PDA

View Full Version : Wiring a Jeep!

Jeep Victim
06-29-2007, 07:46 AM
I would like to have my jeep wired in a real basic manner,much like a stockcar or a dragster.Basically rip my dash out and toss it.Just wire in basic guages,speedo and Tach.A few toggle switches,also need my ignition wired as there are problems in it.Anyone on this site do this or have a good guy that does?.I'm only using the jeep for wheeling so it doesn't matter how fancy it is just has to work.

broken_down
06-29-2007, 08:19 AM
I would look into investing in a painless wiring kit. Most auto part shops carry them. ( ie. lordco, napa) They have numerous different types of kits to choose from....

Always broke
06-29-2007, 05:34 PM
I would look into investing in a painless wiring kit. Most auto part shops carry them. ( ie. lordco, napa) They have numerous different types of kits to choose from....
Don't do that talk to Epic he does all that stuff and he is really good told me all the reasons why not to use the painless kits .....but i'm too stupid to remember just PM him and remember the most important thing shut up phil

HEAVY METAL
06-29-2007, 05:37 PM
i did it too my chev n/p's.. only thing runnin on factory wiring is the lights....

UU
06-29-2007, 06:16 PM
positive +

negative -

ground

:dontknow:

Jeep Victim
06-29-2007, 09:18 PM
positive +

negative -

ground

:dontknow:

I can always count on you for a response that doesn't help at all[16]
at least your big you could probably lift heavy stuff,maybe you are kinda old!Thanks Heavy that is exactly what I'm looking for.

jeeper
06-30-2007, 02:19 AM
So may people really dont want to know the answers to the questions they ask !

So why ask if the dont want an answer?

Jeep Victim
07-01-2007, 08:04 AM
So may people really dont want to know the answers to the questions they ask !

So why ask if the dont want an answer?
What the hell are you talking about? I want to rip out my entire wiring and redo everything,put it on gauges and toggles.Pretty sure I need to find more than a ground and a neg and positive.If it was that basic everybody could wire their own vehicles,but thanks for your input!

mini
07-01-2007, 02:15 PM
i can do it as i do work for a race team and have wired a few racecars in my time here

nbrowser
07-01-2007, 07:12 PM
Jeep Victim, I'd look into a Painless Wiring kit, it basically comes with a fuse panel, and they do make different numbers of circuits in the kits, it all depends on how much crap you wanna run thru it, installation can sometimes be a snap or a pain in the arse, having wired verhicles from nothing, been there, done that, not fun but once done, a rewired vehicle is a dream, you drop all the BS stuff and go simple, that way if you have an issue, it's easier to find and fix. Just my two cents

DirtyComanche
07-01-2007, 09:58 PM
Despite what people say... Wiring is pretty simple - as long as you keep it simple.

Identify what you need. And what you don't. Then decide if it is quicker to take the existing wiring and cut out what you don't need, or to start over again. But, if you don't want to keep the factory wiring, but still want many features, a painless kit might be a good idea.

I'm rewiring mine. I think I have about 20 wires total, including 6 for the plugs! Hopefully it runs again..

Mr Vic
07-03-2007, 10:05 AM
hey Dean did you use electrical or mechanical guages?

tenpack
07-03-2007, 09:24 PM
Electrical is relatively simple,(still a pain in the ass) if you got the basics and keep it within what you know then it should be ok. I've thought about it, it seems simple yet im sure its complicated:

Switches for:
-starter
-ignition
-fuel pump
-lights(w/ gauges)
-wipers
-?

I like the 12volt guy panels, one central panel for all the simplistic stuff, clean and straight forward.

The problem i'd come into with something like this is forgetting something and the sheer size: ripping all of the current wiring out, re-wiring it all properly, ironing out the issues... a lot of many hours, probley could be done for under 5-6 w/ new wiring included done properly. Thats a guess.

HEAVY METAL
07-03-2007, 10:05 PM
mr vic... mechanical yo..

Jeep Victim
07-04-2007, 04:04 AM
Electrical is relatively simple,(still a pain in the ass) if you got the basics and keep it within what you know then it should be ok. I've thought about it, it seems simple yet im sure its complicated:

Switches for:
-starter
-ignition
-fuel pump
-lights(w/ gauges)
-wipers
-?

I like the 12volt guy panels, one central panel for all the simplistic stuff, clean and straight forward.

The problem i'd come into with something like this is forgetting something and the sheer size: ripping all of the current wiring out, re-wiring it all properly, ironing out the issues... a lot of many hours, probley could be done for under 5-6 w/ new wiring included done properly. Thats a guess.

This is basically what I'm looking for.Simple gauge pak.Ignition,lights wipers,heater(love winter wheeling)and some offroad lights.Already have my gauges.Need to just rip out the original I guess,make a little more room for the cage too!