thought the engine was shot. Sold it cheap to Mike at RPM & he gave it to his mech. as a bonus because he knew I spent a $$$ on it & would sell it cheap. Turned out the Dist. was seized, he put in a used one & has been driving it for 5 years now, FUCK
Thanks everybody for your good input.
I have been looking at a few on my list today. A '90 Pathfinder that had a ton of rust, all in the spots everyone that has one has said they rust. A couple of Cherokees with high mileage & rust.
I have come to terms that I'll just fix up my F350 crew cab 4x4 as it will haul all my kids & camper, tow my boat & with the 460 on propane is cheap to drive. I will sell my mini van & get the wife an Expedition to haul everybody & tow the boat with about the same mileage. I am at an age that I don't go boggin at Postill, & can't go ape shit in the Greystokes anymore.
So I just need something to cruise the FSR's hunting & if it gets bad, I can unload my quads & go. I still have my GPW that wheels good if I want to.

Would still like to build another '80's Bronco, but family comes first for now.

Thanks again, thread closed.

jakerngr
08-14-2007, 10:03 PM
how do you close a thread??

jeepingpw
08-15-2007, 07:49 PM
I don't know if you can????

Will still look for a cheap Cherokee or Bronco to build later, but with only 2 weeks till hunting season I need to have a good veh ready so it'll be get my CC for this year.

Leithmc
08-16-2007, 07:04 AM
I don't know if you can????

Will still look for a cheap Cherokee or Bronco to build later, but with only 2 weeks till hunting season I need to have a good veh ready so it'll be get my CC for this year.

There's a guy at the Kal tire in the sears mall who's looking to get rid of one. Apparently it runs and looks decent. $300.00 from what I understand. Might be a little far for you to drive though. His name's Mikey(ya I know, let's get Mikey he'll eat anything) 604-824-2859.

Leith

jeepingpw
08-16-2007, 09:07 PM
Ya, Chili is too far.

Just looked at a Bronco in Rutland for $2500, good from far but far from good.

Front rotors were shot, engine oil pan & transmission oil pan smashed in, drivers door P/W, P/L buttons gone, both rear axle seals shot & leaking. The rest is '80's shape.

Also looked at a 2000 Expedition for $15K, muffler rusted out & leaking. Needed wheel alignment, front tires outer skrubbed off plus they were winter radials & rear diff spewing oil..

Taxidermy
08-16-2007, 11:29 PM
84 nissan pathfinder :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: [f]