PDA

View Full Version : K5 tank in a pick up????

PIGDOG
07-31-2007, 01:26 AM
Well I just smashed my saddle tank so this is a good time for the K5 tank conversion.What do I need? I don't have a Blazer to look at. I know I'll need a tank and straps and I'll probably buy new. Will I need a new sender? I have also heard that I have to remove a cross member. I know the one but I also have an inboard shock crosmember right behind the axle. Will that work? What do the straps mount to? Do I have to make a bracket or are the straps hinges just welded to the floor? Is the factory skid plate enough or will I have to make one?
Sorry for all the questions but I figured I could learn from someone elses experiences to save me some time.

For anybody that's done it, is it worth it? I'm wondering if just making a skid plate incorporated with some sliders on my saddle tank might be better. I have a 2" body lift so I could raise the tank a little. :confused0006:

I've already asked these questions twice on a chev sight and no reply's. I thought it was a common swap.

Oh, I have an 87 shortbox with TBI

HEAVY METAL
07-31-2007, 07:09 AM
i have new tank, new straps but i think you need dif fuel pump with it bein tbi..

broken_down
07-31-2007, 10:15 AM
on my 95 s-10 I installed a jimmy/blazer (not fullsize) 82-93 gastank. built new crossmember at the back of the frame, and made new straps out of 1/8" x 2" wide steel. Than just extended all of my fuel lines. use the sending unit out of the jimmy/blazer gastank. had the filler neck come up through the box floor. flush mounted... looks and works great!

Kinslayer
08-05-2007, 11:49 AM
Yeah, you are going to need A fuel pump with the older blazer tank for sure. Straps bolt onto the crossmembers i'm pretty sure - your custom shock crossmember might get in the way, but you probably put it in the opening above the axle...I would hope anyway, which isn't where you put the tank.

jeepingpw
08-10-2007, 06:55 PM
the hell with fuel tanks, go propane w/saddle tanks. They will support the weight of the truck & it's cheaper to drive. Blazer tank will only decrease your angle.

PIGDOG
08-11-2007, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the advice. I ended up getting a new sadle tank. I have a 2" body lift so I plan on raising the tank 2 " and incorporating a skid plate with bolt on sliders. I will start on this in a couple of weeks.

PIGDOG
09-30-2008, 02:00 AM
This is an old thread that I forgot about and found while lookin at my use CP. I figure I'll post some pics of what I did.Raised the tank 2" and skidplated the saddle bag with the slider. I've beat the shit outa this and it's been good.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t274/jpxx/S5300178.jpg
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t274/jpxx/S5300180.jpg

Sorry, probably the best pic I have of them installed but you get the idea. The skid plate is basically at frame level.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t274/jpxx/yy.jpg

HEAVY METAL
09-30-2008, 07:08 AM
the hell with fuel tanks, go propane w/saddle tanks. They will support the weight of the truck & it's cheaper to drive. Blazer tank will only decrease your angle.

how so? iv enever had my tank being an issue on the trail...

tchevy
09-30-2008, 09:29 PM
i too have a 2inch body lift and have raized the bumpers. it all looks good and normal but the thing that bothers me the most is the damn tanks what did you do to lift them and was it a chore? thanks in advance[cheers]

PIGDOG
10-01-2008, 12:30 PM
I have these style brackets on my tank. What I did was drill 4 new holes 2 inches lower on the brackets than the holes used, welded nuts to the back of the new holes.This lifts the brackets and tank. I did this a while ago and from what I remember my only issue was that the threaded end of one of the straps was right where a body lift spacer is. I drilled a hole in the spacer for the threaded end to sit.
This is on and 87 shortbox. Different years or a longbox could have different issues.

tchevy
10-01-2008, 12:37 PM
hmm mine is an 86 longbox, sounds like you did it how i was thinking, ill have to give it a try. thanks man[cheers]