PDA

View Full Version : hydro assist steering questions

Troy
08-03-2007, 12:47 PM
im doing hydro assist on my truck.

the steering box is stock off my 79 f250
im going to tear it down, drill and tap for the hose fittings

i want to use a princess auto ram because they are cheap and its local
the problem is the smallest tie rod cylinder they carry has a 2'' bore and 6'' stroke. Now correct me if im wrong but the smaller the cylinder, the less flow it takes to move the ram, so its faster. bigger the cylinder on the same system will take longer to turn but about the same pushing power?

is a 2'' bore cylinder too big or should i get something smaller like a 1'' or 1.5'' bore?

also i dont want a cylinder that has more stroke than i need because it will push farther than my steering stops and potentially break a knuckle or tie rod. whats a good stroke length? i was thinking 6 inches is enough. keep in mind the truck is going to have highsteer.

brothergrimms
08-03-2007, 03:47 PM
i'm usin 1.5 bore 8in storke its about 106.00 at princess auto no problems i'm gald i put it in works great when you have a locker in frt and a spool in back with 42s i like it so much i'm puttin in a full hdyro in my other rig.....

B
08-03-2007, 04:15 PM
2" will be a bit slower but more powerful and 6" is what we found works perfect w our high steer setups...

Big_Ern
08-03-2007, 06:15 PM
PA carries 6x1.5" rams, maybe the store you checked was just out of stock, so have them look it up and order one in for ya. But they come on sale pretty often for $99, regular price is $160 or so.

Big_Ern
08-03-2007, 06:17 PM
FOr strock length, measure your tierod from full turn to full turn to see what its stroke is. Then get a ram to match. My toy happened to be exactly 6" so it was easy to find a ram and I didn't have to open it up to limit it. Most fullsizes that I have heard of use an 8" ram and have to limit the stroke a bit.

Troy
08-04-2007, 12:48 AM
ya i dont have the stock tie rod but it seems like a 6 inch stroke should work good. truck has detroit front,welded rear,44's

i will look for a 1.5'' bore and if i cant get it then ill get the 2'' bore and ill get the sale price

also should i buy a power steering cooler?

a cheap one like this
http://www.pscmotorsports.com/product_info.php?cPath=196&products_id=656

or a better one like this?
http://www.pscmotorsports.com/product_info.php?cPath=196&products_id=638

what do u guys run

B
08-04-2007, 11:50 AM
ive got the lund 28000 btu cooler for the poer steering system get the good one

Troy
08-04-2007, 06:53 PM
i got a 2" bore 6" stroke Shur-lift cylinder from p auto on sale. got the lines made with fittings crimped on. the 90 degree fittings u see in the pic 2 go in the cylinder 2 go in the steering box, this way if a line gets damaged i wont have to get new 90 degree joints crimped on the line, just regular JIC ones..

total cost $206 all said and done

still need to buy a tap and thread my box.

Big_Ern
08-05-2007, 12:18 AM

also should i buy a power steering cooler?

a cheap one like this
http://www.pscmotorsports.com/product_info.php?cPath=196&products_id=656

or a better one like this?
http://www.pscmotorsports.com/product_info.php?cPath=196&products_id=638

what do u guys run

Yes, you need to run a steering cooler. Easy to put in on the low pressure return line back to the resivour.

the one I'm running on my toy is about 4" tall and 6-8 wide. Probably only nd inch or maybe less thick, so easy to mount anywhere.

Ginger Snaps
08-05-2007, 12:22 AM
haha it took something thinken but i think we figured how to do it:confused0006: well you did all the wrenching i supervised:party0010:

Troy
08-05-2007, 12:34 AM
i got my steering box all torn down and i might as well get a rebuild kit

so does anyone know where i can buy a rebuild kit for the steering box off a 79 f250?

Ginger Snaps
08-05-2007, 12:36 AM
try hydra steer in pk forgot to tell you about them or cancraft

Troy
08-05-2007, 12:42 AM
thanks matt

ern where did u get ur power steering cooler

Big_Ern
08-05-2007, 12:52 AM
no idea the p/o got it and installed even without hydro:dontknow:

It looks like something you would find at the junk yard as an oil or tranny cooler for a small car. Stock looking, not aftermarket.

The rad I have has an auto tranny cooler built into the bottom couple inches, but I was told not to change over to this as it will only heat up the ps fluid due to the hot rad fluid its next to.

The seperate auto tranny coolers from lots of cars (or trucks) work great for this. And are cheap or free if a buddy is parting out a pos with one

Troy
08-05-2007, 12:56 AM
ya i was thinking a tranny cooler would work too...

but thats after i rebuild the box

thanks everyone!