PDA

View Full Version : Moving 89 4runner gas tank

youngun
07-09-2007, 09:52 AM
Will there be any problems if I unbolt my gas tank and move it into the back of the truck right behind the back seat. Will there be any fuel delivery issues? This is just a bush truck and im looking to get it out of there as it is like a snow/mud plow. [36]

thanks

BTW: it is EFI

youngun
07-10-2007, 06:20 PM
anyone?

jeeper
07-10-2007, 07:14 PM
For sure a vi will be a problem !

If its efi arent most of the pumps in the tanks? so fuel shouldnt be a problem !

I dont kow if id like havin 15 gallons of gas right behind me and inside especially if i rolled !

How would you vent the tank -now its combustable material in an encolosed area !

Id try every other option first before i put a tank inside like that

Hope this helps -Bruce

Jroc
07-10-2007, 07:16 PM
buy a cheap fuel cell, and keep the top off

jeeper
07-10-2007, 07:17 PM
buy a cheap fuel cell, and keep the top off

That would work !

youngun
07-10-2007, 11:41 PM
don't need to worry about a VI as the tires can't legally touch pavement.
And yes, the fuel pump is inside the tank..
It is convertable and i will be putting the tank at the back by the tailgate so it will be a good 5 feet away from me... just keep the back window down for venting? Every other option requires more work for less of a improvment in groundclearance.

lizard
07-10-2007, 11:43 PM
gas in cab = boom

epic3
07-10-2007, 11:56 PM
thats a retarded idea if you ever roll it or punture the tank fuel vapour and spray will potentialy ignite you and the other occupants of the truck

youngun
07-11-2007, 12:22 AM
so buy a fuel cell?

jeeper
07-11-2007, 12:53 AM
fuel cell for sure if you want to do that ------------I dont want to see you go boom !

Big_Ern
07-11-2007, 01:03 AM
Why the fawk do you want to move it IN the cab???

You can easily relocate them between the frame where the stock spare goes. side-side instead of the stock front-back orientation. A stock tank is just barely narrow enough to fit between the frame.

I did this to mine. Had to grind the edges of the tank slightly, but the grinding was all outside of the sealing ring, so its not gonna leak. Puts it up nice & high out of the way. I actually put mine just in front of the rear axle which worked great 'cause i didn't have to lengthen the fuel lines at all. Just un-clip the and redirect them back to the side.

youngun
07-11-2007, 03:07 PM
i like that idea ern, i will look into it...

Big_Ern
07-11-2007, 05:41 PM
Just seems dumb (and dangerous) to me to move the tank inside the cab. Even with a removable top -- its not off to get vented in the winter.

I understand wanting to move it from the shitty stock location that hangs way down and gets bashed up. But there's good places for it to go.

trevyota
07-11-2007, 06:19 PM
i put it inside my second gen runner and DD'd it for 3 months like that...

i'm no role model... but dont feel like you have to spend more coin just cuz idiot's on here say you do...

if you dont care about legality... do what's easiest... but think about storage space too...

epic3
07-11-2007, 06:30 PM
It aint a concern over legality so much as it a concern for occupant saftey.
when the tank spills and lights everybody up with third degree burns or worst over their entire bodies whos insurance covers the cost who tell the families of these people that someone was just bein cheap and thats why there friends kids brothers sister( you get the idea) are dead or maimed for life

youngun
07-11-2007, 09:02 PM
what about going half and half along the back. cut the hole in the floor and make the tank flush with the floor, i just want it out of the way because its a real snow plow

epic3, i know what you mean, it really wouldn't be very safe. i will look into different ways..

Big_Ern
07-11-2007, 10:47 PM
but flush with the floor is still technically inside the cab. I wouldn't do it. Vapours and roll overs etc...

Just trim the bottom of the body where you put it to remove the bracing to give more room if needed. More functional too, since ya won't loose ANY storage space.

The stock tanks really isn't that big up & down, so putting it under the body between the frame it'll only hang down a couple inches below the frame. Probably less than the spare thats there now does.

youngun
07-12-2007, 12:04 AM
yea, i don't have a spare at the moment but the truck does have a 3" bodylift so i could just lift the tank 3-4" in its stock location and be all good.. no messing with hoses and wires...

Big_Ern
07-12-2007, 12:19 AM
with a 3" bl it probably wouldn't even hang below the frame if you moved it back. Just 2 hoses and a couple wires, not that hard. Gets it well outta harms way, but stock location moved up is a good option too. But ya gotta make new mounts, so just as easy to move it back too.

youngun
07-12-2007, 12:45 AM
i don't have a welder at home so anything with welding will have to wait till school gets back in......

trevyota
07-13-2007, 06:05 PM
the tank's are about a foot tall arent they perm?

it would hang down for sure with a 3 inch BL....

Gaybait
07-13-2007, 06:17 PM
This is Durango's Old 4 runner so i thikn the truck was considered a write off from ICBC hence what he said that it wont legally touch pavement so a VI is not an issue.. so it wont be on the street and it is a bush truck so mainly its his own safety.. let him burn up. haha na im kidding but id also look into a fuel cell..

youngun
07-13-2007, 07:16 PM
yea, i will see, i think it might be going in the back

Big_Ern
07-13-2007, 10:46 PM
the tank's are about a foot tall arent they perm?

it would hang down for sure with a 3 inch BL....

Not sure... Just under a foot I think. Mine sticks up a couple inches above the frame and about the same below,

Yes it would hang down a bit. 2-3" maybe, but thats a fuck of a lot better than stock. And would put it in a much less vulnerable location too.

youngun
07-14-2007, 12:09 AM
yea, i just wanna cut the fenders and weld the rear so i can wheel it a bit

whitlers
07-18-2007, 08:59 PM
some of you guys are so parinoid..if your just gonna beat it around here and there throw the thing in the back big deal, i don't think your gonna roll a 89' runner with a 3" bl and 33's unless your crankin down a logging road at 80 mph and miss a turn but that would just mean your stupid and its your fault anyway

jeeper
07-18-2007, 09:01 PM
some of you guys are so parinoid..if your just gonna beat it around here and there throw the thing in the back big deal, i don't think your gonna roll a 89' runner with a 3" bl and 33's unless your crankin down a logging road at 80 mph and miss a turn but that would just mean your stupid and its your fault anyway

Have you met us yet????????????

That happens on a fairly regulerly !

Yup we are stupid -Yup -we drink a bit off road and drive when we shouldnt at times !

So-Always have your junk built for worse case senerios -cause they do happen !

trevyota
07-19-2007, 01:30 AM
this is a darwin award waiting to happen......

you cant fuck with that.

jeeper
07-19-2007, 01:58 AM
this is a darwin award waiting to happen......

you cant fuck with that.

Hey Trev -I resemble that remark :)

flipper
07-26-2007, 11:34 PM
Lifted my tank 3" with the body lift, now only about 1" of the stock tank guard shows below the frame.