PDA

View Full Version : Manual Hubs

BC_4RUNNER
06-21-2007, 07:02 AM
I am looking to help a friend get manual hubs put on a 03 Tundra 4.7L V8.

I know its a quick swap on the 4Runner but he was told it's a big job on the tundra. Has anyone ever done one and is it any harder than on the tacoma's or four runners. Or is just hard on the newer style hubs?[cheers]

redman
06-21-2007, 08:50 AM
ummm it was a huge pain in the ass on my truck cost me 1200 for the conversion kit. from www.downeyoffroad.com

Big_Ern
06-21-2007, 10:44 AM
sounds like a pain in the ass since the new tundra stuff is way different.

Why does he want to convert them? If they work well (which I assume they do) then why bother? Unless he doing a dumb t-bar crank type lift and wants to take the stress off his CV's from turning all the time, even in 2wd. But I dunno enough about tundras to even know if they work like that..?:dontknow:

d0ubledown
06-21-2007, 01:05 PM
not sure exactly how it is on the tundra, but the similar tacoma and newer gen runners..its a pain and expensive. you'll need new axles, either new spindles or pressing in new bearings in the ADD spindles...hubs of course...etc.

fwiw, the ADD shafts/flange setup are a bit stronger than their manual lockout counterparts, so unless he's gonna do a rediculous amount of lift without using a dropbracket (dont think they have tbars)...id stick with the ADD setup. its pretty bulletproof (for ifs). plus axle changes on the trail are alot quicker as well...

just my $.02

BC_4RUNNER
06-21-2007, 08:48 PM
Thanks guys[cheers]