PDA

View Full Version : Hot Tub - First Try

dustoff
07-05-2007, 12:31 AM
First, I must thank Fun In BC for the inspiration, honky for the advice and gavman for the help.

Gavman and I went with our families to Mule Deer Camp Ground in Manning Park to meet up with some friends for the Canada Day Long Weekend. We wanted to test out my hot tub coil. We actually became legends. My wife kept nagging me (she does this lots) about the rangers not allowing me to have a hot tub. She couldn't be more wrong. Over the weekend 5 different rangers heard the story of some campers building a hot tub and stopped by to see the incredible site.

Without sounding too modest, our first try was a huge success, a couple of glitches along the way, but in the end we had three full, very hot, hot tubs.

-------------------------------------------------
The virgin coil with stems in the background. Them stems were my weak link. Broke them twice. The first time gavman was able to use the extra solder on the pipe to reseal the joint. The second time I just removed the joint and clamped the hose directly to the coil.

My ShurFlo pump and battery with fuse and on/off switch. When the battery got low I would charge it with a generator. I plan on trying to hook up a smaller solar panel to see if I might be able to trickle charge the battery.

Virgin Coil.

My filter trap, also served very well as a cooler.

Construction of the tub begins.

And continues.

And continues.

We used ratchet straps to tie the log together.

The kids wanted in before we even got water in the tub.

Next we laid a virgin tarp, a good one, this way we didn't need two.

We have water coming from the very cold Similkameen River. We are feeling good, everything is working.

Gavman and I put the virgin coil on the fire. We found out that my coil just isn't getting enough heat, it's also late in the day, to late to have a successful hot tub. The problem here was we couldn't drop the coil further into the fire because of the grill welded to the park's fire pits. We would solve this the next morning.

A coil shot.

We turned the fire pit upside down giving my coil full access to the fire. 10 AM

4 PM, the very cold Similkameen River water is no longer cold, it's not hot yet, just warm and the kids wanted in because they were all being kicked out by nine. Look at the thanks I get.

Missing the 11 PM shot. Nice and hot.

Missing the 2 AM shot. Almost too hot.

Two of my three females, the oldest, my wife Stephanie and the youngest, my daughter Daisy.

Oh yeah, my other female, my daughter, Ivy.

Gavman and sons, some how I missed having a picture of Rhoda.

Monday night, every on is gone except for me, my two daughters, a friend and her daughter. We didn't need a big tub, rolled the logs closer together for a smaller, faster to fill, faster to heat, tub.

I know gavman has some good photos, hopefully he'll post a few.

jeeper
07-05-2007, 03:15 AM
Awesome !

Good to see the tubs bein built !

Bruce

Evan the Blue
07-05-2007, 04:08 AM
Looks like yall did a bang up job on the tub .... love the pic of all the kiddies giving the bird [5][5][5]

northernman
07-05-2007, 06:28 AM
:happy0045: Now thats just to funny. Great job on the tub does it get really hot?[slap] [slap] [slap]

Apathy
07-05-2007, 06:53 AM
never saw this till i move to BC, now i see it every camping trip. works well!

Honky
07-05-2007, 07:07 AM
Glad I could help with the details of the tub. The first time I saw Jeeper build one I was pretty impressed. He is the brain child behind the tub.

Looks like you guys had a great weekend. Are you going to bring the set up to Side bay?

HEAVY METAL
07-05-2007, 07:14 AM
trhats some cool stuff yo...

dustoff
07-05-2007, 07:18 AM
:happy0045: does it get really hot?[slap] [slap] [slap]

All three nights the water was so hot, you couldn't stay in the water, you needed some cool air. Next one will have hot and cold running water.

dustoff
07-05-2007, 07:21 AM
Are you going to bring the set up to Side bay?

It's now part of my camping gear, so yes I'll have it with me.

bakelite
07-05-2007, 08:13 AM
Nice set up...thanks![cheers]

Jeepnut
07-05-2007, 08:41 AM
I like the way you did your coil Ive been thinking about doing something similar[36]

fishrips
07-05-2007, 08:50 AM
Arn't bush hot tubs great. I've been building em for years. I have a similar coil setup, except I put my coil inside an old tin woodstove. Uses less wood and makes more heat.

Also, I've been using 500-700GPH bilge pumps for my hot tubs for years. They're cheap and they use much less power than RV type pumps like the sureflow. I can run my pump for almost 2 days strait on a deep cycle battery. Just thought I'd pass that along.

Honky
07-05-2007, 09:09 AM
I am sure the coil is more efficient but that sure would take up a lot of room. For me packing is all about inches…..you should see my trailer J
The Shurflow pump will run for a long time before draining a battery and your right the tubs get so hot you cant sit in them and we use a 2nd pump to run the cold in. Each morning we refill the tub so we don’t have to use chemicals but even then we will throw some bromine and shock in.

A hot tub on the west coast of Vancouver island will be really neat. Have to figure out a way to fill with sea water or there are a few streams running down the beach for a fresh water tub close to camp

redman
07-05-2007, 09:15 AM
looks like fun, and honky we will have to build on as well on the west coast...

Murd0c
07-05-2007, 10:06 AM
looks good, I love that pic with the kids [36][36][36][36]

g-rod
07-05-2007, 10:24 AM
someone should build em and sell em, id buy one

gavman
07-05-2007, 10:25 AM
Not too bad for a first attempt but the coil was not the best by the end of the weekend, It got pretty much crushed with the heat and the fact we had to move it a few times in a hurry cause the pump blocked.
We decided that the rectangular ones we have seen on here would be better in the long run and way more durable.
Worked allot of the bugs out with this set-up though and we will be back:party0010:
Ha ha the story of this one is going as far as Florida with the ranger and his wife this fall (Snowbirds), He said 40 plus years of camping and they never seen anything like it...He called me a NUFIE though:eek:

d0ubledown
07-05-2007, 11:24 AM
nice work guys!

lizard
07-05-2007, 03:28 PM
great shot of all the kids in the tub

Landlover
07-05-2007, 06:03 PM
nice looking tub. Good set up, I haven't tried that yet but looks great. It would be a bathtub for me, I'm a dirty bastard !

jeeper
07-05-2007, 06:09 PM

With all the drinkin that happens with havin a hot tub out in the bush you couldnt put enough warning labels etc to protect yourself from lawsuites !

We did sell them a long time ago -I think it was back before All Gore invented the internet ,,,but didnt do it for long !

nykoma
07-05-2007, 06:10 PM
[15] [15] [15] [15] the kids giving the bird

Ginger Snaps
07-05-2007, 06:18 PM
awesome pics!!!

Gibbs
07-05-2007, 06:52 PM
Sweet hot tub
We were up in Manning too and heard all about the famous campsite with a hot tub from a lady park ranger, She was really impressed
Good job guys[36] , looks like a blast!!

dustoff
07-05-2007, 07:33 PM
I have a similar coil setup, except I put my coil inside an old tin woodstove.

I would love to see some pics of your setup. I was pondering a way to make a smallish self contained unit. The open fire is nice, but it sure does use a lot of wood.

I want a small container with the pipe already installed, with a couple handles on the side, but big enough to store my hose, battery and pump on the inside for packing and traveling purposes.

My one real worry about such a setup is, what happens to the copper tubing if the water stops running? Does it burst? melt? When drinking in hot water, your mind goes amiss somethings and forgets the simple things like, what happened to the water flow.

dustoff
07-05-2007, 07:41 PM
For me packing is all about inches…..

Yeah, it is big, my first pack with the virgin coil was nice, it sat in a canvas bag with all the hose and motor packed inside the coil, small enough package. But the large expanded coil looks nice, but not to practical in the fire, it compacted on it's own and in the end stood about 6 inches high instead of 30 inches.

There still is some design to be done for me and my hot tub package. I would like to see it no bigger than one of those blue tupperware boxes, all parts included.

I love it. So for Bruce, thanks man, see you sunday.

dustoff
07-05-2007, 07:42 PM

Not sure I could make money selling or even break even, I'm into mine for about $500.

lizard
07-05-2007, 07:43 PM
I would love to see some pics of your setup.
My one real worry about such a setup is, what happens to the copper tubing if the water stops running? Does it burst? melt? When drinking in hot water, your mind goes amiss somethings and forgets the simple things like, what happened to the water flow.

Yup and it also shoots steaming hot water also ..... :eek:

dustoff
07-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Yup and it also shoots steaming hot water also .....

On the weekend, my hose got plugged, we got the coil out before it burst, but there was some very hot steaming water. I broke the joint taking it out of the fire, too much wood inside the coil. Was able to fix on site though. Didn't ruin the weekend.

humptyjumped
07-06-2007, 08:15 AM
That is the best thing ever.

I want 2.

Just because I can.

fishrips
07-06-2007, 09:52 AM
I would love to see some pics of your setup. I was pondering a way to make a smallish self contained unit. The open fire is nice, but it sure does use a lot of wood.

I want a small container with the pipe already installed, with a couple handles on the side, but big enough to store my hose, battery and pump on the inside for packing and traveling purposes.

I've had the coils run dry before, and they've never melted. They do build massive backpressure if you try to pump water back into them when they're hot, though. I've blown rubber hoses to bits before... LOL. I think the secret is to not have any soldered joints inside the stove. I have two pipes, one 30' coiled inside the stove, and another 20' inside the chimney. They are connected by a piece of rubber hose which is outside the stove. If the coils run dry and you make to much pressure pumping water back in, the hose blows in a big bang.

fishrips
07-06-2007, 10:00 AM
I would love to see some pics of your setup.

Here ya go...

Honky
07-06-2007, 10:02 AM
I have had a few coppers melt in the fire. Your right if the pump stops the water flowing you have about 5 minutes or less to get the copper out of the fire before you blow the rubber hose and it turns your copper coil into a big kettle that blows like when the hot water is ready. IF you leave your copper in after that it will melt right way so I have no idea how you can just leave your coil in your stove and have it last. What do you do when you blow a hose?

fishrips
07-06-2007, 10:09 AM
Usually I can get the water flowing again before it blows a hose. If I do blow a hose.. I just put the fire out.. run water through the pipes to cool them, undo the hose clamps and put on a new piece of hose. Toss a bit of lighter fluid and motor oil in the stove, add a match, and we're back in business. :o)

I put on quite a show for the other campers when the pipes did run dry. A big bang and then a massive plume of steam venting from the stove. Looked like an old locomotive was getting going... LOL.

99% of the time the stove runs flawlessly all weekend. The bilge pumps keep the water flowing well.

Mukaluk
07-06-2007, 11:05 AM
A tub is always a nice luxury to have while camping ;)

jeeper
07-06-2007, 01:01 PM
Hey Fishrips !

The coil in the stove is a great way to catch most of the heat !

What ive been wanting to build is one a stove that sits in the hottub -Im thinkin it would catch almost all the heat that way !No pump required other then to fill the tub and cool it down etc !

-one of these days ille git-r-dun :)

dustoff
07-07-2007, 10:34 AM
Here ya go...

Thanks for the pic. Looks cool, but a little bulkier than I had in mind.

You cart the stove around with you when your camping?

dustoff
07-07-2007, 10:40 AM
What ive been wanting to build is one a stove that sits in the hottub

I was looking into that for a setup at our cottage. I was hoping for some designs, but never really found any. I did find a couple of site that sold this style of stove.

http://www.cowboyhottubs.com/

Couple of days ago, I saw the someone mentioned Snorkel Tubs in another thread on FIBC.
http://snorkel.com/index.php

The stove at cowboy is designed for small tubs, but it might be a start for your project.

jeeper
07-07-2007, 01:48 PM
Ive seen that site before ! (the snorkal one)

I think its what put the idea into my head to do it for the camping hottub setup !(saw one like that at a sportsman show 4 years back )

We used to have a collapsable 4x8 x22inch deep tub ,,It folded down onto itself and the liner was bonded to the plywood . I was thinkin of reedoin a tub like that and build a stove to fit it .

The stove could be 14 inches wide by 44 inches and built to clamp on the outside rails/seat to hold it under water ! With the pipe out one end and a raised feeder door/airvent on the opposite end !

Once the tub is full you wouldnt need to keep the pumps goin other then to cool the tub down etc !

One of those things ive been wantin to do for a while and just havent gotten around to !