PDA

View Full Version : van isle thread

lizard
08-07-2007, 08:10 PM
stupid site , uploaded all my shit then it had a poop and F'd it all up :mad:

So I'll do it in sections now

Anyways ..........great trip , cougers,bears,deer,greywhales, killer whales ,seals,sea otters, eagles ,big F'n halibut and full moons(not counting the ones we showed the tourist heli that passed by . :eek:
Not to many mech problems & a little car sick wee guys . weather was good for the most part . Coastguard even payed us a visit but we wont mention that will we kev..........
I have 5 gigs of pics, I'll post some as I sort threw them .

lizard
08-07-2007, 08:12 PM
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggh

heading up

lizard
08-07-2007, 08:15 PM
camping area

lincoln locked
08-07-2007, 08:18 PM
a little wet but looks like a good time great pics [36]

Murd0c
08-07-2007, 08:22 PM
a good start can't wait to see the rest

89yj
08-07-2007, 08:30 PM
Looks like a fun trip. Where is that? Looks pretty quiet.

Tunabomber
08-07-2007, 08:46 PM
cool man

post more [f]...................:D

lizard
08-07-2007, 09:27 PM
weather was clearing up , kids hit the waves again, little green guy came by my tent for a visit

4Lo
08-07-2007, 09:35 PM
So what"s going on with the 4 runner and the trailer in the mud?? Did he git stuck??

Evan the Blue
08-07-2007, 09:51 PM
Great Pics Liz .... as allways
Thanks man now I'm even more homesick [cheers]

Big_Ern
08-07-2007, 10:12 PM
about time one of you fockers posted some pics of that trip.[f]

awesome photos as alway liz:cool:

HEAVY METAL
08-07-2007, 10:20 PM
awesome pics ;liz... thanks... cant wait too see more..

Troy
08-07-2007, 10:24 PM
you got a nice camera

place looks nice...almost tropical looking

Redneck Lincoln
08-07-2007, 11:10 PM
nice pics[cheers]

dustoff
08-08-2007, 12:55 AM
place looks nice...almost tropical looking

Place was in the tropics [Shhh]

All the kids

numbernine
08-08-2007, 01:42 AM
the one of Dylan biting it is a classic!

numbernine
08-08-2007, 01:46 AM
enroute

Honky help

first day and a half it rained- didn't stop the kids.

Builder Man

the sun comes out (great from here on in)

limpet

cod

....more to come

numbernine
08-08-2007, 02:34 AM
half log, half sand

tarp goes on

kelp overflow drain

making a longer drain

the fill

roob looks relaxed despite a bazillion kids

then some weird frogman scares everyone away

grownup time

.... many more to come

Runnah
08-08-2007, 02:52 AM
That place looks sweet, nice pics as well. Thanks

bakelite
08-08-2007, 08:12 AM
Awesome, thanks for sharing the pics [36] [36] [36] [cheers]

Murd0c
08-08-2007, 08:55 AM
now thats a hot tub [36][36][36][36][36]

NickB
08-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Awesome pics, Liz

Dirty Girls
08-08-2007, 10:13 AM
Good idea, nice hot tub. [15]

lizard
08-08-2007, 10:50 AM
full moon just about everynight was cool , and there were alot of interesting rock pools & formations

numbernine
08-08-2007, 11:59 AM
wow, the fire and the tent and the stars.... fantastic

numbernine
08-08-2007, 12:13 PM
fish stories

TP conservation

Dave's had a few (ownage opportunity tragically missed)

One of Diz's many pass-outs (can't believe Rueben would do that to her!)

Chef w/ crab

Beer Can Bruce is obviously a Top

I can't believe kids would do this to her:-)

There were many props for the easy-up

AND, I leave you with this gem:

England
08-08-2007, 01:59 PM
Those pics are freaking GREAT !!!!

lizard
08-08-2007, 02:23 PM
AHAHHAHAHHAHAHAH ..............can we go back now??

no pics of the heli-moon?

redman
08-08-2007, 03:29 PM
we should go back fuk those were some really great times. I had so much fun, fuk I was crying laughing so hard with the TP joke

jeeper
08-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Wow -Some incredible shots James and Steph !

The lightin under the easy up is great !

We could almost do a thread just devoted to the food we conmsumed in mass quantities :)

gavman
08-08-2007, 05:48 PM
looks like your circumcision went a little too far Bruce, Even freaked James out:D

jeeper
08-08-2007, 05:50 PM
looks like your circumcision went a little too far Bruce, Even freaked James out:D

Nah -he was just upset that Rueben got in first !

redman
08-08-2007, 05:54 PM
Nah -he was just upset that Rueben got in first !

Bruce you meat was very rare and tender [36] [36] :confused0006: that sounds terrible

Big_Ern
08-08-2007, 06:33 PM
great pics & story #9

Awesome night shot of the camp & fire Liz:cool:[36]

We could almost do a thread just devoted to the food we conmsumed in mass quantities :)

do eet[36] Looks like you guys ate great as usual[36]

Mudgirl
08-08-2007, 07:02 PM
incredible pictures !!!!!
looks like you guys had an awesome trip
also looks like dem winter storms changed the landscape a bit - how did the exploring go - did ya find anything interesting

jeeper
08-08-2007, 07:05 PM
also looks like dem winter storms changed the landscape a bit

The beach lost a lot of its sand due to the winter storms -But each day there it was bein brought back in a bit at a time ! Im sure had we been there a few more days it would have had the same sandy beach that we had last year !

A few went explorin -on quads and bikes -ille let them tell you about it by pic and story etc !

We met a great bunch of the locals -and had a great time with them !

Dirtybert
08-08-2007, 07:08 PM
Wow some of them pics are just awesome, looks like another great trip to the Island

spanky
08-08-2007, 07:52 PM
nice pics looks like you all had fun

gavman
08-08-2007, 07:56 PM
A little rocking Honky, Almost tipped ii[36]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlLMuRd9EHU

redman
08-08-2007, 08:12 PM

great clip [cheers]

HEAVY METAL
08-08-2007, 08:16 PM
whoa.. crazy driver guy....

Big_Ern
08-08-2007, 08:27 PM

wouldn't be a trip with honky if he didn't roll the trailer[f]

Legend
08-08-2007, 09:42 PM
awsome pictures, i cant beleive the quality of the pictures your camera takes, its almost too sharp for the human eye.

Looks like you guys had a blast

dustoff
08-08-2007, 11:02 PM
It was an excellent time to be apart of this trip. Lots of fun with some excellent folks.

Here's a few more of my pictures.

Me

One of our smaller fires, Canadian Coast guard in background looking to rescue James.

Deep Throat, numbernine, my wife.

Ivy enjoying driving the quad for the first time.

Fish Stories, James taking Ivy on her first fishing trip ever. She catch the biggest cod of the day, deep throat says of the the whole trip. Ivy and James claim Ivy catch a Halibut larger than half the boat before letting it go back to the wild. Fish Stories.

Proud Papa, nuf said.

Oh, to be in love.

Sea Creature.

Taxidermy
08-08-2007, 11:20 PM
nice pics [36] [36] [36] [36] [36]

Always broke
08-08-2007, 11:43 PM
Sweet pic's guys too bad we had to bail on you but the baby is more important :)

gordwould
08-09-2007, 12:00 AM
those are some awsome pics aswell as a sweet trip[cheers]

Tunabomber
08-09-2007, 12:26 AM
wow sooo many good shots [36][36][36][36]

redman
08-09-2007, 10:21 AM
Was really a great trip, so cool to have my dad along this year, he had a blast. I will up load a part of his journal that he wanted me to share with you all. [36] [36] [cheers]

FKN MRK
08-09-2007, 10:33 AM
[ibacon]

numbernine
08-09-2007, 12:09 PM
Is this getting too much?.... I'll just keep going unless someone stops me:-)

great tidepools

caves

fossils by the river!

full moon almost every night... which was awesome, even if we couldn't see many stars

Betty Boop, my filleting and squealling buddy

Out fishing- or maybe this was the First Lizard Rescue Mission (after we got the boat going)?

On that trip, we saw these (crappy photo alert)!

On the second fishing tour, we got sidetracked by grey whales! A shame I was too awestruck to get a photo when they were breaching. (note to Santa: numbernine wants long lens for xmas)

Then the view was distracting...

James impressed the hell out of the kids with a dogfish

I suppose where there's mud sharks and sea lions, there may be fewer salmon. Ling cod are TASTY.

Secong Lizard (and Ivy) Rescue Mission- really, James just wanted to be rescued from "My Paddle's Keen and Bright". Kevin is enjoying the whole thing immensely.

Telling the Amazing Halibut Story

Truckstuff
08-09-2007, 01:19 PM
Excellent.... The New camera works great. [cheers]

redman
08-09-2007, 02:15 PM
keep em coming, I think it would be great if we could get together and burn them all to DVD. [5]

lizard
08-09-2007, 04:36 PM
thats the plan , everyone make a cd then burn them all to one dvd

dustoff
08-09-2007, 05:00 PM
Hey Rueben, it was great having your old man with else, looked like he enjoyed himself.

redman
08-09-2007, 05:12 PM
Hey Rueben, it was great having your old man with else, looked like he enjoyed himself.

I think he had a great time. Below are the notes for his journal on his website for his journey that he asked me to pass on to all. Here is the link to what he calls his blant part blog part rant .http://www.givemeaning.com/podcasts/gm_podcast.xml (http://www.givemeaning.com/podcasts/gm_podcast.xml)

I have just returned from nine days of camping in the wilderness with my son and nine other adults and 12 kids ranging in age from 5 to 15. Although it was not part of my training for the upcoming bike ride, in fact it was quite the opposite in terms of the physical regimen which consisted mostly of eating and partying, the experience of being in a very unusual setting caused me reflect on my journey and on the meaning of the organization that is supporting my fundraising effort…give meaning.com.

We were camped on a spectacular, picture perfect, crescent shaped bay on the Pacific Ocean, which would make any tropical paradise travel brochure proud: a shallow sandy beach, surrounded by a ring of tall trees and mountains in the distance, with a clear view of Asia on the horizon, and no sign of “civilization” anywhere. In fact, I have been sworn to keep secret this unique location and all I can say is that it is 82 kms by logging roads, many not marked on the latest maps that come with a GPS, requiring a 4 wheel drive vehicle from the nearest settlement of Port Alice, population 1000 during boom times, 300 when the pulp mill is shut down, and that it is on the northern most portion of Vancouver Island, about 500kms north of Victoria. (Not that it needed confirmation, the uniqueness of the spot was confirmed by a couple of locals, who camped near by who claimed that there was no more beautiful spot on the island).

We rendezvoused at the ferry terminal at 6:30 am, on the island by 8 a.m and begin the near 500km ride which takes about 11 hours, due partly to the caravan of seven trucks and the participants’ needs to pick up last minute items, which subsequently prove to be redundant, to find snacks for the road, breaks for bodily functions, to fill 8 20 liter cans with fuel, fishing licenses etc. So by the time we arrive on a drizzly overcast evening, the team is ready to ford the stream with 45 degree gravel sloped embankment that separates us from our site. Reuben, my son and I, after some determined destruction of the slope make it over. The others, especially the ones pulling trailers get stuck. The first major lesson I learn is that size matters: horsepower under the hood, feet between the axels and inches off the ground.

Eventually as we all make it across; the kids, all experienced campers spring into action. Despite the cool temperatures, the younger ones are frolicking in the ocean, a couple with wet suits, the others wearing nothing but their T shirts and swim suits. In contrast, I keep adding layers on and am still feeling progressively colder. The teenagers are setting up their own tents, as well as their parents. The adults are erecting the communal tents and a series of pop-ups which will be covered by a 30’ x40’ tarp to hold about 25 coolers, two three-burner propane stoves, the generator to power the icemaker, the freezer, the blender, the waffle maker, the coffee maker and grinder and of course all of the necessary kitchen paraphernalia and not to be forgotten, the old kitchen sink. Then there is the auxiliary equipment several sets of chainsaws, most people carry two, one to cut the endless supply of mostly cedar logs that covers the beach, and the other, the spare to cut a respectable swath through the Amazon; two boats with motors that will yield plentiful fish; two quads, 4 wheel all terrain vehicles that will transport the logs and people so they should not have to walk to the gigantic hot-tub that is built at the adjoining beach, or gathering ice-cold water from the stream we had such difficulty crossing at speeds approaching 85 km/hour.

The children fascinate me. They play practically unsupervised although cautioned to stay in sight due to bears that were seen on the periphery and the cougar tracks that are evident in the morning as the tide creates a smooth pavement. Not once did I hear the “I am bored mommy”. They have to be coaxed out of the water when they are turning blue; they make sand castles using the adult shovels, and try the perennial challenge of creating lakes and damns against all odds. They find meaning in rocks with holes in them, others that are heart shaped, and the endless supply of shells to feed their imagination. They help gather wood for the fire and can hardly wait to roast their own marshmallows. There are no toys, (so as not to compete with the adults that have their own?), no TVs, no video games, no structured activities and yet they are absorbed by what’s around them; they find meaning in the wonders of nature, a stark contrast not only to kids in an urban setting but us adults who are constantly looking for, searching for meaning. The joy of the kids permeates everything for me, they give me meaning and soon I too hunt for rocks (one adult is so impressed with my collection, that I cannot take with me on the bike ride, that she offers to mail them to me). By the third morning, no longer able to distance myself from the odors that follow me, like the kids I bathe in the ocean.

Identifying with the adults is more of a challenge. There are the long nights of beer consumption sitting by the gigantic bond fire telling of tales, no doubt like our primitive ancestors told of wars, famines and conquests. Thankfully, unlike the urbane parties I am more used to, its not about the latest real estate transaction, planned renovations, killings in the stock market etc. The focus is on gear directly or indirectly related to being in nature year around and the challenges that go with them Alas, my camping trips on the bike, a 5lb tent, a near weightless one burner stove and one tiny pot in which I make mud coffee in the morning, followed by slowly cooked porridge, then pasta in the evening, just do not compare.

Over time I earned a few stripes. I disabused my son’s contemporaries of being called “sir” with the politically incorrect joke about “what to call a six foot four Blackman with a knife in a dark alley”. I also pulled by weight; being the first one up and cleaning up all the 16 oz cups for mixed drinks (hence the ice maker and blender), the empty beer cans and bottles etc. I developed my own theories of how the party the night before went: lots of half-full cans left and munchies all over the kitchen was a sign of success as was the height of the fire etc. I carried the wood for the fire, rather than load the wagons not only to enhance the macho image but to get much needed exercise etc.

Clearly my schedule was out of sync. I was up with the rising sun and had the entire beach to myself for two or three hours each day. I made coffee using the grinder and the percolator if the generator was still running; if out of gas I go back to the basics of using two stones to produce the fine grind and a trusty old pot coffee that would make any middle-eastern café proud.

For exercise I developed my routine of walking with rocks with progressively heavier ones which were plentiful enroute, without the drill-sergeant of an instructor to tell me what to do. I would have my first meal by foraging through the huge box of near instant oatmeal that came in all the exotic flavours of cinnamon, apple, maple sugar etc I settle on “regular” which given the never ending stream of meats, failed to keep me so.

By being early I managed to consume an extra meal which will no doubt fuel me for many days ahead. The person in charge Bruce, with my son’s assistance produced a seamless series of excellent meals. They catered nearly all day breakfast with French toast, omelets, waffles, bacon etc. Fresh cod, served within an hour of being cod as fish and chips, or grilled etc. There was usually three or more chickens roasted, steamed (beer can) pyrogies, ribs and for an 11 pm snack for the hungry masses a 10lb boneless prime rib cut into 1” steaks etc. Then there was the gift from two local teenage boys, we did a small favor of storing their gear for a couple day while they went back to their nearby village. They came back with a cooler containing 25 huge crabs and about 250 large prawns, which they caught the day before in their own harbour. I have never tasted shrimp so fresh and good. The wanted to give meaning and they succeeded beyond expectations.

Bruce with a pot belly, days of stubble and smiling eyes would not only be constantly cooking but he would use every power of persuasion for us to consume. He reminded me of a classic greasy Greek restaurant of some 40,000 meals ago. I was on Dundas Street, near the downtown area of Toronto. The seating was in the front and the patrons went to the back where there were a half a dozen ovens and perhaps a dozen huge pots and the owner recited his offerings and with a wide grin and a twinkle in his eyes insisted on filling everyone’s plate until they protested “enough”. In my mind he gave meaning to serving his customers.

In contrast, so many restaurants today permeate with the smell of get money. The designer décor, that changes every year or so, and the menus that so poetically describe each dish’s ingredients as having reduced, organic, balsamic, raspberry, fusion, pine nuts etc. The food is served on platter sized plates carried by weight lifters, handsomely decorated, the miniscule quantity of food cleverly displayed like anorexic acrobats doing a group routine, while the patron searches in vain for the meaningless mélange of descriptors in an attempt to answer the question “where is the beef?”

As evident from the above rant, my long walks allowed my mind to wander. Perhaps there is a market for walking rocks ala the pet rock craze of a few years ago? There would be of course markets for designer decorated rocks, cheap Chinese ones, Gucci carrying cases etc. Then there would be the reaction from the environmentalists, or the professional politically correctness police who would claim that we are upsetting the natural order of our planet and if the rock removal continued unabated it would accelerate the rotation of the earth and the resultant climate change would destroy human habitation in 34 years, 23 hours and eighteen minutes. As a result I am not going into the walking rock business despite its billion buck potential.

I am however determined to speak out to the endless political correctness which paralyzes action or creates needless roadblocks. A US university campus is seriously considering eliminating male and female bathrooms, or should I say restrooms so as not to offend transsexuals, who currently have to declare a preference. What is wrong with the unisex handicapped ones?

On a personal front I am still steaming about my community center where I go to exercise in the mornings. They have a tradition of individual hosting a breakfasts to celebrate personal/life-cycle events. I offered to host one to celebrate my return to be told that some would take offence that my event is a fundraiser and are refusing me the opportunity to share my efforts. My arguments that there is no obligation to contribute, people can chose not to come if they are offended by the knowledge that I am fundraising, that I am not selling Avon products for my personal gain etc. to no avail. Political correctness prevails. For Now. (those who agree with me, and know the person involved, here is your opportunity to speak up).

Endings are always hard: whether leaving a bit of paradise or describing it.

I wish you all find meaning on your journeys.

andrew

gavman
08-09-2007, 05:31 PM
That's excellent Ruben, Thanks for sharing and send regards to your dad from me and my family[cheers]

brandonf250
08-09-2007, 05:43 PM
nice pics

dustoff
08-09-2007, 06:00 PM
Well said Andrew.

Dirtybert
08-09-2007, 06:11 PM
at first I just skimmed your dads journal entry. But found it so well written I had to go back and read it from the beginning. And this statement is so true,
"Bruce with a pot belly, days of stubble and smiling eyes would not only be constantly cooking but he would use every power of persuasion for us to consume." Thats Bruce to a T!!

lizard
08-09-2007, 06:21 PM
yah , PC stuff drives me nuts too

jeeper
08-09-2007, 06:27 PM
Well spoken and heartfelt !

A very nice read !

Landlover
08-09-2007, 08:19 PM
I think that spot is the N side of Vancouver Island.. I may be wrong but I'm 80% sure that's where they were.

Truckstuff
08-09-2007, 08:29 PM
Hey Rueben, it was great having your old man with us, looked like he enjoyed himself.

[iagree] Thanks for sharing his journal

Dirtybert
08-09-2007, 08:42 PM
I think that spot is on the N side of Vancouver Island. I may be wrong but I'm 80% sure that's where they were.

I think their trying to keep the location quite so its not known by everyone.

redman
08-09-2007, 08:44 PM
yeah hes a good writer, you can check his link he will keep it updated now for his bike trip

gavman
08-09-2007, 09:02 PM
I think their trying to keep the location quite so its not known by everyone.

Good job he is off by about 200 clicks[cheers]

Jeepnut
08-13-2007, 02:45 PM
Wow...awesome pics looks like a blast
[36]

nykoma
08-13-2007, 09:04 PM
wow great pictures on this thread[cheers]

kootenaycat
08-13-2007, 11:00 PM
Wow! Amazing photos and stories. Especially enjoyed Redmans Dad's story, long but very worth while reading, tells the story behind the incredible pics. [cheers]