PDA

View Full Version : starting

get stuck
07-24-2007, 09:33 PM
I am haveing truoble with the wireing in my truck my starter is hooked up to a push button but i still have to turn my ignition on to start the truck .But recently it seems like the coil is not getting power .It first happend at the quesnal mud boggs it was working fine the hole weekend then my dad went to go in the mecahanics race and shut it off while he was waiting then went to start it back up and it wasnt getting spark .Now the only way you can get it to start is to turn the key off and on really fast .But right now i cant gett it running at all if i turn the key off and on it trys to start but won't . any on eknow what this could be:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

thanks [cheers]

kyle

kootenaycat
07-24-2007, 11:15 PM
You running the stock distributor (electronic), or did you go points/MSD? Sounds like a bad ignition switch, but need more info to diag. Is this the one in your sig? Dodge 440? Little info will help!

get stuck
07-25-2007, 12:08 AM
sorry yes its on the dodge 440 with an electronic distributer i dont really know what else.

get stuck
07-25-2007, 12:13 AM
i have tryed with 2 differnt coils and it ran with both but now its doing this i just bought a brand new accel coil today too so im not quite sure what it could be im just going to go over all the wires and tomorrow

epic3
07-25-2007, 01:36 PM
sounds to me like youre using the ignition output from your ignition switch to power your starter button and your doing so I'd assume without a relay.
This is a no no the ignition output on the ignition switchnis not meant to suplly that much current crank and ignition combined is more than doubling the rated use of the switch for that curcuit so you most liely have fried that part of the switch

kootenaycat
07-25-2007, 05:41 PM
Epic has a point, I forgot most Dodges use a starter relay in the engine compartment, usually a metal relay, I believe brown wire is the hot wire to the starter solenoid, used this method many times for compression tests. Just find which wire energizes the relay and take your hot wire from the starter button and connect it to that one. And check your ignition switch too for 12volts output when in the run position. Check it with the connector hooked up, without a load it will give you false readings if there's a bad contact.

NeoAnderson
07-25-2007, 06:54 PM
Kootenaycat is right.

[stupid]

Someone knows their dodges!!![36][36][36][36]

85_GMC_4x4
07-25-2007, 07:43 PM
Sounds like a relay should be used, but his problem is spark not crank...

I also vote for a bad iginition switch.

kootenaycat
07-25-2007, 11:03 PM
Sounds like a relay should be used, but his problem is spark not crank...

I also vote for a bad iginition switch.

Yah, but Epic was saying the ign switch may have burned out due to drawing power straight through it to energize the starter solenoid, not the starter relay. That's why he should rewire his pushbutton start.

I agree, he still has to figure why it has no spark, need a wiring schematic to see which is the power wire to the ign module and go from there.

get stuck
07-26-2007, 05:24 PM
humm ok i will take another look at thsi thanks for the help

get stuck
08-01-2007, 01:28 PM
well i wired the coil on a toggle switch like the stock car guys do but it still dose tha same thing