PDA

View Full Version : Intake/head locating dowels.

DirtyComanche
07-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Hopefully at least some of you will figure out what I'm talking about...

On a 4.0l head, there's two stubby/nub things which are used as locating dowels for the intake manifold. Likewise, on the intake there is two holes for them to go into...

So, say a guy grinds them off. Or cuts the holes out of the intake... Will the intake manifold still be able to be bolted up and not work itself loose or anything else bad?

(I've run into a problem with an aftermarket intake ment for a AMC 258. Trying to put it on a 4.0 head... Apparently the port design isn't shared between a 4.0 and 4.2. Too bad I didn't know that before now. If I raise the intake slightly it will solve this problem. But I'd have to cut the nubs or the intake...)

broken_down
07-04-2007, 08:39 PM
I have a spare 4.0 intake/manifold sitting in my garage if you are interested!

DirtyComanche
07-04-2007, 09:19 PM
Nope. This is a fuckup involving aftermarket parts.

Smurf131
07-05-2007, 12:55 PM
i know the dowels are extreemly important on lining up the head gasket and cylinder head but i think you should b ok not having them on the intake that's not such a critical thing to have perfectly lined up.

broken_down
07-06-2007, 06:55 AM
I think they are more of an alignment point for easier installation of the gasket and manifold. I wouldn't worry to much about it.....

Leithmc
07-06-2007, 07:57 AM
Would it be possible to drill the after market intake to accept the locators on your head? I assume you still have the O.E. intake for a template.

Leith

Caribourob
07-06-2007, 09:49 AM
Pretty sure they're a production assembly thing since everything needs to line up with the bolt holes anyway (gasket). They put these in to minimize the "fuck around" time for assembly on a production line. (I think).

Lynx
07-06-2007, 02:24 PM
Ya it helps a LOT for lining up the intake on that motor. I would find a stocker, do some measurements and try to drill it out to accept the dowels.

I'm sure you could mickey mouse it on, it would be hard line up all the ports on the intake because their are no actual bolt holes on it to line up.

I'm interested in knowing what you are acutually to do?

DirtyComanche
07-07-2007, 12:17 AM
I made it work. I just had to grow some balls and take the sawzall to a brand new intake.

It's just to run propane on a newer 4oh. The problem was I could only get a YJ intake that had a 4bbl pattern. Of course, it turns out clifford performance actually makes one for the 4oh. Wish I'd known that before. Ohwell, this dual pane manifold is pretty sweet.