PDA

View Full Version : Cariboo camping and wheeling (56k warning)

Fuzzydog
07-09-2007, 08:09 AM
Wow, what a weekend trip. Took the family out to Cariboo Lake camping Saturday night, with the plan to take a side trip up to Yank's Peak on Sunday. Finally made it! It's a popular local snowmobiling area that I go to in the winter and always wanted to see it in summer. It was an awesome day at the lake on Saturday, and awesome wheeling Sunday. Lots of pics but no action wheeling pics as we were the only vehicle and the Mrs. wasn't about to get out and take shots - which is too bad because some parts of that so-called 'road' were pretty wild. I am so stoked about how well the Jeep handled it all. On with the pics...

Coming into the town of Likely you cross a bridge on the Quesnel River and yes, that is a stop sign in the middle of the river - it's been there for years

The next 8 pics are shots from Ladies Creek rec site on Cariboo Lake. there was only 1 other vehicle there but 3 or 4 stopped in for a bit on Saturday afternoon and then left. First shot is the Jeep parked safely at the spot, resting up for the climb tommorrow. The mosquitos were baaaaad, like real baaaad! fortunately it was just windy enough by the water to keep them at bay.

Nest day we packed up and went around the lake to the Yank's Peak road. Left the tent trailer at the bottom with all the food in it (big mistake - we got hungry) and started climbing. I was very busy trying to keep from rolling off the edge to take pics, the first shot we are already quite high up and have done some major wheeling.

this little shack was at a switchback

this is representative of the type of road all the way up at the lowere levels - not full size friendly (esp if you like your paint)

getting up there! bushes thin out and the road opens up. this is a restricted access area - you have to stay on the road to preserve the alpine. I don't have a problem with that at all as it is beautiful up there and you can see how it would just get destroyed by vehicles tearing through the meadows.

These lily type plants were all over and still very early in the growth stage. spring comes late up here!

more wheelin - this is heading through the meadow between 2 ridges - I actually think it is an ancient volcano and we went through the bowl and started heading up the other side. That side was in the most shade and still quite a bit of snow. I didn't want to chance it without another vehicle to back us up. Final elevation - 1769 metres (give or take 3m according to my GPS)

This is where it starts to get ugly. Signage up here is a bit lacking and on the way up the very rough road we were on teed into a better looking road so on the way back down we decided to take the better looking road as it seemed to be heading downward. Turns out it was a good road to get down but there is still a lot of meltwater coming down and really washed out some sections. It also started switching back quite a bit (which confirmed we were on the right road) but finally got to an impassable washout and had to head all the way back up to the top, and down the road we started on.

turns out to be a good thing we went down the same road as I got a chance to check out this really old mine. the kids wanted to go into the mine shaft but it was very much collapsed and did not look safe at all. Maybe in my youth I would have gone for it but, eh....I'm getting old...

View of the mountain across the valley from the mine

didn't see any major amounts of wildlife, just some deer and this guy was perfectly framed in this shot. We watched him for a bit and started getting into a discussion about it being real or a decoy. It never did move...

These are mining claim markers - they are on posts all over the place. I guess you can't just stop and dig for rocks any old place you like or you might get shot at......:eek:

And finally, crossing the Cariboo River on the way home.

Caribourob
07-09-2007, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the the invite, lol.[f] Just kidding. Looks like an awesome area. I LOVE the old mine.drama

bakelite
07-09-2007, 08:37 AM
Great pictures Fuzzy, looks like a lot of fun. Likely is cool, lots of exploring to be done in that area. [36] [cheers]

redman
07-09-2007, 09:01 AM
looks like real nice country,

seems like the bugs are gonna bad all over thsi summer

Murd0c
07-09-2007, 09:17 AM
WOW great pics looked like a awesome time

northernman
07-09-2007, 09:29 AM
:rockhorns: [36] Thanks for the pic's they look great. Looks like ya had some fun dude.drama

Fuzzydog
07-09-2007, 09:36 AM
apologies to the local people for not putting out an invite :o but I didn't realize it was going to be such an adventure - It was just going to be a quiet relaxing family outing. I had been told that there was a pretty tame road up over Yank's and so it was just going to be a leisurly family drive but turned into much more.

this would be a great group trip for a longish weekend (later in bug season)- head out on friday afternoon, set up camp, go wheelin and exploring all day saturday, chillax on sunday and head home.

highwaystar
07-09-2007, 03:54 PM
great pics & cool mine [cheers]

gotta love those so called tame roads :confused0006: :D

AbF250
07-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Nice pics! Ive been up there a few times. That stop sign in the river is cool! My good friends own and operate the general store and gas station in Likely! Long drive from here though! 10-12 hours and just over 1000kms!!

longhorn
07-09-2007, 05:43 PM
My favorite part of B.C.................................

nykoma
07-09-2007, 07:33 PM
great pictures of the trip[cheers]

Mud Slinging Dumb Fawker
07-09-2007, 07:41 PM
sweet pics looks like you hade a good time [36] [36] [36] [36] [36] [36]

kootenaycat
07-09-2007, 11:16 PM
What an awesome trip! Love getting up to alpine like that, and good to see it's not chewed up. There's a time and place to mudbog, glad it hasn't happened up there! [cheers] Enviros would have it shut down immediately.

Cool mine pics too, flathead motor is pretty old.

Taxidermy
07-10-2007, 12:06 AM
sweet pics jeep

Evan the Blue
07-10-2007, 05:30 AM
Fab pics and great story .... Thanks [cheers]

Truckstuff
07-10-2007, 05:45 AM
Excellent Pics.... Thanks for sharing. I haven't been there in years. A friend of the family owned a cabin and 18 acres on the other side of ladies creek landing to the right of the Hydro/Placer Mine. We had to get to it by boat. We also new the old prospector who had the claim at the hydro/Placer Mine. I have been across Yanks Peak many of times from Keithly Creek to Barkersville. One last thing.... I was planning a trip up there with my son and had heard that they closed Yanks Peak to motorized vehicles when the snow melts a couple of years ago???? So I never did the trip.

[cheers]

Fuzzydog
07-10-2007, 07:15 AM
One last thing.... I was planning a trip up there with my son and had heard that they closed Yanks Peak to motorized vehicles when the snow melts a couple of years ago???? So I never did the trip.

[cheers]

No they have not closed it, yet, but there are signs that state it is a restricted access area from June 1 to .....sometime in the late fall, and you have to stay on the designated road. However, in typical government fashion the signs they post up with maps showing the designated roads are pretty hard to figure out - they have this tiny scale map and the signs are planted in places where you have to be a billy goat to get close enough to actually read them. Who the hell puts up 'important' signs like that without any consideration for people actually being able to read them?!?!?. Considering how big of a deal they have made of this, would it be too much trouble to put up a sign here and there saying "this IS the designated road"?? I am quite certain, although not positive that I was on the designated road. Had a discussion with a miner after we got back down and told him where we went, and he confirmed that was the right road.
let me know if you do get up this way and I'd be up for making the trip with you, or anyone else for that matter.