PDA

View Full Version : diesel?

shawn_ruley
07-11-2007, 10:27 PM
I have no idea how, but I managed to find an '85 2wd diesel pickup for sale.
the truck itself is rusted beyond the point of saving, but the odometer only reads 230,000 (nothing for a diesel)
would this be a good engine swap candidate for my beast? By that I mean, is the 2.4d as reliable as the 22r? and how easy will it fit in place of the 22r?

Wagz
08-01-2007, 09:37 PM
they are gutless as hell....i drove one for 2 months while drilling and the only thing i liked about em was they never broke down. This was in a 4 dr hilux though, with a small tidy tank.

Just my 0.02c .

KINGCRUISER
08-03-2007, 04:56 PM
Thats a beuty engine, mine ripped to 375000k before I rolled it, started everytime, was wicked on gas, and chugged along just fine in the bush.

Kinslayer
08-03-2007, 05:14 PM
If it's the same motor or similar to the cruiser diesels i'm pretty sure you can get turbo kits for em...

Diesel rules!

Wagz
08-04-2007, 08:24 PM
I drove the turbo version of that engine and loved it, just wasn't impressed with the na engine.

shawn_ruley
08-04-2007, 09:11 PM
thanks for your input guys:D

Im not looking for mad power here. My dream truck is a hilux diesel, only problem with that is you cant find any in North America so Im gonna have to build one.

Wagz
08-08-2007, 11:43 AM
There is a guy who imports them into kelowna and sells them all saftied and shit up there. that's where my company got the trucks. He still had a few for sale i think. I don't know him, nor do i care if he sells em, just thought i'd let you know. I know my company paid around 15k for theirs...good shape can't remember how many kms though...

lizard
08-08-2007, 02:35 PM
the NA ones are bit gutlass ,but built like a tank
hilux past 89 has the 2.8 theres afew here but not cheap .

ggreat bush truck motor and it will fit right into a 22r/re truck , needs a pan & mounts made , do abit of google

jeepingpw
08-15-2007, 09:28 PM
Is that the one on Glenmore Rd? I think he's asking too much. On the Hwy before Armstrong a guy has a fenced lot with a few for sale (right hand drive), but pricey.

If you want a right hand drive you better buy one now as I've read that the Gov't is going to put an import ban on them soon.

shawn_ruley
08-15-2007, 10:41 PM
Iv heard all about that stuff, makes no sense to keep a car off the road thats SAFER than 50% of the death traps you see out on the road today:dontknow:
but ya its the red one out on glenmore, wont budge from $15 so thats a dream that will never happen

I will be making a trip to new zealand later on in the fall so Im gonna hunt for one down there and just bring back the front clip, appearently you cant turn your head without seeing one down there:party0010:

FZJ80
08-15-2007, 10:58 PM
It's ICBC that has everything to do with the ban, they say your 40% more likely to be involved in a crash with a right hand drive vehicle. Shouldn't stop them being imported, they will just have to be converted to left hand drive and that will increase there price more.

jeepingpw
08-16-2007, 09:14 PM
I'd tel him he's nuts & offer him $300. Then put it in a 4x4 if it bolts up to the trans ???? It'll be slow, but cheap to drive, just get a tank in your yard & buy Heating Oil for about $.87 a litre.

BrokenToy
08-17-2007, 07:41 PM
i always liked the old school yota diesels, seemed bulletproof. only problem is they're impossible to find or mega $$$

shawn_ruley
08-17-2007, 08:35 PM
that seems to be the problem with most parts for my truck...all of them usually end up as giant piles of rust, then the ones that are good-no one wants to sell them:mad:

goonie
08-22-2007, 10:24 PM
i just got a 87 turbo diesel for my 4runner, from what ive heard i wont be disapointed. hope yours works too.

Trooper
08-26-2007, 03:39 PM
It's ICBC that has everything to do with the ban, they say your 40% more likely to be involved in a crash with a right hand drive vehicle. Shouldn't stop them being imported, they will just have to be converted to left hand drive and that will increase there price more.

Bullshit.
This is what ICBC is going on. They want to ban ALL inports of vehicles over 15 years of age RHD or LHD. They say the older the car the more likely it will be in a serious crash. a 15 year old car has a 40% higher chance or being in an accident get your facts straight. ICBC wont release vehicle make crash statistics and they wont release RHD statistics. Same thing they wont tell you if the "N" driving program has reduced the crash rate of young drivers but they will tell you they have made over 900million from the licensing fees of L and N drivers. All they want to do is sell new cars. They cant just ban RHD vehicles ICBC has no say over it at all. They have been pushing transport canada to ban RHD drives for over a year now.

Anyways I grew up with diesel land cruisers never left us in the bush. I sell my RHD's and run to the dealer ship if they sold diesel landy cruisers now. the 90's straight six petrol engine was a gutless guzzling pig, ruined a an awesome tradition.

lizard
08-26-2007, 04:48 PM
they sell the cruisers new to the mines still , hella tuff HD truck , looks like 1ton suspension & 4.2TD . If yah new the guy ordering them from a mine..........?

Other option is the 1.9 TD VW engine into a toy , they have the kits for that too , another excellant diesel motor

gavman
08-26-2007, 05:05 PM
they sell the cruisers new to the mines still , hella tuff HD truck , looks like 1ton suspension & 4.2TD . If yah new the guy ordering them from a mine..........?

Other option is the 1.9 TD VW engine into a toy , they have the kits for that too , another excellant diesel motor
Yeah i hear the mine cruisers are over 80 grand and are absolutely not allowed on the road which is too bad cause they would last forever:confused:

Trooper
08-26-2007, 06:02 PM
They are not allowed on the road. Special vin that can never be insured arent they totally detuned aswell for less emissions for underground work?

I love the 4.2 will run on ANYTHING seen allot of veggie oil conversions. mine are on 100% bio

lizard
08-26-2007, 07:06 PM
cant see them being 80k as there just a cab& chassis, still the same body style , they dont detune them they run scrubbers & cleaners in the exhaust

I saw 5 for sale at richie bros years ago , beat to hell and all the mine stuff on them, still running good , they went from 6g to 1500 depending on shape , I was gonna buy one for a bush buggy but missed the 1500 one

Trooper
08-26-2007, 07:13 PM
for $6000 you can bring one in from japan. New in europe a land cruiser diesel is almost 100,000 euros

FZJ80
08-26-2007, 09:47 PM
Bullshit.
This is what ICBC is going on. They want to ban ALL inports of vehicles over 15 years of age RHD or LHD. They say the older the car the more likely it will be in a serious crash. a 15 year old car has a 40% higher chance or being in an accident get your facts straight. ICBC wont release vehicle make crash statistics and they wont release RHD statistics. Same thing they wont tell you if the "N" driving program has reduced the crash rate of young drivers but they will tell you they have made over 900million from the licensing fees of L and N drivers. All they want to do is sell new cars. They cant just ban RHD vehicles ICBC has no say over it at all. They have been pushing transport canada to ban RHD drives for over a year now.

Anyways I grew up with diesel land cruisers never left us in the bush. I sell my RHD's and run to the dealer ship if they sold diesel landy cruisers now. the 90's straight six petrol engine was a gutless guzzling pig, ruined a an awesome tradition.

http://icbc.com/inside_icbc/august2007news.asp#5

Trooper
08-27-2007, 12:06 AM
http://icbc.com/library/research_papers/right-hand-drive_vehicles/pdf/rhd_vehicle_safety_report.pdf

did you read the thing? it was from 1087 500 or witch were registered some of them were ubilt and imports from other countrys. The only thing they could come up with were old stats....

Trooper
08-27-2007, 12:10 AM
old one here save it and elarge it

FZJ80
08-27-2007, 10:25 AM
Yes i have, and i too think it's crap, but it's ICBC leading the push to get Transport Canada to ban the import Of JDM's as well as others. THEY percieve them as a drain on profit...errr a safety hazard, and they must once again save us from ourselves. Thank god for the Insurance Corperation Of British Columbia or we would all be dead like our parents before ICBC. Regardless, i don't think even the great ICBC can shut down the importation of these trucks for use as parts but who knows.

shawn_ruley
08-27-2007, 06:43 PM
the way I see it, any vehicle should be allowed to drive on the roads as long as it passes a VI first, shouldnt matter what year it is, where it comes from or anything like that

FZJ80
08-27-2007, 09:05 PM
I agree as long as it's not a biased entity like ICBC who comes up with the rules of what is or isn't safe. One has to wonder how many firms were used before coming up with the figures that ICBC wanted to see.