PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Starting.....

broken_down
07-25-2007, 06:55 PM
90 XJ 4.0 litre.

Everytime I start her up, it hesitates to turn over. once started it runs fine. My voltage gauge reads about 9-10 amps at all times (a bit low). Is this a charging problem or a spark problem or other?

:dontknow:

Throttle
07-26-2007, 05:41 PM
Mine's doing the same thing. Try turning the vehicle to accessories and listen for the fuel pump, once it stops whining then back one click, and then back to accessories and listen. Do that about 5 times then try to start it, if it starts, then its your fuel pump ($200 at Lordco for a '98). Stupid Chrysler fuel pump check valve!!!

broken_down
07-26-2007, 06:18 PM
hmmmmm thanxz I'll try that. but what about my voltage gauge, should it not read close to 14 amps/volts at all times?

Nutbar
07-26-2007, 06:25 PM
The 87-90 XJ's had problems with the starter relay and in the case of the automatics they also had some problems with the park safety switch on the transmission.

As far as the VOLTmeter goes you should have about 12 VOLTS at key on and about 14 VOLTS when engine is running. It is not uncommon for the factory guages to be out of calibration a little bit, best thing to do is to have a battery and alternator test done on the truck. It doesn't sound like you are not charging or you would be complaining about a dead truck that has to be jump started all the time.

broken_down
08-22-2007, 07:26 PM
well I replaced the battery. got a battery direct battery. The gauge is still reading low. (about 10 volts) doesn't go anywhere near 14volts.

Got the charging system checked as well before I got the new battery. was told that the battery was weak, but the alternator is working fine.

What else could cause this problem?

Nutbar
08-22-2007, 07:34 PM
The factory guages on the dash are crap, even in the factory shop manuals they tell you when you are checking the guage function that reading it shows will be close (can't remember their wording) to actual measures to + or - 5 to 10% depending on which guage you are checking. So if you have had the alternator tested and it is working fine then don't trust the guage. If you feel like you need the guages get aftermarket ones.