PDA

View Full Version : carb troubles

shawn_ruley
07-08-2007, 11:31 PM
Took the beast for a spin up chute lake
after going up a few steep hills, the engine died.
It starts and runs, but as soon as you take your foot off the gas it dies.
Its still making good oil pressure and when you are on the gas, it revs up like it normaly would.
I was thinking that it could possibly be an idle screw that got rattled in/out or something along those lines?:dontknow:

shawn_ruley
07-10-2007, 06:20 PM
anybody?

kamloopsyota
07-10-2007, 07:14 PM
could be the excelerator pump i think its called.....if its the stock carb, and you are going to keep it carbed....why not rebuild it, its cheap as hell, something like 45 bucksa for a rebuild

shawn_ruley
07-11-2007, 09:35 PM
That sounds like a good place to start, Ill give it a try and see what happens

toyon35s
07-12-2007, 05:30 PM
its your floats,mine had the same problem,shitty carbs,clean it and throw it back on and the first time you hit a good bump or little jump, you will be back were you started,with a fucked carb[cheers]

shawn_ruley
07-12-2007, 09:17 PM
ya, iv found out that these carbs arent exactly known for being the best pieces of mechanical engineering, so a rebuild it is:(

are there any "tricks" that I can do when I rebuild it?:dontknow:

kamloopsyota
07-12-2007, 10:53 PM
you can run it backwards...

shawn_ruley
07-13-2007, 05:50 PM
...so the floats dont get starved when going uphill?:confused0006:

well I got it taken apart now, im starting to get worried because I couldnt really see anything wrong or out of place as I was disassembling it.
its getting soaked overnight and put back together tomorrow so hopefully the beast will be good to go by sunday

kamloopsyota
07-13-2007, 08:31 PM
blow out all the holes and what not too, could have crap laying in there

shawn_ruley
07-19-2007, 06:36 PM
thanks for the help guys
replaced the floats, cleaned everything up and she runs better than before:D

StillRYE
07-23-2007, 11:34 AM
the shitty thing with Toyota carbs is you have to bend the little metal tabs on the float to adjjust it so what happens is they get bent if you hit a hard enough bump then you gotta pull it apart and adjust it again.

Swap on a Holley

shawn_ruley
07-23-2007, 07:07 PM
the shitty thing with Toyota carbs is you have to bend the little metal tabs on the float to adjjust it so what happens is they get bent if you hit a hard enough bump then you gotta pull it apart and adjust it again.

Swap on a Holley

you know the specific one I would need?
Im soon going to have a bunch of cash that I can dump into my truck and the carb is the first thing to go

toyon35s
07-23-2007, 07:23 PM
i have the holley and its too big for the 4cyl,you hve to take it in and get it re jetted,the kits 700$ for the carb and adaptor kit,not worth it in my eyes,but if your interested ill sell you mine[cheers]

StillRYE
07-24-2007, 11:12 AM
I could sell ya everything you need for les then 400 thats new jets and off road needle and seat and everything its a super easy swap cheaper and far better then a weber but its still a carb and your still gonna have to play around with it from time to time