PDA

View Full Version : Water pump gasket advice

mista fitz
07-25-2007, 09:06 AM
So.. I had a leak where the water pump is attached to my 304. In taking it off last night, I noticed the mechanic who did this last (3 years or more) used blue RTV and no OEM gasket.

Is this the preferable way of doing it? What's your opinion/experience?

Should I:

1. Use the OEM gasket

2. Use blue RTV

3. Use both the OEM gasket and the blue RTV.

This one last task, and I'll finally get to drive my CJ5 for a bit this summer!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/127/355179652_7d33625ab8_m.jpg

F150HULK
07-25-2007, 09:10 AM
do not use blue silicone or any other silicone.

use oem gasket and get gasket sealer ( Aviation Form A Gasket )

mista fitz
07-25-2007, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the advice...

Last guy used ONLY blue silicone :mad:

I kinda thought it was mickey mouse. Will I find this Gasket Sealer (Aviation form a gasket) down at Lordco?

F150HULK
07-25-2007, 10:28 AM
yes, you should be able to find it at any auto parts store.

Nutbar
07-25-2007, 06:01 PM
the aviation gasket sealer works, we use some stuff in a spray can called High Tack, use that stuff anywhere you are putting gasket never use silicone and a gasket together silicone makes the gaskets slippery and they are guaranteed to slip out.

pumpkin
07-25-2007, 08:43 PM
I use 3m weather stripping glue to hold the gasket to the pump then bolt it on.

m j
07-25-2007, 09:03 PM
I use spray glue and glue the gasket to what ever is easier to get to the solvent tank for cleaning next time it comes off
I detest removing silicone
a gasket will come off relatively nice and clean

Troy
07-25-2007, 11:43 PM
another old trick is a light coat silver spray paint to hold a gasket on, can be any color but it works

Leithmc
07-26-2007, 06:47 AM
Hi tack spray, not too much though, and a gasket.

Leith

mista fitz
07-26-2007, 08:27 AM
Thanks for all the replies.. I got some high-tack, and will basically use just enough to hold the gasket in place for assembly.

mj: Yeah, all this silicone is a bitch to get off cleanly... and I can clearly see where it's all worn through.

nutbar: I do remember that you can't use both gasket/rtv, thanks.

I didn't get to put it all back together last night - had to sell my jeep out for swimming/boozing at Nanaimo River with some friends.... but this evening it will come to life! Now.. to remember which bolts go back where - why do they make them all different lengths? hahaha.

mista fitz
07-26-2007, 07:52 PM
JUST about had it put together... and snapped two heads off old bolts. Yeah, that's right, left the other half of the bolt IN where I can't get it out.

GREAT. Guess I can start over... AND more! FUCK.

biggestal
07-26-2007, 11:19 PM
over torqing causes a lot of leaks

Leithmc
07-27-2007, 06:02 AM
JUST about had it put together... and snapped two heads off old bolts. Yeah, that's right, left the other half of the bolt IN where I can't get it out.

GREAT. Guess I can start over... AND more! FUCK.

Jeeps are like chicks eh? Sometimes no matter how hard you try, you just can't get it right.

Leith

mista fitz
07-27-2007, 08:18 AM

I wish I even got to get that far, this didn't take much at all to snap 'em. Thanks though.

mista fitz
07-27-2007, 08:22 AM
Jeeps are like chicks eh? Sometimes no matter how hard you try, you just can't get it right.

Leith

Ha. Well, thank god I've never broken the head off.

4Lo
07-27-2007, 11:09 PM

And broken bolts!!:p

Throttle
07-28-2007, 12:47 PM
Aviation form a gasket works AWSOME for water pumps. It stays tacky, therefore it doesn't harden and crack or slip out of place like silicone does.

Kinslayer
07-30-2007, 10:20 AM
I got a stud remover from princess a while back - fucking thing works awesome on that kind of shit..I thinks they are on sale again too.

Apathy
07-30-2007, 11:55 AM
Some vehicles call out to use only silicone instead of gaskets.
example is that my nissan does not have a gasket for the thermotat. parts book calls out silicone.

My recomondation would be to get the correct gasket and use Permatex #2 on one side. This permatex is made for sealing this area

Mr Vic
07-30-2007, 12:00 PM
i have used the black rtv sealant for water pumps and never had problem before.. it was on a chevy tho. is it a bad idea to use black rtv sealant?

mista fitz
07-30-2007, 01:23 PM
I got a stud remover from princess a while back - fucking thing works awesome on that kind of shit..I thinks they are on sale again too.

Thought I'd need one - but I was LUCKY - just enough bolt peeking out to get some small vice grips on there.

Damn Lordco doesn't have the metric bolts I need though - checking a recommended shop out on the way home today.

Apathy
07-30-2007, 06:36 PM
i have used the black rtv sealant for water pumps and never had problem before.. it was on a chevy tho. is it a bad idea to use black rtv sealant?

in my opinion, black, blue, red, its all the same.

I used the "black-grayish" permatex #2 (which probably isn't the same black your talking about)

on about a dozen chev water pumps If youi use silicone, use it on one side then when you remove said item, it pops right off.. so put the silicone or sealant on the water pump, and the gasket on the engine block. next time you tak it off the gasket will generally stick to the sealant side