PDA

View Full Version : Ford 460 Performance Questions?

HillBillyLincoln
07-11-2007, 10:57 PM
1989 460
Has any one tried the BBK throttle body? (twin 62mm)
Or how about the JET chip?
Just wondering if I should spend the money.
Thanks[cheers]

HEAVY METAL
07-12-2007, 07:32 AM
BBK makes goos shit yo... id go that route if ia was you..

Squishy
07-12-2007, 12:55 PM
my opinion(someone correct me if i am wrong) is that a chip on a "stock" motor is useless, all they do is play with the timing curve, which you can do with the distributor and a timing light. when you put the chip in they specify you have to run on a higher octane fuel. unless the motor is cammed out, or doesnt have a distributor to play with (like the modular v8's in the newer mustangs) i think its a waste of money. but hey i may be wrong?

epic3
07-12-2007, 02:08 PM
your wrong with a timing light all you can do is play with your fixed timing not a "timing curve" which changes proportionaly due to engine vacuume and other factors like detonation.
Changing your static timing by rotating your distributor will only change the starting point at which the comp will do the rest

Squishy
07-12-2007, 02:50 PM
ahh, ok, good to know, i figured since stock timing at 10" can run 87, when they said it changes your timing(and also specifys that you need high octane) it was just doing the same thing you could do with the dizzy. my bad[cheers]

m j
07-12-2007, 03:51 PM
still very little a chip can do for a gas motor.
waste of cash
to wake up a 460 you need to give it more compression.
as with almost every ford truck motor it is very low compression.
compression is power

HillBillyLincoln
07-13-2007, 12:23 AM
I should mention this is a new motor built by Magnuem engines. I don't know all the details. (Pete had it built to his specs R.I.P) . I heard that it's cammed up etc. The stock throttle body is loose....I need to buy one anyways. I guess I am better off with the BBK.

Squishy
07-13-2007, 01:26 AM
if you have to replace it anyhow bbk would be the way to go

WagoneerXJ
07-14-2007, 12:27 PM
Also get some exhaust on that bad boy. Should be some headers available for it.