PDA

View Full Version : 1998 Chev 4x4 broken front shock mount

godtool
08-03-2007, 10:18 PM
A friend of mine has a 1998 Chev 1500 4x4 with front independent suspension. It is still stock:( .

The front shock mount on the bottom A arm is broken. I figure I could weld the sides of shock mount back onto the A arm surface with 7018 rod, OR grind off the old remains of the shock mount, and make a new shock mount by drilling a couple holes in the A arm, and then bolting on the new shock mount with 2, 1/2"(3/8's?) grade 8 bolts, or 4, 5/16" grade 8 bolts. My other suggestion to my friend was find another A arm at the auto wreckers which would be a lot more work but possibly safer. My friend needs to get back to work Tuesday so I figured a quick fix by welding or fabricating a new bottom shock mount is the only thing I could do before he goes back to work. I was also told that for some years of trucks the bottom shock mount bolts onto the A arm but I did not see any bolts. Anyone have any suggestions??

godtool
08-05-2007, 10:35 PM
Replace A arm or you weaken it by welding or drilling... I been told.

nbrowser
08-05-2007, 10:39 PM
Yeah, your gonna want to scour the wreckers or order up a new arm from the dealer, repairing an a-arm is like playing russian roulette with a revolver with one empty hole.....not good, never ever wanna weld or heat up an a-arm, trust me I know, I"m a mechanic.......bad idea.....