PDA

View Full Version : vibration

Swerve
07-11-2007, 12:34 PM
okay, so here's the story, i have a '79 toyota short box (just got it) i have replaced quite a few parts that were needing replacing and i still had a vibration. i knew the rims and tires were cooked so i thought it could be that.....i have new rims and tires, but i still have that darn high-speed vibration...it seems to be comming from the front but who really knows.....it starts from about 70 on up.....any ideas?....oh yeah, i had a look at the u-joints and they seem to be in line (running parallel) i need to replace the one on the front drive shaft (its clicking) but i can't see how that would have anything to do with the vibration in 2wd.

thanks in advance..Jim

epic3
07-11-2007, 01:42 PM
maybe the front shaft is spinning cus of a screwed hub

toyon35s
07-11-2007, 01:46 PM
its an older toyota thing i think,mine does it too,just wait you put bigger tires on it and a lift ,then you will be lucky to get up to 70[cheers]

Caribourob
07-11-2007, 01:48 PM
Are your hubs locked?? This will create a vibration at the best of times. If you are diagnosing the front shaft then the hubs must be locked. Try running free and see if it goes away, could just be the "mass" of moving parts creating the vibe. Check for one or both Rotors dragging or warped. Does the brake pedal shudder when braking at high speed?? How are the calipers? Sometimes they'll seem to work fine but aren't retracting at all leaving pressure on the pads. Also check the wheel bearings and the king pin bearings for damage (water) or wear. Hows the rear drive shaft? check that for balance/ damage/ worn u-joint. Hope this helps.

Swerve
07-11-2007, 01:54 PM
yep, hubs are free, about 3/4 of that list i've checked...could be the wheel bearing....thanks[cheers]

GOT MUD
07-17-2007, 10:43 PM
a few years back i had the same problem, but every once in a while i'd hear a slight howl or grinding noise, i could of swore that it was the front wheel bearings so i changed them and it was still there, i figured that i didn't have the right torque on the bearings so i took it all apart again and re-did them, after all that and a few months of headache i figured out that it was the rear axle bearings were competely shot and the ring and pinion were a little sloppy. just a little food for thought

crazylike
07-17-2007, 11:27 PM
i have a bad vibration / clunk / squeele it seems my rear drive shaft is about to snap in half. so maybe give your rear drive shaft a bang side to side and see if it clicks. my u-joint is good but the drive shaft itself is cracked... and mine did same thing a bit ago and now has progressed to that.

TWOZEROFOUR
07-18-2007, 02:04 AM
you have a good look at the frame,, Pass. side beside the tank. Mine slowly gained death wobbels as the frame rotted. Before I repaired it one of the rear wheels would hop at over 60.. Scary.

arjan
07-19-2007, 02:00 PM
Aftermarket wheels are my problem, I am going back to Toyota oem alloy wheels. If they are not centered tightly on the hub, they vibrate differently every time you take them on and off.

DURANGO
07-19-2007, 09:03 PM
those tires have no vibes....

Swerve
07-19-2007, 10:56 PM
thanks for all the input guys[cheers] i'll post the outcome:dontknow:

HillBillyLincoln
07-19-2007, 11:56 PM
try removing the drive shaft and running it up to speed...just a thought.

jeeper
07-20-2007, 12:02 AM
anything yet?