PDA

View Full Version : Grooving Tires???

broken_down
08-03-2007, 09:49 AM
How is it done. I have a set of 31" mudders that are getting worn out. Is there a certain way of grooving the tread?

Kinslayer
08-03-2007, 10:32 AM
With a tire groover, basically a soldering iron with a blade end..

Some people do it with circular saws - set the depth and giver, but as you can imagine it makes a mess and isn't too precise - you are making your own tread pattern pretty much at that point.

As far as i know tire shops will do it for ya. I know Tires Plus in mission will for like 20 bucks a tire.

Leithmc
08-03-2007, 02:57 PM
I have a groover. I live a long way from you though. Unless you have some sort of Interco product or something like that you probably won't have enough tread underlay to groove it without hitting the steel belts anyway.

broken_down
08-03-2007, 03:12 PM
the tires are just worn out in the middle, and the side biters still have a ton of meat on them....

Big_Ern
08-03-2007, 05:17 PM
I have a groover. I live a long way from you though. Unless you have some sort of Interco product or something like that you probably won't have enough tread underlay to groove it without hitting the steel belts anyway.

[stupid]

I wouldn't grove a standard radial. Only thick tires like interco various ones or similar.

a buddy of mine contacted interco and got the list of how thick the casing on every tire they made is. Some are over 1/2" so have lots to groove, others are quite thin and you'll cut the cords quickly if you're not carefull.

broken_down
08-03-2007, 06:37 PM
Mickey thompson's wouldn't be that thick than???

Kinslayer
08-03-2007, 07:14 PM
[stupid]

I wouldn't grove a standard radial. Only thick tires like interco various ones or similar.

a buddy of mine contacted interco and got the list of how thick the casing on every tire they made is. Some are over 1/2" so have lots to groove, others are quite thin and you'll cut the cords quickly if you're not carefull.

Lets get the list!

Big_Ern
08-03-2007, 07:49 PM
email interco yourself[f]

I don't have it from him either. He just told me a few off the top of his head when we were gooving an old worn set of TSLs

godtool
08-03-2007, 09:24 PM
Liethmc grooved my 38.5 super swampers tsl's.. they are the bias ply type.. non radials. each done about 1/4" deep. $30 each. They look awesome!!

Just phone around to the tire shops until you get a hold of someone that has a groover.

Other way of doing it is with a small hole saw but thats if you want to scoop out alot of rubber.

nonhighwayservice
08-03-2007, 10:34 PM
most tire shops will tell you it's a waste of time to re-groove some old shitty tire

broken_down
08-04-2007, 06:58 AM
Tires aren't old and shitty, would just like to see if I could get some more life out of them!

HEAVY METAL
08-04-2007, 07:10 AM
buy new ones.... DO NOT grooove a radial... period...

fuck they r only 31's what are they 250 each?

Leithmc
08-04-2007, 08:18 AM
most tire shops will tell you it's a waste of time to re-groove some old shitty tire

Most tire shops aren't filled with avid wheelers, just someone looking at the bottom line. Make $40.00 on a new tire in5 min or 20 to 30 grooving a tire for half an hour. I know exactly what you're talking about. You're just not hitting the right shop.

Leith

Leithmc
08-04-2007, 08:19 AM

fuck they r only 31's what are they 250 each?

For that price you can get into 33"s

Leithmc
08-04-2007, 08:26 AM

That's a good point. I didn't realize the 31 doesn't come bias.

Leith

godtool
08-04-2007, 09:26 AM
For some of us $$ is tight... I bought a rear locker for my 14 bolt. Grooving my tires will give me a couple more years out of them since my Jimmy is only used a few times each month at the most. Plus after grooving they look better, grab a bit better. In two years I'll have had lots of fun with my locker, and I'll have worn off those swampers to the limit, and saved up $$ to buy new tires... proably buy some other kind that don't roar and vibrate on pavement (unless I have a car hauler by then). I SAY GROOVE THOSE TIRES IF YOU CAN!!! Ignore the cynics. One thing though, if DOT pulls you over and sees grooving done I don't know what they would say. I actually had my wear bars grooved out! I try to stay off the pavement. Until I get my car hauler, I'll take off my swampers, throw them on my utility trailer, put on my stock wheels till I hit that gnarly trailhead (I may need to drive 2 hrs on pavement, for a day or two of wheelin' but still finding lots on the fsr's that pass my house)!

broken_down
08-04-2007, 09:34 AM
well a 33" tire wouldn't work for my jeep right now, only a 3" lift. but maybe I'll get some prices on new 32's.

HEAVY METAL
08-04-2007, 09:58 AM
For some of us $$ is tight... I bought a rear locker for my 14 bolt. Grooving my tires will give me a couple more years out of them since my Jimmy is only used a few times each month at the most. Plus after grooving they look better, grab a bit better. In two years I'll have had lots of fun with my locker, and I'll have worn off those swampers to the limit, and saved up $$ to buy new tires... proably buy some other kind that don't roar and vibrate on pavement (unless I have a car hauler by then). I SAY GROOVE THOSE TIRES IF YOU CAN!!! Ignore the cynics. One thing though, if DOT pulls you over and sees grooving done I don't know what they would say. I actually had my wear bars grooved out! I try to stay off the pavement. Until I get my car hauler, I'll take off my swampers, throw them on my utility trailer, put on my stock wheels till I hit that gnarly trailhead (I may need to drive 2 hrs on pavement, for a day or two of wheelin' but still finding lots on the fsr's that pass my house)!

.. pay too play....

...betcha new tires would look and work even better....

.. once again.. they r RADIAL tire....

.. i know what they'd say..

people like you give driven a lifted chevy a bad name...[16]

at least you have one thing rigfht in ur name.. TOOL....

B
08-04-2007, 10:44 AM
lol ... those baja's are fucking shit tires sell them while u might get something for them and get sum new skins ... if u like the side bitter's that much plant them in the garden so u can look at them ... don't waste ur time grooving radial shit .....

[stupid]

nonhighwayservice
08-05-2007, 08:15 PM
$$ may be tight, grooving 31's is a waist of time. I'm a tire guy myself, and I wouldn't be botherd grooving any tire let alone 31's

godtool
08-05-2007, 09:21 PM
Far as I 've been told my bias tires were easy to groove quite deep but if you have radials I know the belts are close to the surface once the tread is completely worn off, others in the tire business would know a lot more then me. I had my tires grooved down to the bottom depth of the wear bars. Now have you heard of scoopin tires?? My neighbor, Ed, the owner of "Mostly Stolen", bought boggers for his mud truck. He removed every second lug and then scooped out the forward edge of each lug left. He uses a 2" hole saw with all the teeth ground off but a knife edge remains. As you start scoopin, the knife edge on the hole saw gets very hot which results in better and easier scoopin he says. However he does not scoop lower then the bottom of the tread I believe. I on the otherhand only wanted a groove 3/8" wide by 1/4" deep. As for groovin Heavymetal, alloys, and steel, I know there is many TOOL's for doing that.

broken_down
08-06-2007, 12:47 PM
well I guess everyone has there own opinion to this. I would just like to get another year or 2 out of my tires......