PDA

View Full Version : Swapping Pinion Yoke

hrd4mud
07-11-2007, 01:59 PM
I Have a Dodge 1500 with a D44 Front Axle. When I was taking the front driveshaft off, one of the bolts broke off into the Front Pinion Yoke. I tried to use an easy out, but that snapped off inside the bolt, now I have a hardened steele easy out in the middle and cant drill it out.

So my thought is to just replace the pinion yoke, new one is fairly cheep. Can I just unbolt the yoke, and put the new one one without replacing the crush sleve and re-setting up my gears? What do I tourque the big nut to?

Thanks

Apathy
07-11-2007, 02:50 PM
your D44 has a crush sleeve?

hrd4mud
07-12-2007, 09:03 AM
Thats what someone said on another site that focuses on dodges? I havnt ever opened the diff up.

Im getting conflicting stories, so I figure Im just gonna go for it, tourque it down snug, and hope it works.

Apathy
07-12-2007, 05:07 PM
there is no crush sleeve in My HPD44.

As long as there is no crush sleeve, change her out, no problems

MetalMan
07-12-2007, 09:13 PM
I've only had one D44 apart but I thought it did have a crush sleeve...was a long time ago though. Why don't you just extract the bolt? Easier and cheaper than swapping yokes...

kootenaycat
07-12-2007, 11:56 PM
Whenever I do a pinion seal at work I mark the nut and pinion shaft with a centre punch so that it gets tightened back to as close as possible. I also count the number of threads you can see above the pinion nut before taking it off, sometimes it feels pretty tight and you're not sure if it can go another full turn or not! Count them, mark the nut to pinion and you can't go wrong whether it's got a crush sleeve or not. With a crush sleeve you really have to give it some serious torque to crush it further, so I wouldn't be too overly concerned about it unless you're using a 1" drive impact.

Leithmc
07-13-2007, 09:53 AM
My 44 has no crush sleeve. I tighten it up till the play goes away. I've had it out a couple times and never a problem with it.

Leith

hrd4mud
07-13-2007, 04:00 PM
Thanks guys[cheers]